PDA

View Full Version : mowing a lawn after overseeding???

DillonsLawnCare
10-14-2008, 07:28 PM
Ok, so i over-seeded a lawn on sunday. i cut it prior to the seeding. it is also an irrigated lawn. i've been watching it, and its been growing pretty fast for some reason. i have to cut it tomorrow afternoon, because i'm going out of town on thursday.

Will i harm the seed by cutting?? need some help. Thanks!!!

billslawn89
10-14-2008, 07:37 PM
what kind of seed was it and can you see any new grass and how long is it.

Green Pastures
10-14-2008, 08:00 PM
I do not mow newly seeded lawns for two weeks.

topsites
10-14-2008, 08:01 PM
I do not mow newly seeded lawns for two weeks.

That is the only correct answer I know, and I like to say at least 2 weeks.

DillonsLawnCare
10-14-2008, 08:29 PM
ok...........crap.......it was fescue

ALC-GregH
10-14-2008, 08:34 PM
That is the only correct answer I know, and I like to say at least 2 weeks.

ditto...... that stuff is like a fragile little baby, it's just getting started and has to be handled with care. Best get out the push mower when you do it. Don't want to smash all them babies. :D

IN2MOWN
10-14-2008, 08:39 PM
If you do have to mow it and there are no other options then use a push mower. But I would not do it either for at least 2 weeks.

DillonsLawnCare
10-14-2008, 08:51 PM
so...i cannot mow with my walk-behind.

delphied
10-14-2008, 09:07 PM

Might as well use the WB since the pressure on the seeds will be about the same due to the larger tires.

IN2MOWN
10-14-2008, 09:42 PM

I wouldn't.

dishboy
10-14-2008, 09:42 PM
Four days and fall weather, I doubt your seed has germinated. I would mulch so you don't suck up any seed other than that you will be fine.

DillonsLawnCare
10-14-2008, 10:29 PM
i dont have mulch on demand..... should i mow, then buy more seed and do it again???

DuallyVette
10-14-2008, 11:07 PM
After aerating and overseeding and fertilizing, I usually skip mowing for a week or two. By then, the customer would start feeling neglected. If the lawn had plenty of established areas, they would need to be cut. Letting it get 12 inches tall, and then cutting it to 4 inches tall, would be harsh treatment of the established turf. After the seed has been watered in pretty well, I doubt your going to blow it around.

In the last 30 years that I've been in this industry, I have yet to see any problems from mowing as long as the ground is dry enough.

DillonsLawnCare
10-14-2008, 11:32 PM
After aerating and overseeding and fertilizing, I usually skip mowing for a week or two. By then, the customer would start feeling neglected. If the lawn had plenty of established areas, they would need to be cut. Letting it get 12 inches tall, and then cutting it to 4 inches tall, would be harsh treatment of the established turf. After the seed has been watered in pretty well, I doubt your going to blow it around.

In the last 30 years that I've been in this industry, I have yet to see any problems from mowing as long as the ground is dry enough.

well, they have a sprinkler system, and i cut it at 3.5 to keep it green. so i guess ill go ahead and cut it.

Thanks for all the help so far!!!

DuallyVette
10-14-2008, 11:46 PM
well, they have a sprinkler system, and i cut it at 3.5 to keep it green. so i guess ill go ahead and cut it.

raise the deck if possible. 4 inches is my favorite.

IN2MOWN
10-15-2008, 07:54 AM

Actually cutting it shorter with a push mower is better. After 2 weeks or so of letting it grow I usually cut it at 2.75 to let the sunlight get in there and do its work.The longer you cut new fesuce the poorer results you will get.

dcombs
10-15-2008, 09:25 AM
DillonsLawnCare

did you overseed by broadcasting or slitseeding? was there any other preperations that you took in hand before overseeding?

topsites
10-15-2008, 09:36 AM

It's not to say I have never done it, and mine turned out all right and yours might
but there are no guarantees, I would be prepared to back it up with a (free of charge)
50 pound bag of seed in the early spring should it turn out for the worse.

