PDA

View Full Version : Tecumseh Closing Doors

AmsoilPower
10-14-2008, 10:51 PM
Was told yesterday by a central distributor salesman that effective Dec. 31st all U.S. and Canadian distributors will no longer carry Tecumseh. Tecumseh is closing its doors, not filing bankruptcy. Bottom line.......If you have engines on your equipment, stock up on parts NOW!!! There will no longer be any parts produced and once the warehouses are out, that's it. He thought Peerless would stay operational for now but was not totally sure. If you have warranty engines, you are SOL at the end of the year. Most dealers will probably shut-off warranty work around Nov. 15th to be sure they get paid in time. My warehouse has already been told that when the last one of a particular part # is sold, it will automatically supercede to a Oregon # in their computer system.

Appears that Tecumseh lost out on a huge snowblower engine contract (MTD I assume)and that was the final blow. Kohler is developing snowblower engines quickly to fill the void. Kohler already has a new rotary mower engine new this year. Thought everyone would like to know this. Look for a official announcement very soon.

Jason Rose
10-14-2008, 11:07 PM
Wow, that was my first thought, what about snowblowers? But I guess that's being covered... I have one Techumseh on an old Ariens snowblower. As crappy of an engine as many of them are this one NEVER fails. I bet it would start in one or two pulls right now and it hasn't ran since Feb.

Anyway... That's kinda sad, Techumseh was a big name in OPE for many years.

Grits
10-14-2008, 11:40 PM
Thank God!

topsites
10-15-2008, 02:42 AM
Well now hang on a second...
And it would bug me if a tranny craps out and I can't find no spare parts.
But at the same rate they still have to stick something in every
single new mower that comes off the assembly line, right?
No tranny, no mower.

So somebody a lot bigger than me has a whole lot of problem too and I am pretty sure
before I even start to worry about this the entire thing will have been resolved.

Just have to wait and see what happens.

Thank God!

LOL I tell ya even with two peerless trannies I just don't feel the pain either.
And I am sorry, but that's just how the cookie crumbles.

Richard Martin
10-15-2008, 05:00 AM
It was only a matter of time. No biggie.

Roger
10-15-2008, 06:32 AM

The stockholders in the company have a bigger stake in the matter than an LCO with a tranny that may be subject to failure. Those making a financial decision to close doors have a responsibility to those owning the shares in the company. I think we just heard much about those in high places having a disregard for those owning the shares in the company, and those words weren't very pretty.

Exact Rototilling
10-15-2008, 12:24 PM
Great . . . I just bought a new for 2008/2009 Toro single stage with the new Tecumseh snow King 5.5hp 4 stroke. :cry:

I have been hearing of rumors of them going under for over a year now. :hammerhead:

jkason
10-15-2008, 12:55 PM
But at the same rate they still have to stick something in every
single new mower that comes off the assembly line, right?
No tranny, no mower.

So somebody a lot bigger than me has a whole lot of problem too and I am pretty sure
before I even start to worry about this the entire thing will have been resolved.

Just have to wait and see what happens.

LOL I tell ya even with two peerless trannies I just don't feel the pain either.
And I am sorry, but that's just how the cookie crumbles.

Dana/Spicer will probably fill the void.

bbcmat
10-15-2008, 02:43 PM
I'm sure the aftermarket will come out with adapter plates for existing applications - allowing use of their power units.

Would have to be easier than jamming a big block into a Vega!

MAT

DLCS
10-15-2008, 02:51 PM
Wow, some really heartless S.O.B. 's on this site.

What about all the workers who will lose their jobs, pensions, and benefits. The USA doesn't need another manufacturer to go under, this country can't afford that right now. I'm sad to see them go.

ZTR_Diesel
10-15-2008, 02:54 PM
Well, my old 1980 model arends tiller with the 9hp Tecumseh hasen't failed, just one carb rebuild in all these years. And our 1975 model arends with the 7hp Tecumseh hasn't even required that yet. But then again this is the way they used to be built. Doubt they could afford it any more.

