PDA

View Full Version : driveway rip out

sven1277
10-14-2008, 01:31 PM
I am writing a proposal for replacing an older asphalt driveway with pavers. The current drive is structurally in good shape, no rutting and few cracks, just old. Can I use the existing process base or dig it out and replace it?

forestfireguy
10-14-2008, 05:06 PM
I'd never ever trust an existing base.........

shovelracer
10-14-2008, 09:00 PM
Here's why. We where getting ready to redo our driveway this year. The old one was fine, just narrow and a little closer to the house than we liked. Nothing that showed structural defects in the subgrade. We went to lay some conduit across in some spots and found that there was compost and garbage buried 1.5-2 feet under the surface. Turns out that they raised that section of the property 40-50 years ago and never cleaned it out. Maybe it wouldnt have settled anymore after that long, but the compost/wood was a concern. 200 yards of removal later we go it clean and are still in the process of bringing it back up. Point is you never know what is under there.

sven1277
10-14-2008, 09:09 PM
That's definately true, however, if you weren't laying a line you probably wouldn't have dug that deep and found the junk. Depending on how you view it, you might have gotton lucky to find it.

shovelracer
10-14-2008, 09:40 PM
True, but it was obvious that the fill wasnt from the property so that should have sent up a red flag. If it wasnt my property and was offering a warranty I would make sure you are on real good subgrade.

Mike33
10-14-2008, 10:48 PM
I think it not what you can gain , but what you can loose. If your going to that trouble go first class and do it right. I have seen a lot of 1/2 ass work in the blacktop business. There are a lot of good ones don't get me wrong, but there is a lot of rip off artists doing blactop work and compaction is not in there style.
Mike

PatriotLandscape
10-16-2008, 09:38 PM
depends on if you want to do a good job or not. In CT you have pretty cold winters it could not work the way you think.

sven1277
10-18-2008, 12:42 AM
Thanks for the input