PDA

View Full Version : Estimating

TCZellars
10-15-2008, 12:08 AM
How do you guys charge for mowing, do you do it by just a made up amount or do you use your calculate your hourly cost and go from there?

Florida Gardener
10-15-2008, 01:22 AM
The things that determine price for me are as follows:
1)Yard size
2)Gated back yard
3)How much weedeating/edging
4)Status of neighborhood(middle class/upper middle etc.)
5)Location of neighborhood(how far do i have to drive/am i already cutting in this neighborhood)

topsites
10-15-2008, 03:35 AM
Yes, price is based on the amount of work.

4)Status of neighborhood(middle class/upper middle etc.)

No offense to you because I did it too, but from my own experience with this
I would advise against making pricing decisions based on customer's income.
Everybody pays the same, rich or poor, then it's fair.

Florida Gardener
10-15-2008, 11:38 AM
So, what you are saying is you would charge someone who lives in a working-middle class neighborhood the same price as someone who lives in an upperclass neighborhood all things equal?

CLARK LAWN
10-15-2008, 01:25 PM
ya if both yards are goimg to ake 20 each then the cost would be the same.

mmurdock
10-15-2008, 03:47 PM
You should not charge more just becuse you know they have it. Not a good plan.

djchiodo3
10-15-2008, 04:49 PM
I have charged more to do upscale homes($500K). The people who can afford these houses expect there lawns to look beyond perfect. They all drive $50K - $100K cars. When they go out to dinner at their fancy restaurant do you think they should pay the same as McDonald's food? Do they drive Yugos? They want a professional looking rig to be parked in front of their house and they are going to pay for it. At the same time, I have priced out lawns that were the same size as these estate lawns for less because they lived in a lower class neighborhood. These people are easier to get along with and don't seem to complain as much as the ultra rich.

hillbilly_lawnboy
10-15-2008, 04:54 PM
aint that the truth. really it is up to you, i ahve always based my price on the performance aspect of the job. if i have to spend 30 minutes cleaning clippings where i normally wouldnt you better believe he is getting charged more

punt66
10-15-2008, 05:36 PM
I have charged more to do upscale homes($500K). The people who can afford these houses expect there lawns to look beyond perfect. They all drive $50K - $100K cars. When they go out to dinner at their fancy restaurant do you think they should pay the same as McDonald's food? Do they drive Yugos? They want a professional looking rig to be parked in front of their house and they are going to pay for it. At the same time, I have priced out lawns that were the same size as these estate lawns for less because they lived in a lower class neighborhood. These people are easier to get along with and don't seem to complain as much as the ultra rich.

Thats mostly right. However many "wealthy" people are some of the cheapest sob's ive run into.

hillbilly_lawnboy
10-15-2008, 05:48 PM
ah man to that

TNT LawnCare Inc.
10-15-2008, 08:13 PM
ah man to that

You meen A-MEN to that :laugh: :waving:

GoneFishin'
10-15-2008, 09:20 PM
Most of the time it seems like the lower income home owners are more willing to pay for quality work anyway. You can't just charge more because the customer "looks" like they have more money. If the customer demands more works and a longer visit time per cut then yes, a price increase is valid. Same method of pricing across the board my friends. Just know your costs.:usflag: