PDA

View Full Version : Cat 277B fires

chilton
10-16-2008, 08:59 AM
Has anyone else had a Cat 277B with a cab burn up? Mine burned and I heard from the mechanic that a bunch in this area had as well.The dealer is blaming them all on debris in the engine compartment,but when you're mowing that is what it's designed to do.Also my guys blew it out twice a day or more when it got hot.

spydahead
10-16-2008, 05:51 PM
about 6mo. ago working at my friends prop.clearing slash,had a 287b burn to the ground. ins.covered it

chilton
10-16-2008, 06:16 PM
Apparently all the insurance companies are taking a beating since there seems to be quite a few that are burning to the ground.My fire investigator believes it's a design issue.Does your guy know what caused it? Or maybe a feeling about what caused it?

YellowDogSVC
10-16-2008, 06:27 PM
CATs pull a lot of debris into the sides where it falls down into the compartments. What makes them efficient at cooling also creates danger. There are some debris kits that cat requires you use if you are going to mow or mulch. I have seen at least 5 burned up C series and 1 local 268 B series burn up. Also, check for minute holes in hydraulic lines that could be atomizing hydro fluid...makes it easier to ignite.

bobcat_ron
10-16-2008, 07:33 PM
I hate to admit it, but Bobcat still has the best system out there for radiator air flow, but one popped hose in the engine/pump arear and you are still screwed.

It all boils down to daily checks, even at lunch time, I still check things out when mowing.

YellowDogSVC
10-16-2008, 08:38 PM
I hate to admit it, but Bobcat still has the best system out there for radiator air flow, but one popped hose in the engine/pump arear and you are still screwed.

It all boils down to daily checks, even at lunch time, I still check things out when mowing.

I get out and check often. More like every hour to 2 hours. Just a habit unless I am sure nothing is wrong. I had the hoses to oil cooler leak on an s300. Big leak. With all the air blowing and because the muffler is below the frame member, oil didn't get all over the motor but I did get some dripping down on the exhaust. I know it sounds quaint but a good sense of smell should alert you to something not right. I hate when I have a cold or the wind isn't right because my nose has alerted me to sticks stuck on exhaust, coolant leaks, and the big oil leak on the oil cooler.

ksss
10-16-2008, 08:59 PM
I get out and check often. More like every hour to 2 hours. Just a habit unless I am sure nothing is wrong. I had the hoses to oil cooler leak on an s300. Big leak. With all the air blowing and because the muffler is below the frame member, oil didn't get all over the motor but I did get some dripping down on the exhaust. I know it sounds quaint but a good sense of smell should alert you to something not right. I hate when I have a cold or the wind isn't right because my nose has alerted me to sticks stuck on exhaust, coolant leaks, and the big oil leak on the oil cooler.

It is amazing how fast you can smell hyd. fluid in a skid steer especially in a cabbed unit.

YellowDogSVC
10-17-2008, 08:27 AM
It is amazing how fast you can smell hyd. fluid in a skid steer especially in a cabbed unit.

scares the heck out of me every time! Gotta watch for leaks and stuff. These things are stressful to operate. Always looking and checking and leaning and sniffing, and gettin' in and out all day. Just a lot of work if you ask me. I think I am going to become a movie critic.

chilton
10-17-2008, 09:30 AM
Thank for that.Mine was a rental and the Cat dealer did not inform us about any debris kit and knew it was being used to mow as it came with a mower deck.I would think they should have been required by the manufacturer to install it if it was being rented out by them.They also did not provide any fire extinguishers, or a place to put them on the machine, which is a very small tight cab.Ours was in my service truck about 150 ft. away and by the time my operator finally got the door open,the longest 45 seconds of his life, the fire was too far gone.Do you know when they started requiring this kit?

bobcat_ron
10-17-2008, 09:47 AM
scares the heck out of me every time! Gotta watch for leaks and stuff. These things are stressful to operate. Always looking and checking and leaning and sniffing, and gettin' in and out all day. Just a lot of work if you ask me. I think I am going to become a movie critic.

Even more so if it's a Bobcat, I never had the time to smell the hydraulic leak, only notice no movement from the function. If you can smell it, you sure are lucky.

280 hours on my meter and no odd smells, just the ones that escape from me after lunch.

mdterp
10-17-2008, 12:56 PM
Even more so if it's a Bobcat, I never had the time to smell the hydraulic leak, only notice no movement from the function. If you can smell it, you sure are lucky.

280 hours on my meter and no odd smells, just the ones that escape from me after lunch.

I've been running Bobcats for 20 plus years and the only thing I smell is the money they're making me!