PDA

View Full Version : 2 acres mower suggestions (personal use only)

fedspunisher
10-15-2008, 12:56 PM
I just bought 2 acres of land need a mower. I dont really want to spend a ton of money. 1000-2000 if possible. What should I be looking for? My only concern is that I wont spend all day mowing. My neighbor has a deere lawn tractor and about the same amount of land and it seems like hes out there from the time he gets off work until about sundown. That is what im trying to avoid.

Thanks

stevenf
10-15-2008, 01:01 PM
My father has a 42" Deere tractor. He cuts 2 acres with it and it take him about an hour. It leaves a BEAUTIFUL cut with the mulching plate on.

zeroturner
10-15-2008, 02:13 PM
If your father cuts 2 acres with a 42" John Deere tractor and you are happy with the quality of cut and the time it takes, then I would say go with the same setup. That mower should be in your price range. You are basically limiting yourself to a tractor type mower with a $1000.00 - $2000.00 price range.

zeroturner
10-15-2008, 02:18 PM
Sorry fedspunisher.........for some reason I thought post 1 and 2 were both from you. Trying to do to many things I guess. Years ago I used to cut 2 acres with a Craftsman 50" and it took me close to 2 hours, but I had a lot of trees and beds to go around. As always, a zero turn will be more productive if you can justify purchasing one.

fedspunisher
10-15-2008, 02:26 PM
We havent seeded it yet but its pretty much all clay so im guessing its not gonna be the smoothest ground. What would a large wheel tractor be better than a ZTR for absorbing the bumps??

delphied
10-15-2008, 02:51 PM
I think a couple of goats would be perfect.

IHusky
10-15-2008, 03:13 PM
My co-worker has a little over two acres of land and he bought a 42" Husqvarna lawn tractor and he regrets it because it takes him too long to mow. I used to mow my fathers house, about 3 and half acres with a 42" lawn tractor and it took me forever. Zero turn will be faster but a little more on the wallet. What about a used 52" walkbehind with velke? Good luck.

fedspunisher
10-15-2008, 04:13 PM
okay so 2 acres = 87120 ft^2. If you figure no wasted time and no overlap on mowing with a 60" deck = 17424 ft. Take that divided by 1 mile = 3.3 miles so i would have to run atleast 4 mph with a 60" deck to mow 2 acres in 1 hour. About 5mph with a 48" deck. Im not sure what ground speed is but 5mph on a lawn tractor is going pretty good right?

ZTR_Diesel
10-15-2008, 04:34 PM
Look for a used ZTR, preferably a commercial-grade unit in great shape. Used hydro Dixons are avalble in that price range, in most areas.

Green Team Landscaping
10-15-2008, 04:40 PM
Ferris mowers have suspension, so for the clay that would probably be best. My dad got his backyard extended and they used clay, and nothing is worse than bouncing on that ZTR. I would reccomend asking punt66 about his, but I think we want you to keep coming back here for any of your questions. He may deter you from coming back.

fedspunisher
10-15-2008, 04:43 PM
Why would he deter me?

Also how many hours would you say is to many?

fedspunisher
10-15-2008, 05:12 PM
Example of stuff around here

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/grd/880021837.html

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/grd/878616729.html

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/grd/877907700.html

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/grd/877889493.html

Everything seems rather high....

Green Team Landscaping
10-15-2008, 07:03 PM
If you look around, he's started quite a few fights. He doesn't have a filter in his mouth to hold in the bad comments. He's made more enemies than friends. You may want to check eBay as well. One more thing, now's the time to buy with companies going out of business, and end of the year sales so the mowers(w/o baggers) are going to be EXTREMELY cheap.

Green Team Landscaping
10-15-2008, 07:11 PM
The lawn tractors wont help you much there, especially for that price. It's semming that people think that even though they've put a lot of wear on their mowers, and worked them into the ground(or so it appears), they still think it's worth the price they originally paid for it. You should at least consider walkbehinds that come with 2 wheeled sulkys. They're cheaper, but still get the job done. The reason you should get one with a sulky is because if you bought one, it's going to run you $300, and as a homeowner, I highly doubt you want to spend that just to mow your lawn.

fedspunisher
10-16-2008, 09:12 AM
How are either of these?

http://omaha.craigslist.org/grd/881037666.html

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/grd/880021837.html

hillbilly_lawnboy
10-16-2008, 11:39 AM
heck just get ya an old farmall cub with a belly mower problem solved lol

topsites
10-16-2008, 11:45 AM
You'll need to treat the clay long before you start seeding
or all your lawn growing efforts will go to waste.

fedspunisher
10-16-2008, 12:04 PM
Its been hay ground so it gets treated frequently and all the neighbors yards are looking good after just 1 year.

But thanks for the heads up I'll ask the neighbors and see if they had any issues and if they had any what they did.

Green Team Landscaping
10-16-2008, 05:53 PM
Either of those Z turns seem like they'd do. I mean you probably dont want something thats cmmercial duty unless it's for a good price. I've never heard of Swisher before though. Is it a Home Depot brand?

fedspunisher
10-17-2008, 08:37 AM
All i know is the swisher is about 250lbs heavier than the cub....

