PDA

View Full Version : Exmark reliability after ~1500 hrs??

DrFast1
10-16-2008, 04:44 PM
Hi guys.

After looking though past posts I notice some people saying not to buy/keep an Exmark Laser Z after the unit reaches ~1500 hours.

I am trying to get an idea of what Maintenance is MOST important for keeping a unit running past 1500 hrs (besides the obvious oil changes).

Anyone care to comment on Exmark's reliability post 1500 hours?

Thanks,

Nathan

djchiodo3
10-16-2008, 04:56 PM
What kind of engine does it have? I have Exmark with 31hp Briggs Vanguard. 2800 hrs and still mowing strong. Have Kohlors with 2000 hrs and running strong. Once they were broken in I replaced oil and filter every 50 -60 hours. Use fully syn. 10w- 30

DrFast1
10-16-2008, 05:01 PM
Model number: LZ28KC724

72" deck with 28hp Kohler Fuel Injected.

The unit is a 2005.

has Donaldson Air Filter

I hope this helps.

Nathan

QualityLawnCare4u
10-16-2008, 05:03 PM
I have saw folks with 2500 plus hours on original engine and some with new engines around 600 hours so there is a great variance. Mine only has 670 so far and I hope it goes a lot longer. I belive in this:
1) change the oil often. I change mine every 25 hours, even though the manual says you can go longer.
2) Keep the air filter clean, I blow mine out every day and change it when it gets where I can't see through it good.
3) Blow off the engine cooling fins everyday. I have seen a lot of mowers with dirt/grass clogged up around them so bad you could not even see the engine!
4) I also grease all the necessary fittings every 25 hours.

However, if you own a deere 737/757 none of the above applies as it will have catatrospic failure between 500-600 hours no matter what you do!

Genlandscape
10-16-2008, 05:03 PM
Where did you hear this 1,500 hour rule, just curious 'cause I've never heard it. There is a reason there a more eXmarks out there than any other make.

thu cutting edge
10-16-2008, 05:30 PM
i have a walk behind with a 16 hp briggs vanguard air cooled. it has 3568 hrs and burns no oil. and im not kidding it is used all the time and runs strong.

TLS
10-16-2008, 05:39 PM
After 1500hrs things on ALL mowers start to loosen up.

Be prepared for the following on any mower with 1500hrs:

Deck hanger wear.
Deck strut wear.
Idler arm wear (all 3 of them).
Idler spring/mount breakage.
Idler pulley bearings.
Pulley wear in general.
Spindle bearing wear.
Caster wheel bearing wear.
Hydro system wear.
Belts, hoses.

If your OK replacing broken parts, they'll last forever.

There comes a time though, that you can trade in or sell and be working with new equipment PRIOR to any of the above happening. And that time varies with each piece of equipment.

MOHUSTLER
10-16-2008, 06:07 PM
Stuff on EVERY mower after 1500 hours starts to wear down. Same as everything. Keep your fluids good and everything greased up and you will be fine. Most of the time if there hasnt been to many issues as of 1500 hours. Its not a lemon and you might have decent luck with it.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
10-16-2008, 06:15 PM
There is a reason there a more eXmarks out there than any other make.

What reason would that be?

Genlandscape
10-16-2008, 06:28 PM
Reason: Reliability, quality of cut, and reputation. I never said they were perfect (no such thing) nor did I put any other manufacturer down. I am partial to eXmark, and all I said is that more are out there than any others. I went to Hawaii last year and the LCO's there didn't know what an eXmark was.

lawnman_scott
10-16-2008, 06:52 PM
After 1500hrs things on ALL mowers start to loosen up.

Be prepared for the following on any mower with 1500hrs:

Deck hanger wear.
Deck strut wear.
Idler arm wear (all 3 of them).
Idler spring/mount breakage.
Idler pulley bearings.
Pulley wear in general.
Spindle bearing wear.
Caster wheel bearing wear.
Hydro system wear.
Belts, hoses.

If your OK replacing broken parts, they'll last forever.

There comes a time though, that you can trade in or sell and be working with new equipment PRIOR to any of the above happening. And that time varies with each piece of equipment.Pulleys, bearings, belts and hoses are all extremely minor things that a moron with a $13 tool set could fix. Its not a reason to not buy a mower.

Mine has 33/3400 hours on it and its still going great. Its a lazer with a 27hp kohler.

Richard Martin
10-16-2008, 07:38 PM
Some of the things I keep seeing go bad on Exmarks are electric clutches, electrical switches, spindles, steering dampners and pullies. They also have a habit of superceeding older parts with newer parts that require whole new assembles and not just the part that you might need.

mngrassguy
10-16-2008, 07:46 PM
Change the hydro fluid every year. Use sythetic only. They are costly to replace.

TLS
10-16-2008, 11:58 PM
Pulleys, bearings, belts and hoses are all extremely minor things that a moron with a $13 tool set could fix. Its not a reason to not buy a mower.

Mine has 33/3400 hours on it and its still going great. Its a lazer with a 27hp kohler.

I think the OP wanted to know if he should keep or sell the mower in question.

