PDA

View Full Version : Kohler Oil

timber132007
10-16-2008, 12:02 AM
Does anyone know where I can purchase Kohler 10w30 oil online? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

djchiodo3
10-16-2008, 12:21 AM
Find it on ebay. Why only kohler oil?

timber132007
10-16-2008, 12:54 AM
I've got a mower still under warranty with a Kohler engine. That's what I run in it to avoid any issues if I have a problem with the engine.

timber132007
10-16-2008, 12:56 AM
Does anyone else know of a mower parts supplier I can get it from. Someone mentioned a while back they buy it in case quantities online but I can't remember where they said. I paid over four dollars a quart from a local dealer today so I'm trying to find a better deal on it.

Albemarle Lawn
10-16-2008, 01:05 AM
http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_10551_10001_36754_-1______?rFlag=true&cFlag=1
Orangeburg, Rincon, Conway, Florence

(but not a better deal....$4.99) although how much could you need for a mower?

I just changed the oil on our Volvo truck, 40 quarts synthetic at $6 plus 3 filters at $30/each.
Next month its the auto trans, 10 gallons synthetic = $400 plus $95 in filters.

LandscaperPro
10-16-2008, 10:27 AM
I've got a mower still under warranty with a Kohler engine. That's what I run in it to avoid any issues if I have a problem with the engine.

If it calls for 10w30, you can run any 10w30 without voiding the warranty.

According to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty Act) a manufacturer may not require you (as conditions of the warranty) to use a branded product, unless it is provided free of charge.

So basically you can use an after market air filter, oil filter, or oil and as long as they are made to the OEM specs for the item (which LandscaperPro.com's are).

Ultimately it is up to you, but you could save yourself some money. The oil in that bottle is the same as most other 10w30's, your just paying for the label on the bottle.

lawns Etc
10-16-2008, 08:13 PM
Expressmowerparts.com a sponsor here has it by the case with free shipping

timber132007
10-16-2008, 08:46 PM
Thanks for the replies.

nosparkplugs
10-16-2008, 09:58 PM
You can run Super-Tec 10w-30 and it will not void your Kohler engine warranty, Unless the OEM provides the oil free of charge they CANNOT void or force a brand or viscosity of oil on you.

Magnuson-Moss Act

treemonkey
10-16-2008, 10:28 PM
Of course, IF Kohler can prove that a defective aftermarket filter or whatever CAUSED the engine failure, then Kohler CAN deny warrenty.

Why would Kohler warranty an engine repair if the NAPA/Wix filter had defective media, etc.. However, Wix has their own warranty, so that should not be a problem either. But, it could potentially be more hassle and some people sleep better knowing they have reduced the "hassle factor".

Also, the Kohler oil is HDEO diesel rated, so it has a stronger additive pack than the Supertech SM oil. And, some here swear by it. It's not a bad choice, but it's more dollars and not necessary.

Myself, I use NAPA/WIX filters and Shell Rotella/Chevron even during warranty. It's odd how most of us don't give a second thought about NOT using Chevy/Ford/Dodge stuff in our mortgaged vehicles, but WE seem to care about it on these less expensive tools. I ponder about it on occasion.

nosparkplugs
10-16-2008, 11:03 PM
Of course, IF Kohler can prove that a defective aftermarket filter or whatever CAUSED the engine failure, then Kohler CAN deny warrenty.

Why would Kohler warranty an engine repair if the NAPA/Wix filter had defective media, etc.. However, Wix has their own warranty, so that should not be a problem either. But, it could potentially be more hassle and some people sleep better knowing they have reduced the "hassle factor".

Also, the Kohler oil is HDEO diesel rated, so it has a stronger additive pack than the Supertech SM oil. And, some here swear by it. It's not a bad choice, but it's more dollars and not necessary.

Myself, I use NAPA/WIX filters and Shell Rotella/Chevron even during warranty. It's odd how most of us don't give a second thought about NOT using Chevy/Ford/Dodge stuff in our mortgaged vehicles, but WE seem to care about it on these less expensive tools. I ponder about it on occasion.

All Kohler oils are a "proprietary" blend, and therefore a mystery. (HDEO):laugh: Heavy Duty Engine Oil, that is just not the case with any Kohler oil.

newz7151
10-17-2008, 01:12 AM
It's odd how most of us don't give a second thought about NOT using Chevy/Ford/Dodge stuff.

I run the Kohler air cooled engine oil in my truck, and after 4,000 miles, it's still just about as clear on the dipstick as when I put it in. As opposed to the Penzoil or Quaker State which would have been a nice dark black on the stick.

Richard Martin
10-17-2008, 04:50 AM
I run the Kohler air cooled engine oil in my truck, and after 4,000 miles, it's still just about as clear on the dipstick as when I put it in. As opposed to the Penzoil or Quaker State which would have been a nice dark black on the stick.

So that would mean that the Pennzoil and QS are doing their job. The contaminates that darken the oil are supposed to be there and not laying in the bottom of the oil pan or stuck to the interior surfaces of the engine. Dark or even black oil doesn't mean that there is something wrong with the oil.

nosparkplugs
10-17-2008, 10:12 PM
The color of oil has absolutley zero effect on a oil being "clean or dirty". A high qaulity oil with have the correct additive package, that suspends engine contaniments: dirt, soot particles, then carries them to the oil filter for trapping . Without a UOA it's impossible to judge the quality of an oil. I have over 75,000 miles on my Cummins diesel the oil would look filthy to the average Joe:laugh: If your that average joe who is content with the spoon feed BS from these oil companies, and engine manufactures regarding the severe consequence's of switching to a non OEM "proprietary" engine oil. Or If you should choose to use your brain, and research the conventional vs synthetic oils on the market today one would find the conventional OEM oils meet the minal SAE requirments, in an air cooled v-twin engine thats "livin on the edge":cool2: