PDA

View Full Version : Looking for help buying a backpack blower

joeco129
10-16-2008, 12:49 PM
I'm looking for a backpack blower for my personal use. I'm not a landscaper, I'm a residential remodeling contractor... I've been looking at my local HD and Lowes and been comparing A Husquavarna and an Echo. Both seem to have models from $200 to about $320...

I did notice the Husky 150BT California backpack $320 is only a 40cc/175mph/438cfm and the Echo @ $320 is a 44cc/154mph/830cfm and seems to have more creature comforts like cruise control... Any of you use either or both?

Any suggestions or comments I appreciate? Or things I should stay away from?

I also saw a 32cc Troy Built 4 cycle for $239.00... 150mph/475cfm only 15lbs too... Good deal or not?

I want something to last a long time and don't mind paying for it... Are 2 cycles that much better than a 4 cycle?

Husky does have a 25cc/140mph for $189.00... Doesn't even list the cfm's. Is this a cheapo?

Thanks again to anyone who replies... My back and my yard appreciate it!!!

Going Commercial
10-16-2008, 12:57 PM
I would buy a Stihl blower. They have many models to choose from. You may be able to buy a better hand-held with enough power for what you need. There is a reason why you won't find a Stihl at Lowes or Home Depot

karlgrooms
10-16-2008, 01:34 PM
Got a husky 145bt about 6 years ago at Lowe's for home use. I picked up a yard, then two and on to now twelve.. The Husky has performed flawlessly with absolutely zero problems and no TLC... It has spent the last four years on my truck or on the trailer out in the weather. It always starts by the second pull.

This year I upgraded to a more powerful Stihl br600 cause I knew there was something more. The br600 is awesome, quiet, and tons more powerful. I can't believe how much more I can move with this unit.

If your looking at a box store brand then the Husky is quite a good buy. If not I would recommend going by your local Stihl dealer and have a chat with him. Stihl has wide range of blowers, with their most powerful br600 at $479.00. I'm sure they have one to fit your needs. You will also have dealer support to answer questions or if something goes wrong.

Stihl units come with a 2 year warranty also.

RedRebel
10-16-2008, 01:55 PM
I bought a shindawia eb630rt for 225$ off ebay. It was used very little by a homeowner and you can tell. So dont rule out a used br550- 600 or a shindawia cause you dont want to pay 500$ or more.

Weedas_Lawn_Care
10-16-2008, 02:43 PM
buy a stihl 380 model for $299 you will be much happier and the dealer will take care of any problems unlike lowes or HD

IHusky
10-16-2008, 04:37 PM
Go big, you won't regret getting something that blows 800 cfms, escpecailly

thu cutting edge
10-16-2008, 05:46 PM
yea look at an echo or stihl. Husquavarna is nothing but junk. i own all echo and stihl and they are really good pieces of machinery.

freshprince94
10-16-2008, 07:22 PM
For home use, just save some dough and go Stihl BG-85 handheld. If you really need a backpack then for just grass go Stihl 380, I use this and it works perfectly for my company. Just remove the curved end tube and you've got the same power as the BR-420. If you do leaves than I would definitely go with the BR-600.

topsites
10-16-2008, 07:26 PM
I recommend finding a local Outdoor Power Equipment dealer,
someone involved with Stihl and Echo.

First you need someone who understands the correlation between miles per hour and cubic feet per minute,
as there exists little in ways of comparing what has never been a standardized form of power measure and it just doesn't quite
work out the way most of us might think, thus it is better if an experienced salesman can match a unit to your specific needs.

This being no small purchase you will also want someone who can service the unit over the years,
including the fact that warranty issues are handled locally and the dealer can answer most any questions.

btw the bg-85 is a decent unit but it sucks in terms of value for the dollar.

mngrassguy
10-16-2008, 07:52 PM
Topsites is right again. Stay away from the big box stores. Service is just as important as brand choice. I have Echo's and Stihl's and love them all.

karlgrooms
10-16-2008, 08:47 PM
yea look at an echo or stihl. Husquavarna is nothing but junk. i own all echo and stihl and they are really good pieces of machinery.

