PDA

View Full Version : Gator Blades - Leaves

frankthetank
10-15-2008, 03:54 PM
I have been considering an Accelerator aluminum catcher but just came across the Gator Blades. On their website it reads that you can put a mulch plate on and the leaves are mulched to a fine dust. How fine will the mulched leaves become? I don't want any leaves but if the gator blades grind it up that fine, I would like to save the cash on the catcher.

Summertime Lawn
10-15-2008, 03:59 PM
They work great. You can make a large pile of leaves disappear.

The Captain
10-16-2008, 01:07 AM
The Gators do work great in most situations. I run them on all my mowers but still find the need for a catcher to pickup the "crumbs". You can only mulch and leave so many leaves. Around here with our oaks, we would have an inch or two of crumbs left behind. Not good for the turf with snow lying on top later. I bit the bullet and got the Accelerator units. Well worth the price considering you'll only buy one for the life of your mower. They last forever.

greenred
10-16-2008, 01:26 AM
I always used gators for leaf clean ups. Our game plan was to mulch the leaves up as much as possible then either use a grass gobbler to pick up the debris or blow them to the curve and vacuum them up with our truck loader. Im in the midwest so I had some yards with deep piles of leaves. There was no way we could have got one yard of leaves in the box on the back of our pickup let alone several we could do in a day. But by mulching them first with the gators we could get 1 to 3 houses worth of leaves into the box built up on the bed of the pick up.

God I dont miss leaf clean ups. I especially dont miss hacking up and blowing dark black snot out of my nose from all the leaf dust for a month or two.

The Captain
10-16-2008, 01:53 AM
God I dont miss leaf clean ups. I especially dont miss hacking up and blowing dark black snot out of my nose from all the leaf dust for a month or two.

But the money is good!

brucec32
10-17-2008, 12:28 PM
It reduces them more than regular blades but I wouldn't say down to dust, like a real mulching kit and blades will. Ideally you'd make one pass with a mulching mower, then clean up in a 2nd pass with a mower equipped to bag. I 100% mulch leaves. Sometimes a 2nd pass is required, and mulching ability varies immensely from mower to mower (go Exmark!) but this works only if you've kept up with them. At some point there's too many to mulch w/o so many passes the grass suffers. So I wouldn't show up for a "leaf cleanup job" with just a mulching mower, though I would handle a regular client with one.