PDA

View Full Version : Irrigation before Hydroseed

PaloCir9
10-15-2008, 11:34 AM
I am building a house on a 1 acre lot in a new development. The builder is going to hydroseed the entire lot prior to settlement. They have allowed me to contact their landscape contractor and get an estimate to install irrigation on the entire property.

The estimate was for 60 rotors and 6 sprayers for $6,000. Do you think this is reasonable?

Also, If i do not go with this contractor, I will have to wait until after settlement and after hydroseed. Should I suck it up and have the irrigation system installed prior to hydroseed???

All opinions, are greatly appreciated!

tbettis
10-15-2008, 12:18 PM
fimco or wetboots will chime in on this one sometime today.. i would say price wise is reasonable. but its jmo

mngrassguy
10-15-2008, 11:52 PM
Price sounds ok. Best to do it before seeding.

Dreams To Designs
10-16-2008, 10:23 AM
For our area that is a decent number, if it is a quality irrigation installation. The type of equipment used and the intended coverage. If this is a reputable installer, go with what they have planned.

If you are uncomfortable or unsure, wait until after settlement. Hydroseed is not that big a deal to fix or repair after the irrigation is installed. Very likely you will be reseeding in the spring to fill in bare spots or thin areas. It is more important to have a quality, well designed irrigation system installed and a proper grass seed laid down than to rush to get it down, only to have to do it over again and correct mistakes. Depending on the seed mix of the hydroseed, you maybe very disappointed in the results in the spring.

Kirk

DUSTYCEDAR
10-16-2008, 10:28 AM
WAIT till spring and get other estimates.
r u in cape may county? or should i say the south sand bar?
i would wait save your money and dont bend over.

mngrassguy
10-16-2008, 03:25 PM
WAIT till spring and get other estimates.
r u in cape may county? or should i say the south sand bar?
i would wait save your money and dont bend over.

True. Ask the builder to put the cost of the seeding into an escrow account.

treegal1
10-21-2008, 11:54 PM
planing and prep for an quality job are priceless, the install should be done correctly the first time, good price is important but you get what you pay for, spend some more for the "best system" now and save your self down the road. save the cash for seeding until its all done and prepped correctly, soil test and amendments and all, if the soil is poor then fix it first, trust me the extra effort is well worth the great results and savings later on.

limas landscape
10-26-2008, 05:00 AM
for 60 rotors and 6 sprays here in mass i charge about 4900 installed with 3 year warrenty on everything.... maybe its more expensive in jersey but damn a grand more... i charge 75 a head sometimes i would even go lower on the price depending on the land.