PDA

View Full Version : What are my options for winter flowers & color?

Bluelude1
10-16-2008, 01:10 AM
I am located in zone 7 (Dallas,TX) and was wondering what my options for winter flowers & color are? I know that pansies are pretty standard for winter color, kale, & cabbage are also used. I was wondering if there anything I am missing? I would really like to find something that is available in a pink color.

BTW - Sorry if i miss typed something its getting late

TXNSLighting
10-16-2008, 01:16 AM
Mums!!!!!!

Whitey4
10-16-2008, 01:22 AM
Pansies, kale and cabbages, sedums. Not a fan of mums.... they bloom for a month and kaput.

Bluelude1
10-16-2008, 01:34 AM
Pansies, kale and cabbages, sedums. Not a fan of mums.... they bloom for a month and kaput.

Ya, I have to agree with you mums look great when they are in full bloom, but if you are maintaining large areas and using them is hard to get alot of bang for your buck.

White Gardens
10-16-2008, 08:06 AM
Even though I try not to use them too much (only because they are extremely popular and everyone requests them), but perennial grasses can help in the winter.

Even though they are dead the seed heads and old foliage look good in the winter.

I know it's not exactly color, but you at least get some sort of look out of them, and some of them actually look better to me in the winter.

NC Greenscaper
10-19-2008, 01:55 PM
Snap dragons

Az Gardener
10-19-2008, 02:24 PM
Geraniums should be a good bulletproof choice for you. I would also think
Petunias
Dianthus
Blue salvias
Allisum
Lobillia
Stock
Colengulas
Violas
Primrose

Those are the basics There are more but they are harder to find and more difficult to maintain.

Springmeadows
10-19-2008, 09:08 PM
NC Greenskeeper said it... snapdragons. Lots of color options with those. There are a couple sedums that will turn pinkish, too.