PDA

View Full Version : Looking at this mower for sale, wanna know what u think

Micheal2008
10-16-2008, 01:59 AM
Well as you all may know me and brother are starting up our lawn care bussiness next year and have been looking for a mower. Doesnt seem to be to easy to find one lol.. I found this one local not to far out of my way and was wondering what u guys thought about it.

eXmark 36" Metro with a 12HP Kohler Command engine. It also comes with a sulky and grass catcher. This mower is in EXCELLENT cond.!

Asking $1500

ACA L&L
10-16-2008, 02:14 AM
looks like a good deal.. maybe offer less if u r paying cash.

Micheal2008
10-16-2008, 02:20 AM

Yeah i emailed him asking more about it. And asked lowest buttom dollar on it. Cause i will be paying cash.
Just wondering if a 36 is big enough, How long would it take to cut a regular acre yard minimum trees/ flat land with a sulky and just walking? and how good will a 12 hp pull someone on a sulky? Me and brother are splitting everything down the middle so it wouldnt hurt our pockets alot at $1500 but would be nicer to get it cheaper..

Seems like everything i find is eithier 5 states away or looks like its been runned hard and has alot of hours for the money they are asking..

ACA L&L
10-16-2008, 02:32 AM
Yeah i emailed him asking more about it. And asked lowest buttom dollar on it. Cause i will be paying cash.
Just wondering if a 36 is big enough, How long would it take to cut a regular acre yard minimum trees/ flat land with a sulky and just walking? and how good will a 12 hp pull someone on a sulky? Me and brother are splitting everything down the middle so it wouldnt hurt our pockets alot at $1500 but would be nicer to get it cheaper..

Seems like everything i find is eithier 5 states away or looks like its been runned hard and has alot of hours for the money they are asking..

compare the price of that mower to a new one. Ask the dealer if it will pull a sulky, i have never bought a walkbehind that size, we run walker mowers and 21" toros. A new one like that cant be more than 2100.00.......if so i would buy a new one.

Micheal2008
10-16-2008, 02:45 AM
http://www.kensmowers.com/id89.html

Heres one few local mower places around here like only one online with prices. And it says they are doing sale on there mower right now and still is $2999. I tryied to find another place local with website of exmark mower with prices new but couldnt..

FDuce
10-16-2008, 09:14 AM

When you buy stuff do you pay with something other than cash??

punt66
10-16-2008, 09:59 AM

haha, yea i get people like that all the time. I just sold a plow and the guy offered me $200 less if he paid in cash. I asked him what other way is there to pay? Hamburgers?

lawnwizards
10-16-2008, 10:00 AM
he pays with dirt and grass. :laugh:

corey4671
10-16-2008, 10:10 AM
if you are planning to mow primarlily acre yards, I would steer you away from a 36 to no less than a 48 inch deck. Also, at 12hp, I'd say that might be stretching it to use a sulky...and you will be worn out after a day of mowing acre yards walking behind a 36". If you were looking at half acre or less lots, I'd say go for it. I mow several acre lots that take me 30 minutes or less with a 60" ZTR...would hate to think about mowing those with my 34" stander....JMO

Richard Martin
10-16-2008, 03:49 PM
A new one like that cant be more than 2100.00.......if so i would buy a new one.

An Exmark Metro 36" back in 2000 cost more than that. I bought one and it was close to $2500 back then.

One of the weak points on any Exmark mower are the spindles. They're greaseless and are prone to not last long.

Genlandscape
10-16-2008, 03:58 PM
That looks like a pretty good deal, but if you are mowing acre lots you definitely want a much larger deck. I have the same machine (it is older) and it will pull a sulky just fine. That said, I only weigh 160lbs. I still think you want a larger mower, you may consider a ZTR with a 50in. or larger deck. We use 56" eXmark Lazer hp's even for 1/4 acres, and the 36" machines for gated back yards. We don't have any trouble with the big machines on small lots, and the 56"s will mow about 3.5 acres per hour (reasonably).

Genlandscape
10-16-2008, 04:01 PM
Spindles!? My buddy has a Lazer z 52" with 4,000 hrs, on it and never replaced a spindle, my old JD 727a needed spindles rebiult every 500 hrs. Even with daily lubrication. The new triton spindles are supposed to last even longer. Sorry, I just had to add that.

d&rlawncare
10-16-2008, 07:21 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=246434&highlight=lansing

Stuff for sale for you to look at.

STIHL GUY
10-16-2008, 09:24 PM
seems like a nice mower. i found a 48'' in good condition with 365 residential hours and a sulky for 1700. so there are good deals out there you just have to be patient