PDA

View Full Version : it's been sitting for 2-3 years...

I.M. Green
10-15-2008, 08:27 PM
so tomorrow I am picking up a Exmark Metro 36". It was only used residentialy and I know the guy so I trust him. He says it has been sitting for 2 - 3 years and the gas is drained out of it. It will turn over and seems to have compression. I am thinking before I even try and make it run to change the oil, gas filter, spark plug, clean the carb, and replace the air filter. After I make sure it runs, as long as it runs as expected, I would then clean out the tank, change gas lines (if they are a little fishy looking), possibly the belt, cleaning all greasable fittings and putting fresh new grease everywhere it is needed. Anything else you can think of I might need to do?

DLAWNS
10-15-2008, 08:35 PM
I think you've covered it. That's a great mower. I have the 32" and I love the cut.

Scagguy
10-15-2008, 08:40 PM
I think it would be a good idea to fog the engine before doing anything. You want to make sure the rings are free before starting it. You can pick up a can of fogger at any motorcysle shop.

I.M. Green
10-15-2008, 08:50 PM
I'm not sure what a fogger is or how to use it?

stevenf
10-15-2008, 08:54 PM
I think he is saying to make sure the piston is free before trying to crank it.

I.M. Green
10-15-2008, 08:58 PM
yes it does turn over, so as far as I can tell the engine is not junk and the oil is not even too bad...

traman
10-15-2008, 09:01 PM
pull the engine shroud cover off,to make sure there is no grass or dirt build up on the cooling fins. also pull the drive tires off,once removed you will see a place to grease the wheel hubs.

Scagguy
10-16-2008, 12:06 AM
I'm not sure what a fogger is or how to use it?

A fogger is a pressurized can of oil. You remove the spark plug first, then insert the nozzle from the fogger can in the cylinder and spray for a few seconds. Let it sit for an hour or so, then pull the rope slowly so the pistion runs up and down a few times and then repeat the process again. After the second application of the fog, with the spark plug removed, pull the rope like you were going to start it to clear the oil from the cylinder. Instal new plug, gas etc. and you should be good to go.

Runner
10-16-2008, 12:16 AM
Definitely make sure yu let it st for awhile before cranking it over after this, otherwise you will end up wit hydro-lock. The same thing can be done by just pouring some oil down the cylinder and slowly pulling it over (with the spark plug out, of course). Keep the path of the plug port clear, as oil will squirt out of the hole. Let it sit awhile and then crank it over.

I.M. Green
10-16-2008, 10:19 PM
just an update. I picked it up checked the oil again, pulled the string and it turned over, put a new spark plug in it, poured a little gas in the tank and in the carb, pulled it about 10 - 12 times and she fired up. So yes I'm going to rebuild the carb, clean the tank, etc, etc...it only has about 50 hours on it...