PDA

View Full Version : Man goes to jail for having brown lawn

T.E.
10-15-2008, 02:13 PM
Has anyone seen this article? Unbelievable in my opinion!:dizzy:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/10152008/news/regionalnews/guy_gets_a_big_grass_kickin_133724.htm

hillbilly_lawnboy
10-15-2008, 03:50 PM
i believe i would have done the same thing. if someone tells me how to run my land i would trell em to kiss my a$$. especially since he was tight on cash

JB1
10-15-2008, 03:58 PM
just when you think you have heard it all, something else comes along.

Phil G
10-15-2008, 04:15 PM
Why am I not surprised?

Same thing happening over here. Street crime, drugs, thugs and all the other scum-bags just laugh at the law. So the law hits the easy targets, keeps the arrest rate numbers up.

The shame is it was allowed to get this far. Maybe he should have called for help earlier or his neighbours should have stepped in earlier.

I figure the housing association ain't done themselves no favour with this publicity.

=

DLAWNS
10-15-2008, 04:28 PM
That's freakin ridiculous.

ZTR_Diesel
10-15-2008, 04:32 PM
Thing is - he kept ignoring the warnings and, it seems he refused to ask for help. Sometimes's it's better to choke up our pride, get together with your neighbors, and let them know where you're really at. Not everyone who retires has everything planned out, but this was a bit much overall.

lawnman_scott
10-15-2008, 05:44 PM
Thing is - he kept ignoring the warnings and, it seems he refused to ask for help. Sometimes's it's better to choke up our pride, get together with your neighbors, and let them know where you're really at. Not everyone who retires has everything planned out, but this was a bit much overall.He went to the meetings, and went to court in the beginning. Ever had any contact with a condo association or a homeowners association? The people on those boards are just nosy and want to be in everyones business. What a waste of court time. I had a customer that was on a homeowners board once. What a mistake. One year, just about this time he told be everything has to be perfect next week, and he asked me to plant flowers, mulch, ................ He said he was going to be having the whole neighborhood through and wanted it to look good. I thought it was some parade of homes thing. NO, it was trick or treat for Halloween. You know, the one NIGHT parents come out with their kids to get candy. This is the mentallity of these types of people.

topsites
10-15-2008, 06:03 PM
All else aside, here's what I gather:
"The Beacon Woods Civic Association, which oversees the 2,600-home complex, targeted Prudente last year because he had violated a rule that states no more than 10 percent of lawns should have bare patches."

So it's a HOA thing, no?

This has little to do with the law, which makes me wonder how in the world
they can send the man to jail over it in the first place...

Either way that's a load of Bull if you ask me.

Restrorob
10-15-2008, 06:31 PM
Guy's,

Even though I think it's a crock that Prudente was taken to jail, He did break a court order and the judge had no choice but to charge him with that.

He explained his problem to the HOA and they offered no help but to put more burden on him by taking him to court, THEN after the humiliation some came together to give him a hand.

Sounds screwed up to me.....Don't you just love HOA's ....... :dizzy:

Sweet Tater
10-15-2008, 09:24 PM
Thats florida. Thats why I left there and shook the sand out of my shoes when I left.
Florida is screwed up with all capitol letters. Let the Cubans have everything south of Georgia.

J&R Landscaping
10-15-2008, 11:02 PM
That's freakin ridiculous.

You can say that again. Being strapped for cash and all, damn. Whats the world comming to.

jrush
10-15-2008, 11:06 PM
Thats F'd up! I could see if he was well to do, but hell, I'm ridiculous with my lawn but if it came down to a roof over my families head or green grass I gotta tell ya, they'll still foreclose on a house with a manicured lawn!! Here in CT we can't keep the violent, repeat offenders in jail, let alone for a brown lawn!!:confused:

DuallyVette
10-15-2008, 11:09 PM
Once again...the taxpayer pays. court time...jail for 30 days...$5000+ ...great plan.

ZTR_Diesel
10-15-2008, 11:52 PM
Yes, my original intent was to state that "it's crazy he went to jail and that disgusts me!" and that's the truth. Kudos to him for turning himself in, even though it was rediculious and embarrasing. I suppose this is why I turned down buying a condo in the first place- $155/month for the tiny patch of yard that was "mine" to be mowed, and a sidewalk shoveled and about 3 hours of exterior mantaince a year. Seemed a lot like paying rent while having others tell you how they want your place to look. Sorry, not for me...

Frontier-Lawn
10-16-2008, 10:57 PM
Sympathetic neighbors who learned of Prudente's plight got together to secure his release.

i think alot of people living in there may not pay the hoa fee's now since they stooped this low on a homeowner.

Frontier-Lawn
10-16-2008, 11:04 PM
Also i forget where i saw it thou (was in FL)kicked the homeowner out of his house and took the house and sold it at a auction for $60,000 or so. And he was still liable for the rest of the $300,000 mortgage he owed. just for not watering during a water ban/restriction and letting the grass die.

Tinkerer
10-17-2008, 02:37 AM
I bet the home owners association and the judge are getting hate mail now.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
10-17-2008, 08:27 AM
Interesting....
The HOA rules for lawn care are pretty strict, BUT....
This guy knew the rules when he moved there. He says he has no money or checking account....HUH?!?!? Why are you living in a decent house like that with no money??
Kind of sounds like part of the mortgage crisis if you ask me....
This fellow needs to work on his finances and find a way to do some work, make some cash, and take care of his responsibilities.
I don't usually side with woe-is-me stories. People will do exactly what they need to do to get by if they have to.

mowerknower
10-17-2008, 10:50 PM
I wish I could get my neighbors arrested for having crappy looking lawns. Heck I just wish I could have them arrested so they quit annoying the heck out of me.

lawnprosteveo
10-17-2008, 11:06 PM
Its official....the WHOLE WORLD is off is ROCKER!!!

CAT powered
10-17-2008, 11:14 PM
He didn't technically go to jail for having a brown lawn. He went to jail for being in contempt of court. If he'd gone to court the first time he probably could have explained his situation and the judge would have understood. It was just the fact that he didn't show up in court when he was told he had to.