PDA

View Full Version : need purgula ideas

Flow Control
10-14-2008, 04:15 PM
Customer request: Softly light up 20x20 purgula.

Anyone have pics of similar

Anyone have any ideas/concepts

Thanks in advance

S&MLL
10-14-2008, 04:23 PM
Metal, Wood?

I sometimes use Kichler hanging plant lights around the outsides. Sometimes cross light from the beams. Sometimes down light. I always wanted to put a Kichler chandelier in but haven't found the right pergola yet.

Flow Control
10-14-2008, 04:28 PM
wood, and I appreciate the input

Mike M
10-14-2008, 04:47 PM
pics help, can you get some snap shots?

Down lighting sounds great, especially if you have some focal points.

TXNSLighting
10-14-2008, 04:55 PM
Yeh pics would be the best. But down lighting is the best for pergolas. Sometimes uplighting will work as well.

Flow Control
10-14-2008, 05:22 PM
You guys have any pics of them lighted, I am not going back to the site before her deadline of Friday.

TXNSLighting
10-14-2008, 05:37 PM
Do a search. theres several.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-14-2008, 05:46 PM
Without some photos of the object it is pretty much impossible to suggest design ideas to you. It will all come down to the style of structure, construction techniques, use of the space within, etc.

Generally speaking, you can do some very nice downlighting using flush mounted, small scale fixtures such as the Hunza #DL and #WS or the Nightscaping Guardian or Mini Stylist (don't forget your honeycomb glare louvers). Uplighting can be effective when there are vines or clinging foliage at the posts. Always keep in mind the different lines of sight that people will have when sitting or lounging while under the pergola.

Best of luck.

irrig8r
10-14-2008, 05:59 PM
I have an idea. Try spelling it pergola.

Mike M
10-14-2008, 06:35 PM
Gregg, how is good spelling gonna help?

The owner said "soft" lighting. I get a kick out of that. They usually don't mean "diffused" lighting when they say that, they most likely mean no bad lighting and they have no idea what that is.

Anyhow. He needs pics by Friday, and he doesn't want to take them himself. Someone needs to volunteer to drive out there and take the pics.

Anyhow again, pergolas are probably the easiest thing to work with, since they are seemingly built with the sole purpose of being a great platform from which to hang lights. I don't think you could badly illuminate one. And if you did, you could just move the fixtures until everyone goes "oooo".

The Lighting Geek
10-14-2008, 09:00 PM
Tim it sounds like we need you to wind up the rotors. You fly and I'll shoot! :)
Pictures of course...

Flow Control
10-15-2008, 02:27 PM
Thanks for you help. Especially Greg. I mean Gregg.