I do feel bad for those who worked from them, wonder if thier pensions, etc will be gone as well

heybruck34
10-15-2008, 05:08 PM
good riddance. Sorry for the folks who lose their job but I can't tell you how many times I looked at a peice of equipment only to find it had a damn Tecumseh on it.

Pass.

hillbilly_lawnboy
10-15-2008, 05:13 PM
whats next B&S then Kohler. that really is sad even though they werent the greatest engines in the world. i have a bolens with an old ohv tecumseh on it and it hasnt required anything to date. you know this **** is really getting bad when one of the worlds largest ope engine manufactures bites the dust

topsites
10-15-2008, 06:12 PM
The stockholders in the company have a bigger stake in the matter than an LCO with a tranny that may be subject to failure. Those making a financial decision to close doors have a responsibility to those owning the shares in the company. I think we just heard much about those in high places having a disregard for those owning the shares in the company, and those words weren't very pretty.

Yes but the reason my sympathy is at such an all-time low is because I was just reading on the news
how some of the CEO's of these now-bankrupt financial institutions were drawing salaries of...
Get this: 70 million dollars a year!

So I just don't feel all that sorry about it.

As for the stock holders, they can kiss my tail too.
Their choice, their loss, they knew full well when they bought the stock that the possibility
they might lose their entire investment existed and that this possibility was real!
And if it makes any difference how do they think I feel at my age with no real retirement savings?

So tough luck, life ain't been easy here either we've had a drought for two years straight and this whole sham
with the economy has just been going on and on and the whole thing with the price of fuel didn't help either,
not to mention half the reason it was so dang high was all the speculating which, doesn't that deal with stocks?

And it may not help them but it helps me BREATHE easier knowing somebody else out there is suffering some too.
Tired of busting my tail for peanuts, but since I know everyone else isn't having the time of their lives either, I'm all right.
Hell yeah LOL

Richard Martin
10-15-2008, 06:51 PM
Why don't you tell us how you really feel topsites! :dizzy:

Grits
10-15-2008, 07:23 PM
Wow, some really heartless S.O.B. 's on this site.

What about all the workers who will lose their jobs, pensions, and benefits. The USA doesn't need another manufacturer to go under, this country can't afford that right now. I'm sad to see them go.

I'm sure they will start an LCO. :)

tallimeca
10-15-2008, 09:17 PM
they were bought out by an investment company a few months back....

This probably explains why it's October and we can't get any more Snowblowers from Ariens...........

Alot of oem's are building their own engine. MTD started doing their own engines a few years back and now steam lined them.

Husqvarna is soon to be building their own engines for their consumer product. Doesn't makes sense to buy briggs engines from briggs, when briggs owns competition like simplicity, snapper....ect.

Roger
10-15-2008, 09:32 PM
Yes but the reason my sympathy is at such an all-time low is because I was just reading on the news
how some of the CEO's of these now-bankrupt financial institutions were drawing salaries of...
Get this: 70 million dollars a year!

As for the stock holders, they can kiss my tail too.

You have painted the CEO situation with a very broad brush. Taking the case of abuse of a few and spreading the principle across the whole lot is taking great liberty with the facts.

You may wish the stockholders to take certain actions with respect to your body parts. But, without investment from these folks, how would companies expand, make capital expenditures, hire people, etc.? Are you suggesting that companies only be privately held? Do you think that no public offerings should be made? Revisiting company ownership is a huge leap because of some of today's financial woes.

Grassmechanic
10-16-2008, 04:48 PM
I'm with the guys that say "good riddance"

VegetiveSteam
10-23-2008, 04:19 PM
I agree with you Mike. Whether you liked Tecumseh engines or not they were building a very good product. I've been dealing with Tecumseh engines for over 20 years and I too am sad to see them go.

WREBELMACHINE
10-23-2008, 05:52 PM
It is sad I have used there enduro engines for years on leaf bagger machines they always worked great! Also there are several cutters repowering there ztr mowers with there v-twin engines and having good success with them! Too bad!

nosparkplugs
10-23-2008, 06:09 PM
Sad to see, them go under; however this is the current trend, I have said time & time again more well established companies will be going under in the months to come. Their is still another wave of bank closing, and home Foreclosures, as the economy flushes the pipes.

