PDA

View Full Version : One-handed operation on walk-behinds?

tyler_mott85
10-14-2008, 12:40 PM
Anyone know of any walk-behinds that you can operate with one hand? Gravely is one, I use a 48" now. I thought it was very weird and touchy at first but when you learn to use the other hand to hold onto the mower you feel much more secure on rough terrain and the mower it a lot easier to get up on curbs since you can push down on the handle with your other hand.

I used Snapper before and thought it was the way to go, but after this Gravely experience I think it would be very hard to get back to using two hands to operate one.

Any others out there?

Herrick
10-14-2008, 12:46 PM
I can drive my toro T-bar with one hand...

bohiaa
10-14-2008, 01:24 PM
sounds like a safety issue to me

toddman36
10-14-2008, 02:10 PM
I can op. my old exmark metro 36 one handed. I'd bet the new ones have safety switches that will kill it if you remove your hand though..

tyler_mott85
10-14-2008, 03:37 PM
sounds like a safety issue to me

Hardly dangerous. Very safe. I would think that not being able to hold onto the mower securely without jerking the controls would be a safety issue. Like if you hit a pothole in the lawn and both hands are on the controls... your automatic reaction is to grasp which would make the mower go crazy! With one hand you have a firm grip on the mower already so you wont want to react.

The Gravely has an operator presence bar on both controllers if you let both of them go the blades cut out. You only have to hold onto one controller for the safety switch to be okey dokey! The two bars mount on the outside of the handle bar and bend inwards until they almost touch in the middle.

It's just like driving a walker except the bars will go back to neutral position on their own. You push them forward to move.

brandtb1
10-14-2008, 04:23 PM
I can drive my exmark with one hand, but I can only turn the direction that I am holding on. I have never tried a one handed model, but it would be interesting to see how it works. Do you have to have one hand pushing the speed controls at all times? I would think it would be easy to hit a hole and bang the family jewels into the mower.

tyler_mott85
10-14-2008, 05:15 PM
Yes you have to constantly have your hand pushing the speed controls forward. But there is barely any resistance. Its just enough to move the controls back to neutral on their own. Theres a bar behind the controls and in front of the controls. If you're going fast you can grasp the bar in front while holding onto the controls to hold you steady. I use my left hand to stear and my right hadn to hold onto the rear bar.

Two Seasons
10-14-2008, 09:55 PM
Our Scag Pro-V can easily be operated one-handed-forward, reverse, and turns-no problem. Nice for alongside brush lines.

Easiest walk I've ever owned!

George Mason
10-15-2008, 12:05 AM
I'll let my Ferris hydro go every once in a while one handed to get under a pine tree, holding on to the outside handle as mine has touch sensor. Every time I have done this, I have been going real slow and I feel like it was the lazy and unsafe way to go about it - i.e. not practicing what I preach:hammerhead:

Real Mayo
10-15-2008, 09:21 PM
I'm with you on that one, George Mason, regarding the Ferris. When I'm showing off or going around pine trees I utilize the one-handed method. The only thing you can't do one-handed is go in reverse evenly. Both handles have pos. and neg. throttle controls so you can operate it effectively. However, go slower and be diligent when practicing these manuevers.

STIHL GUY
10-16-2008, 09:55 PM
i go one handed around pricker bushes but most of the time when im mowing i use 2 hands

sweetz
10-16-2008, 11:33 PM
I can drive my toro T-bar with one hand...

I was going to say that. Most of the time 2 hands is the only way to go, but I can do forward, left or right with one hand with no problems.

Kennedy Landscaping
10-16-2008, 11:39 PM
I run a Gravely. I can do it one handed but I will only go one handed if I reach out to graba branch or something, other than that its two hands for me. It can be done though

ProTouch Groundscapes
10-16-2008, 11:43 PM
i second that our Pro-V is the easiest to operate one handed. using one hand does not create any safety issues with the way it is setup. its nice when you have to get the mower into tight spots, or just want to carry a trimmer with the other hand while you go off to mow a section further from the trailer. the presence sensor is second to none, all that it requires is a finger's touch on the grips.

Kennedy Landscaping
10-16-2008, 11:47 PM
i second that our Pro-V is the easiest to operate one handed. using one hand does not create any safety issues with the way it is setup. its nice when you have to get the mower into tight spots, or just want to carry a trimmer with the other hand while you go off to mow a section further from the trailer. the presence sensor is second to none, all that it requires is a finger's touch on the grips.

My safety switches on the steering levers have been disabled:rolleyes:
I like to be able to leave it running if I need to walk away to grab something from the trailer or to dump the bag, ya know just what ever:walking:

George Mason
10-16-2008, 11:52 PM
No doubt, like I said, I do it and then I say to myself "you are asking for trouble" even though there is no close call or anything. Its just cutting a corner, something a good many of us are guilty of every once in a while, or so it appears on this thread.

ProTouch Groundscapes
10-16-2008, 11:52 PM
ya but then all you have to do is put it in neutral and engage the brake and it stays idling. or do you mean with the blades engaged as well?