PDA

View Full Version : Nylon Netting Under Sod Install?

Whitey4
10-13-2008, 10:49 PM
New customer who had a three year old staright rye grass sod job that suffered damage for CB and fungus problems. This is a typical customer for me... they want a perfect lawn. So, in the process of spot removing thatch and dead vegitation (I added top soil, seed, and top dressed) I found that this sod had nylon netting under it. I found at least one piece that still had not rooted into the soil, although the turf didn't look bad.

I had not seen this before, and it was a pain in the behind trying to do spot seeding repairs. This nylon netting was about one inch squares. Glad I didn't try to slice seed this property! I would have ripped the turf to shreds.

Anyone ever seen this before?

Runner
10-13-2008, 11:54 PM
Yes, This stuff will make a MESS of your slitseeder if you run over it. At that point, the easiest way to get it out of your spindle is to use a propane torch and melt through it on one side.

Whitey4
10-14-2008, 12:05 AM
Yes, This stuff will make a MESS of your slitseeder if you run over it. At that point, the easiest way to get it out of your spindle is to use a propane torch and melt through it on one side.

Is this nylon netting common? This was the first time I ever saw it....

lawn king
10-14-2008, 05:32 AM
I don't know how common it is but you run into it. I had a res account that had the same issue. When the lawn (seed) was installed they covered it with what they thought was burlap, the nylon eventually ended up under the lawn in the root zone, not a good situation.

mngrassguy
10-15-2008, 01:31 AM
It is used around here for seeding on sloped areas. It breaks down quickly in the sun but if it gets covered with soil it will last almost forever. It's a real bummer if you get it caught in your mower spindles.

Tadams
10-15-2008, 06:44 PM
When we get fescue sod around here it always has a net in it. At the sod farms they put the seed out and then lay the net over it. This helps hold the sod together so that you can handle it without it falling apart. It is nothing like bermuda or zoysia. They both have stolons and rhizomes to hold them together.

Whitey4
10-15-2008, 10:36 PM
Geeze, can't they use something that is less permanent than nylon? This sod job is 3 years old, and the stuff looks like it's been in the ground for 3 months. Pretty intact. Not easy to rip through either.

I can see the point in using some sort of netting on TTTF, most fescues and rye... the upright growth clumping grasses where sod can fall apart fairly easilly, but it ought to made of something that dissolves quickly. Three years later, and this stuff was like 6 pound test fishing line. I made sure to bury it as best I could....

But, I learned another lesson... check for this stuff BEFORE ever dethatching or slit seeding!

lawns Etc
10-20-2008, 01:27 PM
Almost all sod farms around me use it. It allows faster harvesting and is supposed to break down in under 5 years but I have seen lawns over 5 years old and the mesh is still going strong. 1 farm markets their sod as mesh free and thats the only sod that I will buy unless I cannot help it. With mesh in it I have seen fields harvested in Bluegrass and Fescue in less than 10 months from seeding thats way too early IMO

toddman36
10-22-2008, 11:07 PM
I've got some stuff here that is 10 years old and its still laying around in certain areas. It will really piss you off after a while.