MOW ED
10-23-2008, 08:12 PM
Good riddance as far as my personal feelings go. They may once have made a decent product but in the last few yers they made junk. I could have told you it was gonna happen.
My bad experience was with a snow king engine. It blew a hole out the side for no good reason just out of warranty. (homeowner use) and about 8 hours on a maintained engine. Just blew the casting to hell. I was at GIE and saw a Tecumseh rep. He gave me his card and told me to call him because low and behold an air powered device on the assembly line was defective during a run of snow king engines.
That jag bag never would talk to me. And this rotten company was just down the state from me.
Second rate garbage with crappy employees. No one ever cared what I thought then, I don't really care that they are gone. Made in America used to mean something. They were a disgrace in my book. Sorry for the strong rant and this is my opinion only. I see some of you have had good luck and I feel for you if you like them.

tallimeca
10-23-2008, 09:22 PM
made in america?

Made in America used to mean something. They were a disgrace in my book. Sorry for the strong rant and this is my opinion only. I see some of you have had good luck and I feel for you if you like them

They closed the north american plant years ago and were being produced in brasil.

Replacement parts were coming in saying made in Czech...

We go official notification they will close their doors on december 15th. They will continue to offer parts and warranty reimbursement into the spring.

Rumors have been MTD to purchase...but they have their own motor now...... Ariens to purchase.......looked into it years ago but kinda in a pickle now. They can buy and fix tecumseh, or support their competitors by buying engines from the same people that build snowblowers to sell against them. Husqvarna was looking into doing their own engines, this may be a good opportunity to build on.

There's a billion tecumseh motors out there, so someone would make it worth their while to pick up the pieces and at least keep parts flowing.

This news is going to create absolute chaos trying to sell new snowblowers with engines on them from a company who is going belly up.

joed
10-23-2008, 09:54 PM
Wow, what a said situation. Tecumseh's demise is a sign of the times. It's very difficult to watch companies that have been around for decades going under.

I just bought a new Toro powerlite snowblower. It has a 98cc tecumseh engine on it. I'm wondering if I return it if parts aren't going to be available any more?

hillbilly_lawnboy
10-23-2008, 10:16 PM
warranty work will have to be provided until all current units are out of warranty. there are laws that protect buyers. lets just say ford goes under tomarrow. someone has to provide warranty work reguardless.

newz7151
10-24-2008, 12:05 AM
warranty work will have to be provided until all current units are out of warranty. there are laws that protect buyers. lets just say ford goes under tomarrow. someone has to provide warranty work reguardless.

Tell that to all of the people who had ColemanPowermate products when they went bankrupt earlier this year. If there's no money to keep the company going, where exactly do you think money (or parts) for warranty repairs are going to come from? :laugh::laugh: So, don't post in this thread again until you find and post a link to this "law" that you speak of.

saw man
10-24-2008, 12:18 AM
The Tecumseh engines sold on Sears product never had a Tecumseh warranty. Sears wanted a better price did not want warranty through Tec. They (Sears)handled the warranty themselves but many people did not want to take it to them and would rather pay someone else to fix it.

They did go cheap to try and get business but with the Chinese engines out they could not make it.

A poster a few back called the employees bad but I think that is a bit harsh! They just do what is told and you should really look at the higher up.

It is too bad though, we make a lot off repairing these engines.

MOW ED
10-24-2008, 07:46 AM
They did go cheap to try and get business but with the Chinese engines out they could not make it.

A poster a few back called the employees bad but I think that is a bit harsh! They just do what is told and you should really look at the higher up.

It is too bad though, we make a lot off repairing these engines.

They went cheap and they really didn't tell anyone. If you were a Tecumseh fan and bought your first engine in 1960 and now your looking for that same thing, well the name is the same and they abused that. They took an American product and did a rotten thing by making it in China.

