PDA

View Full Version : should i worry about not getting paid?

lawnwizards
10-16-2008, 10:06 AM
i have a customer i picked up in the middle of july. horrible horrible yard. anyway, i cut it once in july and the very first of august. before i could send out july's invoice, he pays me for 2 cuts. well, i did another cut in august and decided that instead of sending out a bill for just one cut, i would include that cut on septembers invoice. 3 cuts were billed. he sends me a note saying that i need to check my records because i over billed him. anyway, i never have caught him home to show him that i'm right. i'm afraid of cutting it anyway because he believes i owe him a cut and i probably wont get paid. am i overreacting or is it just something in my subconscious wanting me to drop him because his yard is a crap hole?

thanks.
randy.

Dunlaps LawnCare
10-16-2008, 11:03 AM
nope i wouldn't cutt his yard till he pay's you what he owns

Lawn Pawn
10-16-2008, 11:04 AM
I cut for an older, very nice guy..... but he gets so confused about things!!!! He has a heart of gold but it is very frustrating trying to to keep things straight.

Just need to have everything in writing and make copies. So far things have always worked out.

Good luck!

dfdsuperduty
10-16-2008, 01:57 PM
On your invoice did you list the days that you cut... if you dont it is the easiest way to avoid things like this.

brandtb1
10-16-2008, 02:27 PM
I would try to get him on the phone and tell him the days that you cut. I would also start listing the days on your invoice. You should be able to get him on the phone at some point.

1cooltreeguy
10-16-2008, 02:40 PM
Always list the service dates on your invoices...clears alot of stuff up.

lawnwizards
10-16-2008, 03:35 PM
i do list the service dates on the invoices. i think he believes that when he paid the first time that he was a cut ahead. hes a dentist and also a coroner and its impossible to ever get ahold of him. i guess i'm just gonna chance it and cut and send him a detailed invoice of all the cuts prior and present along with his payments and let him put 2 and 2 together.

djchiodo3
10-16-2008, 04:24 PM
This is why all my accounts are on a monthly basis. The price stays the same every month of the year. No confusion.

Genlandscape
10-16-2008, 04:26 PM
Dentist AND coroner!?! This guy should not have any problem paying his bills. We always list service dates on our invoices, and usually do not have any trouble collecting. If you can print a complete statement showing services provided, and payments collected. This should clear up any issues or confusion. Don't be too pushy or he may pull all of your teeth and bury you in the crappy yard LOL.

ed2hess
10-16-2008, 07:19 PM
It is practically impossible to avoid this very situation when you are trying to bill customers by the cut. That is why a monthly billing is much better and actually better for customers. You will probably lose the customer.

topsites
10-16-2008, 07:37 PM
Up to you, depends how busy you are I guess,
to a point when I am slow I don't much care who pays or not,
I just let that BS work itself out some kind of way.

HOOLIE
10-16-2008, 09:37 PM
Consistency in billing is very important IMO. Guys will debate whether a tank top is unprofessional yet give no thought to things like billing. You just invite problems on yourself when you skip a billing since it was 'only one cut'. And you don't understand why your customer might be confused??? He didn't get a bill for August at all. You should have sent him one reflecting that Aug 1 was already paid for, and showing the second, unpaid cut for that month. Instead he gets nothing til AFTER Sept is over, so now he's trying to remember stuff that happened going on close to 8 weeks earlier.

lawnwizards
10-16-2008, 11:11 PM
Consistency in billing is very important IMO. Guys will debate whether a tank top is unprofessional yet give no thought to things like billing. You just invite problems on yourself when you skip a billing since it was 'only one cut'. And you don't understand why your customer might be confused??? He didn't get a bill for August at all. You should have sent him one reflecting that Aug 1 was already paid for, and showing the second, unpaid cut for that month. Instead he gets nothing til AFTER Sept is over, so now he's trying to remember stuff that happened going on close to 8 weeks earlier.

it was his own fault for screwing up the billing. hes the one that had to pay for 2 cuts and get the sequence out of order. its hard for me to complain about someone who pays promptly though. it just kinda bites my butt for him to think i dont know how to do my books. i'm sure he would be offended if someone said the same thing about his dentistry practice.

brucec32
10-17-2008, 01:11 PM
Yes, it's SO HARD to bill per cut. Say you cut every two weeks for $30/pop and someone pays you before month end.

10/1 - mowed lawn $30
10/15 - mowed lawn $30
10/24 - payment received, thank you $60
10/29 - mowed lawn $30
11/5 - mowed lawn $30
11/19 - mowed lawn $30

Balance due $90

There is a thing called a STATEMENT that is not an invoice but which shows a history of payments and charges. Send it along with the invoice to clarify the issue.