PDA

View Full Version : Torsion spring gate assist?

MikeKle
10-16-2008, 12:27 AM
I currrently am using the VERY dangerous "eric elm" type gate assist that utilizes a garage door spring that pivots. I have been looking into using a torsion spring set-up but cant find the right size anywhere. I plan to use 2 springs,one on each gate side, the hinge on my trailer gate is 3/4",but the torsion springs I have found are much smaller, plus there seems to be alot of application critical type data that is needed to correctly size the springs, I have been looking at Grainger and MSC supply.Anyone using the torsion springs? could you please post some pics of your set-up and tell me where to get them?It seems like once you get the right spring it would work much better than the top rail mounted type. I planned on putting the torsion spring on the gate hinge pin with one "leg" pushing against the trailer frame and the other leg will be inserted into a steel tube that is welded onto the gate. My gate is 4ftX76" long and made of 1/8" angle steel, so you wouldnt think it would be that heavy,but to lift it 12+ times a day is a real BEAR! If money was no concern, I would mount a 12V actuater to lift and lower the gate,but at over $400 a piece,thats a little much for a trailer gate! Thanks guys.

gravedigger5
10-16-2008, 12:30 AM
I don't have them but have seen them on some new trailers from Trailer Express out of Sikeston MO. You might try contacting them.

Runner
10-16-2008, 01:26 AM
Even if you do a lift system with a garage door spring like you have, but do a pulley system with the spring enclosed in a post is a good set up. It is so simple, yet so effective. I don't blame you on the open spring design,...that's just crazy.

The Captain
10-16-2008, 02:17 AM
Call "Mo" at Gorilla-Lift 1-800677-6641 or go to Gorilla-Lift .com and see if these will work for you. They run about $200.00 a set. Have them on my trailers and am happy with them. He will (should) be at Expo next week, probably near the Jungle Jim booth. If you can wait till then you may save some cash. Tell him Jim, the guy with the orange shirts sent you. Shouldn't charge you more than double for knowing me.....

Jim

The Captain
10-16-2008, 04:26 AM
Sorry guys. I gave you some old out of date info. The Toll free # is 877-388-8895 and their website is www.Gorilla-Lift.com

I tried to email Mo and had it returned.

Runner
10-16-2008, 11:00 PM
Or save yourself about 160 bucks and do it yourself.:)

Frontier-Lawn
10-16-2008, 11:43 PM
I currrently am using the VERY dangerous "eric elm" type gate assist that utilizes a garage door spring that pivots. I have been looking into using a torsion spring set-up but cant find the right size anywhere. I plan to use 2 springs,one on each gate side, the hinge on my trailer gate is 3/4",but the torsion springs I have found are much smaller, plus there seems to be alot of application critical type data that is needed to correctly size the springs, I have been looking at Grainger and MSC supply.Anyone using the torsion springs? could you please post some pics of your set-up and tell me where to get them?It seems like once you get the right spring it would work much better than the top rail mounted type. I planned on putting the torsion spring on the gate hinge pin with one "leg" pushing against the trailer frame and the other leg will be inserted into a steel tube that is welded onto the gate. My gate is 4ftX76" long and made of 1/8" angle steel, so you wouldnt think it would be that heavy,but to lift it 12+ times a day is a real BEAR! If money was no concern, I would mount a 12V actuater to lift and lower the gate,but at over $400 a piece,thats a little much for a trailer gate! Thanks guys.

ill post pics of my home made spring assit in the morning. mine works real good.

Green Boots
03-30-2009, 06:36 PM
Is it morning yet?

Frontier-Lawn
03-30-2009, 07:14 PM
sorry i took them and then forgot about this post :laugh:

Frontier-Lawn
03-30-2009, 07:16 PM
here are a few more

Frontier-Lawn
03-30-2009, 07:26 PM
The PVC pipe is 2” id, 5’ long, & 2 electric pvc pipe wall clamps from lowes misc eye hooks and ring clips and about 5' of stranded wire to be cut to the right size at the end of installation. Also get the largest lb spring you can get if you want you have one on 1 side only, but if and what I get a new larger trailer I will be using 2, 1 on each side probably with a 80lb spring on each side.

Green Boots
03-30-2009, 07:50 PM
Thanks for the reply! Any chance I can get you to post a pic for reference?

Drew Gemma
03-30-2009, 07:52 PM
I got a ballard if anyone wants to make an offer it's stainless used for one year. You need to supply the bolts as they were not worth reusing.

Frontier-Lawn
03-30-2009, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the reply! Any chance I can get you to post a pic for reference?

what do you need a pic of?

ALC-GregH
03-30-2009, 07:59 PM
I'm sorry but your home made deal looks like crap. There's jagged edges, chain links hanging and all around looks sloppy. Take it for what it's worth if you want but I'd never be seen with something looking like that.

If you want it right, spend the money and get something made to do the job.

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/medium/Dscn2731.jpg

ed2hess
03-30-2009, 08:02 PM
I am not sure I understand the reason for needing an assist on these little trailers. Now try raising a closed trailer tail gate without an assist spring and that is a big deal.

Green Boots
03-30-2009, 08:04 PM
Thank you!

joshco84
03-30-2009, 08:45 PM
I am not sure I understand the reason for needing an assist on these little trailers. Now try raising a closed trailer tail gate without an assist spring and that is a big deal.

Or having that big ass spring in the top break when lifting the door. Talk about a surpirse.

Sounds like a gunshot and then you magically take all the weight of that big heavy door. Its special.

We use to use these on a gooseneck equipment trailer with a big heavy ramp. They work good.

lilweeds
03-30-2009, 08:49 PM
I have mine on the hinge of the gate. very nice and effective. Try www.ringohill.com
Mine came with the trailer, no pics, but I'll try tomorrow.

Runner
03-31-2009, 01:33 AM
His may have a some sharp edges on it and such, but it works.. Mine is home made, and I have NO sharp edges, and looks very professional. I have only a small fraction of the cost of a retail unit, and I can guarantee mine has much more power than any unit you can purchase. I will stay with the point that doing it yourself is the way to go for these....they are just too simple to build.

Green Boots
03-31-2009, 01:48 AM
Well then please share your unit, instructions, and pics.. Thanks.

ALC-GregH
03-31-2009, 10:12 AM
Runner, care to post a pic of what you made? I'll offer up my constructive criticism. :D

dlingner
08-13-2009, 11:37 AM
Hey, those set ups are pretty fancy. But all you really need is a ramp spring (http://totaltrailerparts.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=344&products_id=3692&zenid=e14d400b45adbafc428f82de4414a529) something like this.
I think this is what lilweeds (http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php?p=2894972&postcount=19) was talking about in his post. They work great are cheap, and really take the load off. Any welder could install for you.