Bad employees, mayby I was too vague. The working stiff guy that got up and screwed an air cleaner on every day was probably not a rotten employee. He may have gotten disheartened whe he saw what was going on. He/she had no vision to see the company swirling down the toilet (which hopefully is stilll mand in Kohler WI:) )
The management is a bunch of fools. The sales turd that talked to me at GIE is a jag. The Chinese labor pool has a bunch of non-qualified workers to make junk for Wal Mart now instead of junk motors.

In a way I feel bad for you because they did create a market niche for fixing the crap they poured out. There are lots of these engines in use. Briggs and Kohler are still going. I know there are foreign makers that do a good job like Kawi, Honda and it seems that they realize that making a reliable product is just good business.

lawnboy dan
10-24-2008, 08:24 AM
their death blow was loosing the contract to supply sears with engines. they would have gone under long before with out sears. worst engines i ever saw. only good one was the tv80xl 2 stroke for me. all others were junk

hillbilly_lawnboy
10-24-2008, 08:36 AM
Tell that to all of the people who had ColemanPowermate products when they went bankrupt earlier this year. If there's no money to keep the company going, where exactly do you think money (or parts) for warranty repairs are going to come from? :laugh::laugh: So, don't post in this thread again until you find and post a link to this "law" that you speak of.

First off don't tell me what i can and cannot do. last time i checked you weren't my daddy.

Secondly its called the consumer protection act

:rolleyes:

grassaholic
10-24-2008, 09:41 AM
Alot of you have been pointing out that Briggs and Kohler are still around and seem to be doing well. It makes sense to me because Briggs and Kohler are changing with the times and Tecumseh was not. Tecumseh is still producing the same "old technology" engines that they've always been making. These engines were great back in the 60's when that was all you had to choose from. My father bought an MTD snowthrower about 5 yrs. ago with an 8Hp Tecumseh. The thing runs but not very well. This motor has the valves off to the side like the antique V8's!! I'm not an engine expert, but I know enough to know that thats OLD TECHNOLOGY. If you don't keep up with the times you will be left behind. Even the cheapazz chinese engines have over head valves.

saw man
10-24-2008, 10:28 AM
They went cheap and they really didn't tell anyone. If you were a Tecumseh fan and bought your first engine in 1960 and now your looking for that same thing, well the name is the same and they abused that. They took an American product and did a rotten thing by making it in China.

Bad employees, mayby I was too vague. The working stiff guy that got up and screwed an air cleaner on every day was probably not a rotten employee. He may have gotten disheartened whe he saw what was going on. He/she had no vision to see the company swirling down the toilet (which hopefully is stilll mand in Kohler WI:) )
The management is a bunch of fools. The sales turd that talked to me at GIE is a jag. The Chinese labor pool has a bunch of non-qualified workers to make junk for Wal Mart now instead of junk motors.

In a way I feel bad for you because they did create a market niche for fixing the crap they poured out. There are lots of these engines in use. Briggs and Kohler are still going. I know there are foreign makers that do a good job like Kawi, Honda and it seems that they realize that making a reliable product is just good business.

Briggs makes their engines in China also, would you like to start your rant on them as well now?

Kohler has also been making engines in China. Check out this one http://www.kohlerengines.com/common/resources/1459001_408.pdf It look like all the othe Honda rip offs out there and it is from Kohler. Is that what you call a good reptuable company? Rip off another companys design?

grassaholic
10-24-2008, 11:08 AM
Kohlers not ripping off anyones design. It's no different than car engines. Used to be only the Japanese cars had overhead cam engines. Now every Ford or Chevy four banger has overhead cams. Kohler is just selling their version of a newer, better, design. That is exactly what Tecumseh didn't do. They just kept making their old design because they had been doing it forever and it was cheap. These days there are more chioces in the cheap engine arena. MTD just realizes that they don't have to use the "old design" Tecumseh on their homeowner equipment to keep it cheap and affordable for Joe Six Pack!!:laugh: Now they can use the cheap "new design" engines from China. These Engines may also be junk, or they may be better since they are at least a newer design.

saw man
10-24-2008, 11:19 AM
Kohlers not ripping off anyones design. It's no different than car engines. Used to be only the Japanese cars had overhead cam engines. Now every Ford or Chevy four banger has overhead cams. Kohler is just selling their version of a newer, better, design. That is exactly what Tecumseh didn't do. They just kept making their old design because they had been doing it forever and it was cheap. These days there are more chioces in the cheap engine arena. MTD just realizes that they don't have to use the "old design" Tecumseh on their homeowner equipment to keep it cheap and affordable for Joe Six Pack!!:laugh: Now they can use the cheap "new design" engines from China. These Engines may also be junk, or they may be better since they are at least a newer design.