Green Team Landscaping
10-17-2008, 03:46 PM
Go with the Cub. Would you be interested in plowing for yourself? We put a plow on our OLD Cub Cadet/ International, and it's great. I dont know about the temperature in Iowa, but I'll post pics to see if it's something you would use becuse if you're going to plow then go with a lawn tractor, but otherwise stick with the Cub. And I'm assuming the walkbehind idea isn't your thing? It's ok if it isn't, but 100% honestly, you should at least try one out(with a sulky).

fedspunisher
10-17-2008, 04:27 PM
I know that i may not be the only one mowing. My wife mowes maybe 1/2 the time as she doesnt work everday and enjoys mowing actually. I was 1st leaning toward the tractor as she could drive that easiest. But a zero turn will be nice as we plan on lots of trees. Dont really want to get something where my wife will have to stand up or walk behind it. As for the plow thing i have a truck already with a plow. The whole story is we are currently living in town we bought land and I have a shop out there. It is still hay ground. A guy mowes and bales it for just being able to keep the profit. We are planning on building and plus need something to mow down what little grass we do have around the shop until that time. So im not in a hurry but figured this would be the time of year to buy them.

I really do appreciate all the help. When it comes to repairs i grew up turning wrenches on mowers since i could walk. I havent done much since i got older. I know deeres would be easiest to get parts for around here as thats about all we have a dealership for unless i get a sears mower. Now i look at a Zero turn and it has so much more stuff to them than ive ever delt with. More to go wrong more to fix. A standard tractor with belt drive instead of hydro has to be the easiest and cheapest of all to fix so thats a concern as well. But my time is also worth something and dont want to spend 3 hours a week mowing my yard when i could spend 1 hour...

fedspunisher
10-17-2008, 04:33 PM
Here is the newest option

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/grd/882963106.html

is it worth the extra $500 to get a bigger commercial?

Green Team Landscaping
10-17-2008, 04:43 PM
ABSOLUTELY! I have a Toro myself(2nd owner of it), and they're great. And good point with your wife. I wouldn't think that she'd want a walkbehind. I'm not 100% sure about this, but I bet you could talk that guy down on price of the mower even. He never said FIRM, so there has to be even a little bit of slack with that price. The Toro is going to be by far the best quality of them all. Go with the Toro.

fedspunisher
10-17-2008, 04:54 PM
Thanks I'll have to talk with my wife and see if we can make it work.

Im probably only going to be adding what 50 hours a year on this machine. I should get tired of it before it wears out right?

fedspunisher
10-17-2008, 05:09 PM
Another quick concern. Its gonna be 10 years old. I break something im guessing commercials are easier to find parts for than residential mowers but are they still available for something this old?

Green Team Landscaping
10-17-2008, 05:47 PM
I dont think that the designs have changed very much. I mean they're great machines and will run forver, so I think they would. I'm not the one to ask, but I cant imagine they've changed that much, or so much that they dont make those parts anymore. And you'll definately get tired of it before it starts wearing out. This thing is going to last much longer than the residential ones. Guaranteed.

10-17-2008, 08:08 PM
I would spend 2-3k on a new tractor and call it a day. there is a reason most homeowners use lawn tractors-- because they work good all around for a home owner. They will last 10 yrs or more on a 2 acre property. You can do 2 acres in 2 hours with a 54" tractor, even with alot of trees. My parents place is 2 acres(including house and barn), probally over 50 full grown trees, some rock flower beds, a garden, lots of stuff to work around. Takes about 2 hours exactly with a Craftsman 54" 27hp lawn tractor. This is just mowing not trimming. Really a nice way to enjoy the evening mowing.

freshprince94
10-17-2008, 09:52 PM
For 1-2k, you're looking at a used walkbehind with a sulky. If you spend some more, you can get a ZTR.

I would recommend eXmark, Toro, Gravely, and Hustler. Out of those 4, the eXmark leaves the best cut, the Toro is almost the same mower with a slightly worse cut, the Gravely is a good mower but not in the eXmark's league, and the Hustler goes fastest but cuts worst.

IMO eXmark is the best. I don't own one but loved the one I used at my old job. You could get away with a 52" deck.

LuvMyFerris
10-29-2008, 11:42 PM
I have a similar lawn size, I looked at those crappy big box mowers and ztrs and waited until I found what I wanted and looked for quality. After watching a lawn service cut my lawn w/an $8k Exmark ZTR, I knew it had to be ztr so I went with the unit in my signature and love it 100%. it cost more than you mentioned so be forewarned. IMHO: you get what you pay for...
YMMV

STIHL GUY
10-30-2008, 08:06 PM
a used WB and a velky/sulky or a used commercial ZTR would work fine

jkilov
10-30-2008, 09:16 PM
I just bought 2 acres of land need a mower. I dont really want to spend a ton of money. 1000-2000 if possible.

That's a tight budget, but I understand your situation. You never mentioned how you want it cut. Mulch, bag or discharge?

A 36" walkbehind can and will knock down an acre per hour. Giving you an acceptable time of 2 hours. A quick 36 15hp kaw retails about $2.600, while a 44" model adds another 200-$300. There are other brands too, but mostly more expensive.

With used ZTRs it's always an adventure. It might be fine, or it might blow a pump /wheel motor costing $1000 in repairs.

nathannc
11-01-2008, 01:04 AM
That's a tight budget, but I understand your situation. You never mentioned how you want it cut. Mulch, bag or discharge?

A 36" walkbehind can and will knock down an acre per hour. Giving you an acceptable time of 2 hours. A quick 36 15hp kaw retails about $2.600, while a 44" model adds another 200-$300. There are other brands too, but mostly more expensive.

With used ZTRs it's always an adventure. It might be fine, or it might blow a pump /wheel motor costing $1000 in repairs.

Makes sense however, with a 36" walk behind remember you are walking at least 5 1/2 miles to do 2 acres. This can be a pretty fair jaunt if you have some age on you, typically have a sedintary job, don't have a lot of time, the terrain is rough or hilly or, have other physically demanding labor that you do on a regular basis.

math

43560 x 2 (sq feet in two acres) / 3 (width of mower) = 29,040 linear feet / 5280 (feet in a mile) = 5.5 miles.