Also I might go ahead and turn down the rpm's on the mower some,
back off Wot a bit, that way it shouldn't disturb the process as much.

joeco129
10-15-2008, 10:02 AM
I just overseeded also and had some questions. I used a core plug aerator prior to seeding and got a high quality sun/shade mix from a Shemin Nursery in town. The also supplied me with a high end starter fertilizer... I'm a remodeling contractor, not a landscaper, but have a commercial account at Shemin... so the plantings at my house are very nice quality... Anyway I had some spots that had no grass in the front yard, so it was heavily seeded. That was about 10 days ago and I now have grass, everywhere, roughly an inch tall, still thin blades... Obviously I can still see dirt in the spots that were completly bare but it is definitly filling it in...

I don't have a push mower, just a lawn tractor... So how long before I put the tractor on it to mow? Some of the existing lawn that was there is getting high because of the fert I put down. I don't really care if it gets a little out of control. My concern is managing the new seedlings as best I can. I spent some good money on the seed and fertilizer and want to do it right.

One last question.... should I fert again before winter... and what is best to use? I'll go back to Shemin for that too.

Thanks, Joe

Any suggestions?

topsites
10-15-2008, 10:03 AM
Jeez, at LEAST TWO WEEKS.
lol

DuallyVette
10-15-2008, 09:00 PM
Actually cutting it shorter with a push mower is better. After 2 weeks or so of letting it grow I usually cut it at 2.75 to let the sunlight get in there and do its work.The longer you cut new fesuce the poorer results you will get.

I disagree. The areas with tall grass really don't need more grass plants...just stronger plants. 4inch tall grass will help keep the newer grass from drying out so quickly.

Grass is pretty hardy. It'll probably survive no matter what all you do wrong.:)

IN2MOWN
10-15-2008, 11:01 PM
I disagree. The areas with tall grass really don't need more grass plants...just stronger plants. 4inch tall grass will help keep the newer grass from drying out so quickly.

Grass is pretty hardy. It'll probably survive no matter what all you do wrong.:)

The problem with new taller grass is that is does not allow the sunlight to get down near the stem and we all know where good grass starts and thats in the soil and the root system.

Also the taller it gets the more it will start to lay over smothering itself.

jtruck618
10-15-2008, 11:12 PM
It is fescue so it probably has not germinated yet. If it has, more than likely it has not grown out of the aerated hole. Mow it and don't loose any sleep. It will be fine. Espically if it is an irragated lawn.

ALC-GregH
10-15-2008, 11:18 PM
Joe, is it easy enough to mow around the area you seeded? Thats what I intend on doing in my back lawn. I have like 8 or so areas that are small that I seeded and strawed and I need to mow. The seedlings are about 2-3in long.

IN2MOWN
10-16-2008, 07:19 AM
Some of you guys are also forgetting how fragile the new grass is. If he takes a ZTR on it there is a good chance when he turns he will lose some of the new grass.

Just do the right thing and be careful.Why invest all this time trying to grow it and then ruin it? It takes an extra few minutes to push mow something.

DillonsLawnCare
10-16-2008, 11:01 PM
ok, i mowed the yard wednesday afternoon. i cut all the areas that needed grass to be filled in with a push mower, then for the lush areas, i cut with my walk-behind.

i watched to see if i was taking any of the seed with me, and i wasn't. since the lawn is irrigated, the seed was like dried into the soil from where the lawn was soaked.

about 90% of the seed remained!!

also, i did not aerate this yard. i didnt want to go through the trouble of muscling the aerator. so, in the bare spots, i poke holes in the ground with a pitchfork. i also pulled some weeds and hand planted the seed. so im hoping this will work.

But, thank you everyone for your advice!!

brucec32
10-17-2008, 11:52 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you, yet another newly minted "lawn professional" who knows less than most customers do about lawns!

IN2MOWN
10-17-2008, 01:06 PM
ok, i mowed the yard wednesday afternoon. i cut all the areas that needed grass to be filled in with a push mower, then for the lush areas, i cut with my walk-behind.

i watched to see if i was taking any of the seed with me, and i wasn't. since the lawn is irrigated, the seed was like dried into the soil from where the lawn was soaked.

about 90% of the seed remained!!

also, i did not aerate this yard. i didnt want to go through the trouble of muscling the aerator. so, in the bare spots, i poke holes in the ground with a pitchfork. i also pulled some weeds and hand planted the seed. so im hoping this will work.

But, thank you everyone for your advice!!

Aearating and overseeding do not go hand in hand as most people think it does. If you want the best results for seeding you should use a verticuter, slice one direction, seed, slice the opposite direction and then seed again.

Aearation is more for helping the soil and the root system then overseeding.