You obviously have not looked at that link or the "MTD" engines!

One day when you want to learn something look into it, look at the breakdown of those engines and tell me the big differences.

I am not saying that it is the same because it is an OHV or single cylinder.

grassaholic
10-24-2008, 11:47 AM
What are you trying to say? Are you saying that Kohler is selling a Honda rip off that is made in China? OR Are you saying that Kohler ripped off the design of the Honda and makes it in the US? Posting a link for the owners manual of that Kohler engine tells me nothing. All I can tell from that is that Kohler makes an engine that looks like all the other engines made right now. To me its no different than saying the old side valve Tecumsehs look just like the Old Side valve Briggs. :confused:

saw man
10-24-2008, 12:26 PM
Look at the air filters, rope assy., dipstick, switches, etc. and tell me that its not similar.

Yes it does look like a single cylinder engine, but go beyond that and really look at it.

Yes that Kohler is made in China by YinXiang. I will post a couple engines they make and tell me what they look like.

http://akamai.globalsources.com.edgesuite.net/f/593/3445/5d/pdt.static.globalsources.com/IMAGES/PDT/BIG/269/B1005858269.jpg

http://www.chinapages.com/sampleroom/onesample/200220967/engine%20power.html

newz7151
10-24-2008, 12:57 PM
Secondly its called the consumer protection act

:rolleyes:

I'd like to see a picture of you out in a garden squeezing a turnip.

If dealers cannot get parts, and will not get paid for repairs, we sure as hell aren't going to fix the stuff for free on our dime.

kcrudy
10-24-2008, 01:37 PM
Just an FYI, that small Kohler (Chinese) engine pictured earlier is not made by Kohler. Kohler is buying it from a chinese company, supposedly designed to Kohler specs.

larryinalabama
10-24-2008, 02:11 PM
Im with TOPSITES Tecumsia can kiss my behind

leeslawncare
10-24-2008, 03:34 PM
I never liked those engines any way

kaferhaus
10-24-2008, 05:21 PM

You're living in la la land...

Companies go out of business everyday and the warranty goes with them. A company can only be forced to honor a warranty when they have the means to do so. If they go bankrupt it means there's no money to pay for warranty work.

The consumer protection act does not offer ANY remedy to you once a company has gone belly up.

However, it's likely that many of their parts were "outsourced" anyway and I'm sure those companies will continue to make replacement parts for some time to come. You'll not get them under "warranty" though.

WREBELMACHINE
10-24-2008, 06:47 PM
well lets see the engines I have had have made me good money with minimal downtime! But lets look at the total picture not only do we loose tecumseh engines but what about all of the transaxles and gearboxs they have built? Virtually all gear drive commercial walks use tecumseh! Virtually all the tractor mowers use tecumseh transaxles! Alll Dixie Choppers use the tecumseh gearbox to drive there hydralics! Think about it who is going to step up to the plate to fill that major void!

MOW ED
10-25-2008, 10:39 AM
Look at the air filters, rope assy., dipstick, switches, etc. and tell me that its not similar.

Yes it does look like a single cylinder engine, but go beyond that and really look at it.

Yes that Kohler is made in China by YinXiang. I will post a couple engines they make and tell me what they look like.

http://akamai.globalsources.com.edgesuite.net/f/593/3445/5d/pdt.static.globalsources.com/IMAGES/PDT/BIG/269/B1005858269.jpg

http://www.chinapages.com/sampleroom/onesample/200220967/engine%20power.html

Touchy little bugger aren't ya.

