PDA

View Full Version : Rutting - Big Tires vs. Small

jbell36
10-15-2008, 03:35 PM
which one ruts more?

our grasshopper ruts like a *****, given it has tractor tires on it...the JD 757 (which we don't have) has very wide tires on it, is rutting a problem at all with those? having wider tires will give you better traction though right? also, would rutting be more of a problem with something like the JD quik-track with skinnier tires?

i know this is kind of a stupid question but i've heard both sides, just wanna get some opinions from experience...

delphied
10-15-2008, 03:49 PM
Ever see a path where people walk alot? What about a deer run in the woods. You cant get away from rutting. It will happen with all tires.

MileHigh
10-15-2008, 05:24 PM
skinnier tires rut more than wider tires.

Nosmo
10-15-2008, 05:25 PM
More weight use wider tires and there will be less rutting. Same principle as a woman wearing loafers then putting on high heels.

More damage to a waxed floor etc. when she is wearing the high heels. More weight in a smaller area.

Nosmo

Green Team Landscaping
10-15-2008, 05:44 PM
The weight distribution would be better with the bigger ones, as long as they're turf tires. Don't Grasshoppers have offroading wheels? That may be the problem no matter the size.

jbell36
10-15-2008, 05:56 PM
ya we have the tractor tire for our grasshopper...i don't know why they sell the machines with those tires, it should be only at a request...i do know that those tires are a problem which is really why i started this thread, we are getting a new mower and i wanted to know for sure about tire width...

greenred
10-15-2008, 06:07 PM
The only time I ran into a issue of actual rutting with my Toro ZTR was when the morons that installed one of my customers sprinkler system wrong and in one place a pipe had come lose and had been saturating the ground for a good week. The area looked damp but it had just rained the day before. I drove my ZTR through the area and was lucky to get out. The soil under the turf had turned into a soup. I left one long rut. Some soil and some of that Scotts brand patching product and a month later you couldnt tell it had ever happened.

Other then that the biggest problem I had was when it got dry and in areas I could not change the pattern wheel marks would eventually show up in the grass. But after a rain or two they would go away.

ricky86
10-15-2008, 07:04 PM
More weight use wider tires and there will be less rutting. Same principle as a woman wearing loafers then putting on high heels.

More damage to a waxed floor etc. when she is wearing the high heels. More weight in a smaller area.

Nosmo

And that depends on the size of the woman.

MyKisa
10-15-2008, 07:06 PM
change foot print, even if it takes a pushmower for those hard areas..anything to offset rut, just a time or two every now and then

Green Team Landscaping
10-15-2008, 07:59 PM
I wouldn't go with another Grasshopper if I were you, and for that reason. I'm sure you know this, but you're going to want to stay away from those 1 wheeled sulkys too. It'll be worse. All of your weight being "exerted" on that one wheel.

johnnybravo8802
10-15-2008, 09:53 PM
Big tires have more surface area and distribute the weight out more evenly. It ends up being less ground pressure.

mowerbrad
10-15-2008, 10:15 PM
I am going to be putting wider tires rear on my bob-cat in the spring. They are only 8.5" wide for a 52" deck. I will be widening them to 9.5" or 10". Though widening the tires will take away any trim edge that I did have but will help the major ruting issue I am getting with the narrow tires.

johnnybravo8802
10-15-2008, 10:26 PM
I am going to be putting wider tires rear on my bob-cat in the spring. They are only 8.5" wide for a 52" deck. I will be widening them to 9.5" or 10". Though widening the tires will take away any trim edge that I did have but will help the major ruting issue I am getting with the narrow tires.
Sometimes I'll mix it up with a WB, change directions if possible, or stagger the tire marks to prevent rutting-if possible.

Elite Outdoor
10-15-2008, 11:14 PM
Wider is better if you want to limit rutting. But you also have to consider the weight of the mower. For instance my gravely walk behind has 8.5" tires and weighs about 500lbs. My TANK mower has 12" tires but weighs around 1100bls. And they both rut about the same.

David Haggerty
10-16-2008, 07:42 AM
jbell36; You must have a 900 series frontrunner Grasshopper if you have the bar tread tires. They're a low pressure tire. They're going to rut less than most anything out there.
Now if you're tearing up the turf with the bar tread, that's another matter. You could get that size tire without the bar tread but you won't get anywhere on them. You'd have no traction.

Check the tire pressure on that 'hopper. If you have too much pressure the bar tread will be more agressive on the turf, and you'll have less traction. Lower it to Grasshopper's lowest recommended pressure and try it.

The bigger the tire the less traction. Generally speaking. Until you get to the low pressure tires. They flatten out on the bottom giving a huge footprint. They give good traction without cutting in. Most ZTR's don't run low pressure tires. Grasshopper and Dixie Chopper are the two I can think of.

PHS
10-16-2008, 09:16 AM
The bigger the tire the less traction. Generally speaking. Until you get to the low pressure tires. They flatten out on the bottom giving a huge footprint.

Not so sure about that. A wider tire gives a bigger footprint regardless (assuming a similar tread design). For a given tire, lowering the pressure will give a wider footprint than the same tire at high pressure. How much relative traction a tire can give depends on a lot of variables.