I beg to differ. I own two echo hand helds. I consider them junk...Takes a while to get them started and takes a while to warm up to the task... bog down, bog down choke then die and if I'm lucky after a round or two I can go to work...
My Husky put in start position, lift the choke lever, hit the primer button, one pull started , unchoke and off and running.....I might be lucky, but after 6 years but you think that luck would run out... It still preforms today like the day I bought it.

I just got in from a leave job, and I must say my Stihl br600 is awesome. It sure can lay waste to some pretty big piles of leaves. I hope it holds up half as well as my husqvarna has.:clapping:

4 seasons lawn&land
10-16-2008, 09:06 PM
Get a red max 8001 and blow snow too!

STIHL GUY
10-16-2008, 10:10 PM
Go with a STIHL or if you do decide on the ECHO get it from the dealer, the price wont be too much diffrent and youll have somewhere to get it fixed

joeco129
10-16-2008, 10:51 PM
Thanks for all the input from everyone. I have a Stihl dealer not far from me and he sells Echo too... I think I am going shopping tomorrow! Oh Yeah!

sweetz
10-17-2008, 12:57 AM
I beg to differ. I own two echo hand helds. I consider them junk...Takes a while to get them started and takes a while to warm up to the task... bog down, bog down choke then die and if I'm lucky after a round or two I can go to work...

OK.....I beg to differ with you. Everyone is going to have their preferences with equipment. But ECHO...junk.....I don't think so. It just depends on whether or not you can/do take care of them. I have some ECHOs that are going on 10+ years that are used 4-6 days a week for about 4 hours that start on the FIRST pull & run awesome. I also have some newer ECHOs that are used the same & perform the same. I also have a STIHL FC110 edger & it takes 4-6 pulls to get it started & it takes about 30 seconds to warm up to full throttle at EVERY job (after cooling for maybe 15-30 minuites). I also have a STIHL BR600 which I LOVE!!! It starts on the first or second pull when it's cold & it would dig a hole in concrete! So, it's all personal preference & dealer support (or lack there of). Personally, it's easier for me to work on ECHOs, so I like them better, that's the main reason. But, I have an open trailer & if the ECHOs are resting a certain way in their rack & it rains, the air filter gets to soak in water! So, for that reason & that reason only I'm thinking of maybe buying a Kawi next.

MOHUSTLER
10-17-2008, 10:50 AM
Asking about trimmers and blowers you will get more mixed responses here then asking about ZTR's. Just get a good one and not one from a box store and you will be verry pleased with it.

Spend the extra $50 past the box store price and get a good one that will last u another 10 years past box store junk.

sweetz
10-17-2008, 02:18 PM
Asking about trimmers and blowers you will get more mixed responses here then asking about ZTR's. Just get a good one and not one from a box store and you will be verry pleased with it.

Spend the extra $50 past the box store price and get a good one that will last u another 10 years past box store junk.

Very well said! :drinkup:

genesis215
10-17-2008, 03:38 PM
Echo's are good. Redmax is best. Or the Stihl BR-600.

genesis215
10-17-2008, 04:26 PM
The Redmax EBZ7001 and 8001 are the best out there. The 7001 blows 809 cfm, and the 8001 blows 915 cfm. Ebay is by far the best source for backpack blowers. Get one used from a reliable seller, and you will be very happy, plus get a great deal. I got my Shindaiwa EB630 for $100 of of Ebay. I wouldn't recommend that blower, but am just giving you an example of the deals you can get on Ebay. If you end up getting an Echo from Home Depot, get the biggest model they have, which if I recall is the PB-613. Never compromise on the CFM's a blower puts out as they are the key to how much material you can move.

genesis215
10-17-2008, 04:29 PM
I'm sorry, it's actually the PB-413.

genesis215
10-17-2008, 04:34 PM
Don't get the CARB-CERTIFIED model, which is the PB-413HC. Those carburetors are bad. They have one that isn't called the PB-413T. BTW, the price is on it is $319, and it has a 44cc 2-stroke engine, with 380 CFM.