Sit down and relax big guy. Its an opinion. Mine. You have yours and I read it.
Ya know, I have 3 Kohler engines and I had a 98 25 hp that was junk. Pure crap. Blew oil within 100 hours. Found it to be a bad design. Made in China, America it didn't matter. I had it and it was junk. It was in a Walker. Made in America. They were excellent to me, not Kohler. Bob Walker personally wrote me and made things right for me. He used Kohler engines in his product. Weather it was made in China or Antartica it was backed by Walker.
Briggs is still in business and I can name at least 2 dozen old Briggs motors that are still working. The reputation for Briggs is still a decent engine.
It seems as if you want a pissin match about this. I am not there. Someone has to make engines, it sucks that China is a main source. If a company doesn't stand behind the stuff they make that is too bad for all of us. In the long run if Kohler and Briggs treat people like Tecumseh then they will go belly up too.
As far as copying designs, I am no patent attorney so I am not going there. I am a lawn care operator. I want a mower that cuts grass. I want it to last for a decent amount of time and I want to talk to someone who speaks english and represents the company when there is a problem. I am not looking for much. If they choose to build in China that is too bad but once again I don't own an engine building business.
These issues are alot deeper and involved that a couple of lawn care operators will ever know about.
Bottom line for me with this is that I am glad Tecumseh is done. Mayby someone in America will take the opportunity to fill a niche with some quality again. I'm buying.

Frontier-Lawn
10-25-2008, 11:38 AM
well lets see the engines I have had have made me good money with minimal downtime! But lets look at the total picture not only do we loose tecumseh engines but what about all of the transaxles and gearboxs they have built? Virtually all gear drive commercial walks use tecumseh! Virtually all the tractor mowers use tecumseh transaxles! Alll Dixie Choppers use the tecumseh gearbox to drive there hydralics! Think about it who is going to step up to the plate to fill that major void!

i have a feeling that Toro or Brigs may buy up the peerless brand

MONTE
10-25-2008, 09:47 PM
I know a guy who put on one of there v-twin engines on a Encore Z and swears by it! I think he will be sad to here about tecumseh going bye bye!

meets1
10-25-2008, 10:33 PM
Thing with warrenty is true. I have had a product where the compnay went under. I brought this piece back to dealer and parts were covered but not labor. Company goes, warrenty goes.

If you warrenty your work, your run out of business for whatever reason - homeowner comes back at you, what do you do? Example - we build decks, retaining walls. I have a wall fall down - go talk to the wall rep. Let them decide what should be done. Sure I may get sued but what do i have to loss - nothing cuz I already lost everything.

CHUCK'SLAWN
10-25-2008, 11:07 PM
That's a shame for all us guys with dyna diggers

Grassmechanic
10-28-2008, 11:43 AM
My bad experience was with a snow king engine. It blew a hole out the side for no good reason just out of warranty. (homeowner use) and about 8 hours on a maintained engine. Just blew the casting to hell. I was at GIE and saw a Tecumseh rep.

More than likely a rod broke in half. I had two tecumseh engines with rods that let loose and destroyed the engines. It's too bad they got cheap. That's why they are where they are.

Frontier-Lawn
10-28-2008, 04:47 PM
and i need a carb for mt 6.5 toro with a tecumseh 2.

my be i should just bolt on a 6.75 briggs?

newz7151
10-28-2008, 08:30 PM
and i need a carb for mt 6.5 toro with a tecumseh 2.

my be i should just bolt on a 6.75 briggs?

Parts will likely be available for years to come. Word is that Stens and other major aftermarket companies are trying to feverishly start production of replacement carbs for Tecumsehs now.

Richard Martin
10-29-2008, 04:15 AM
Parts will likely be available for years to come.

That's what a person would think but...

When B&S bought DR the parts for equipment B&S didn't choose to keep quickly dried up. I have a buddy with a DR chipper that is junk simply because he can't get a chipper screen for it. He went looking for a new screen within months of the B&S purchase and they were all gone.

I really wouldn't look for Stens or anybody else to spend a lot of money developing parts for engines that aren't built anymore.