PDA

View Full Version : Wright's Wrong spindles......

Lawn Pawn
10-14-2008, 08:38 PM
Please.... posted in mechanic forum...... did the search thing.... and still coming up with no answer!

At less than 400 Hrs. my 36 inch Wright Stander has a spindle squealing like a stuck pig. Replace with the same craptacular assembly or can I use a spindle from another mower? Hopefully a greaseable unit like Scag.

Thanks...

landmk
10-14-2008, 08:58 PM
My 36" blew a spindle at about 500hrs. thought that was odd at the time but I did not think too much about it, At the time I had a guy working for me that was rough on my machines needless to say he is somebody else's problem now so maybe there is a problem with the wright spindles on the 36" after all, Just for your 411 Oregon make a spindle that fits your stander and it's has the grease Zerk that you are looking for make sure you ask your dealer or parts supplier for that brand and you should have no more problems getting grease in the spindle. Just don't forget to grease every 40hrs. or so K.

sven1277
10-14-2008, 09:29 PM
landmk, do those replacement oregon spindles use thru bolts like scag or the reg bolts like wright. I had 2 bolts on so tight, I had to bring it to a local shop and they had to use the 1400lb ft impact gun to get them loose. My 300lb cordless had no chance.

Lawn Pawn
10-14-2008, 09:47 PM
LANDMK..... Went to Oregon's website and cannot find info. on ordering... or much of anything on the spindles.

It shows they make them and have references about them but nothing can I find specific. Thanks for the lead.... I'm trying to scratch something up.

ed2hess
10-14-2008, 10:31 PM
Mine went out at 600 hrs and was under warrnty so..my dealer took the inside covers off the bearings on the new spindles and put a grease zert on and an overflow hole. We will see how long they go we are now passing the 600 hrs on the new ones. Next up ....put Scag spindles in they do fit up just have to get a shorter bolt that goes thru the center.

Lawn Pawn
10-15-2008, 12:18 PM
After hours on the phone.... and emailing... I could not find any non OEM replacement spindles for MY Wright 36 stander! Oregon... J Thomas.... Ebay nothing!!

Lots of info about modifying Scags to work, but no plug and play!!! So it's $150 with shipping for another Wright piece of crap spindle.

Wright Mfg. why do you do this to us!!!! Your answer is..... well nobody greases them if we did build a decent one like Scag anyway. Well.. YOU ARE SADLY MISTAKEN..WAKE UP!!

Lawn Pawn
10-15-2008, 01:04 PM
Got off the phone after ordering my $150 spindle.

Brought the mail in.... new Russo catalog... dropped it on the table and it opened up to spindle assemblies!!!!!!!!!!!! Wright Standers 36/42inch.. $64.99

Life will go on.

heybruck34
10-15-2008, 01:31 PM
so call up and cancel the order. Easy call for me- buy 2 for the price of 1. Capitalism rules in the US, at least for a couple more years...

I'm buying a Sentar on Saturday and the only thing reallly giving me pause is the craptacular spindles as you call it.

WRIGHT'S THINKING - "Let's make an inferior product and penalize everyone rather than making a quaility product that requires some maintenance and only penalize the few who choose not to do that maintenance."

Lawn Pawn
10-15-2008, 01:50 PM
Really wanted to call and cancel...... but this dealer has really been good to me on the phone with all my questions etc. Did not buy the mower from him but from one of his customers.

The non OEMs are cheeper... and it is two for the price of one to be sure. I may order one for the other side and have one of each in? My other spindle does rumble a little now.

Lawn Pawn
10-15-2008, 01:56 PM
What the mechanic did tell me..... the guys that put LOTS of hours on their Wrights never put the OEM spindles back after they crap out!

They modify the Scag assemblies and are good to go for sometimes thousands of hours. Anybody from Wright getting this?

Mowing Freak
10-15-2008, 02:00 PM
Don't know about how your spindles look as I don't have your type of mowers but this works for all sealed bearings. Get a "grease needle" found at most automotive parts stores or farm stores and get a good grease and stick the needle between the plastic cover and bearing and fill with grease. Will extend the life of that bearing a lot longer. I do that with all the bearings I can. Works for me anyway.

landmk
10-15-2008, 07:40 PM
Lawn Pawn, Sorry took so long to respond it was getting past my bed time, So anyway to answer your questions yes the OEM bolts match right up with no problem at all and yes this is absolutely Oregon made spindle in fact after talking to you I checked the box ( I keep spares on hand for all of my machines to limit down time) and the box says Oregon on it with there logo, Have you tried express mower parts I have had very good luck finding what I needed from them, Also 150.00 seems a bit high for a spindle last time I bought OEM it was around 110.00 ouch!!!! I hopes this helps you out in your quest. K.

landmk
10-15-2008, 07:50 PM
Lawn Pawn, One more thing when you reassemble your spindle put never seize on the bolt and you will not have any more problems getting bolts off, I know up here in the north east the fertilizers have a lot of urea in them and it corrodes anything it comes in contact with especially steel bolts, Just in case there is a next time for a spindle replacement ( hopefully not). K.:)

Richard Martin
10-15-2008, 07:58 PM
in fact after talking to you I checked the box ( I keep spares on hand for all of my machines to limit down time) and the box says Oregon on it with there logo,

Can you provide the part number off of the box? It sometimes make it easier to do a web search if you know exactly what you're looking for. :)

ed2hess
10-15-2008, 08:25 PM
What the mechanic did tell me..... the guys that put LOTS of hours on their Wrights never put the OEM spindles back after they crap out!

They modify the Scag assemblies and are good to go for sometimes thousands of hours. Anybody from Wright getting this?

As I said we modified the Wright spindles by installing grease zerts and took the bearings out and took the inside seal/cover off the bearings so grease could get up into them. They have already passed 600 hours. Wright responded to my negative comment a few months ago on lawnsite by saying they just couldn't trust that people would grease them.. Funny but I guess Scag takes the risk and doesn't have any problems.....never ever had a Scag spindle fail. And the scag spindle will fit up in the Wright.

Lawn Pawn
10-15-2008, 10:12 PM
Would like to say thank you very much to everybody for all the help and very insightful suggestions.

I will indeed attempt to put a zerk in the new OEM spindle if I am able to pop it apart. The failed spindle did have moisture inside and a bit of a rust scum. I'm sure that was in part reason for the early failure.

It indeed has been a learning experience... as problems like this always are, and learning is good. It is however a bit distressing to have so much conflicting information from the parts houses and manufactures. It's guys like you helping guys like me that make it possible to wade though all the bilge water out there and get something accomplished by the end of the day.

Thanks!