Yes, they are minor, but they all add up.

I've been successful at getting $4-5K for my 3-4 y/o used mowers. That's about 1/2 of original purchase price. I think that is a good deal for me and the buyer. I sell before there are problems.

MOHUSTLER
10-17-2008, 10:37 AM
I've been successful at getting $4-5K for my 3-4 y/o used mowers. That's about 1/2 of original purchase price. I think that is a good deal for me and the buyer. I sell before there are problems.

Your exactly right, I allways tell my customers to trade them off before they hit that point to where they loose most of there reslae value. If you keep a mower past 1500 hours, Just plan on keeping it till the gastanks fall off.

On the other side of that, We have seen mowers in here that have 1500+ hours on them and have been wiped down with a diaper after they were put up. And look much better then mowers we have seen with 25 hours on them.

brucec32
10-17-2008, 10:50 AM
Keep in mind the guts of these machines (engines, hydros) are often the same brands on different brands of mower.

Little stuff goes wrong with time. But the engines and hydro system components are what you should be concerned with. At 1500 hours it probably depends more on how it was used and maintained (plus how lucky you are) than what brand of mower it is.

A "bargain" old mower can quickly lose its bargain status with a few breakdowns. I relegate my old mowers to backup status. Time and staying on schedule is too valuable.

DaughtryLC
10-17-2008, 03:04 PM
I have a Friend with over 3000, same motor, 25hp kohler!!

TLS
10-17-2008, 04:50 PM
Engines are cheap.

I'll dump 2 grand in an engine swap anyday. Especially when mowers are $10-12K new. It's the other stuff that not everyone can do....hydro's, etc that can get costly and take a good chunk out of your future ROI.

I take a $10K mower, use it for 3-4 years (1500+/-hrs), then put it out in front of my house for sale and get $4-$5K for it. The only major item I usually replace in that period of time is tires. If I would keep them longer, problems can start to surface that will cost money and do nothing to increase my ROI. Plus by keeping them they depreciate more and I would have a harder time selling something that old/beat. I will lease my next unit for 3 yrs with a $1 buyout, sell and repeat.

My equipment is kept in top notch shape, and always garage kept. This has a little to do with the money I am able to get for them used.

ericmcj31
10-17-2008, 05:04 PM
I am on the other end of the spectrum. I sold my last mower at 2 years and one day old (a day out of warranty). I am a smaller operator (just me and 2 guys), so I can afford the pretty much "change my whole fleet" of mowers -being it's just one ZTR. I got burned really badly a couple of mowers ago and it costed me out the wazoo that 3rd year. So here's what I do--I buy a demo model (usually has like 25-40 hours on it), but I get like 1500-2K off normal selling price. Example-this mower I have now is a Ferris 3100 series I believe--it has a 30HP Kohler and 4-wheel suspension, etc., etc. I bought it at 8100 last April. This coming April I told my dealer to hold me a demo and he said I should ask about 7 for mine (it's a 10K mower new)--and so this mower only actually costed me 1100-1500 to use for 2 years!!! If you have a dealer who will do this, do it! It saves $$$ that you could put toward something else!

dc33
10-18-2008, 10:03 AM
Engines are cheap.

I'll dump 2 grand in an engine swap anyday. Especially when mowers are $10-12K new. It's the other stuff that not everyone can do....hydro's, etc that can get costly and take a good chunk out of your future ROI.

I take a $10K mower, use it for 3-4 years (1500+/-hrs), then put it out in front of my house for sale and get $4-$5K for it. The only major item I usually replace in that period of time is tires. If I would keep them longer, problems can start to surface that will cost money and do nothing to increase my ROI. Plus by keeping them they depreciate more and I would have a harder time selling something that old/beat. I will lease my next unit for 3 yrs with a $1 buyout, sell and repeat.

My equipment is kept in top notch shape, and always garage kept. This has a little to do with the money I am able to get for them used.

Im with you!
my old Exmark pretty much fell apart after 1800 hrs. I put about 800 hrs/year on it and after thw warrenty was gone in the 3rd year the spindles crapped out (warrenty covered), wheel motors, hydro pumps, stearing dampeners, etc. And the engine was noticably down on power compared to newer engines. I wasted about $2k fixing everything, so now I keep it as my backup and leaf mower. 2500 hrs on it now

the time I loose is more imporant than loosing a few thousand trading it in earlier rather than later, on top of all the out of warrenty expences :(

My Super Z is at 1500 hrs now and has already had new pumps and is on its 3rd set of wheel motors :( still under warrenty though :)
sadly I take care of it, dont abuse it, and do all scheduled maintance. It'll be getting replaced before it hits 2k hours

milo
10-18-2008, 02:39 PM
man i had a bobcat with 4000+ hours and ran fine. sure u will change spindles and pulleys, belts steering dampeners. but as long as you always have proper oil levels in hydro and engine and keep parts clean so they dont over heat and dont beat the crap out of the mowers they will last for 8000 hours.

TLS
10-18-2008, 03:59 PM
man i had a bobcat with 4000+ hours and ran fine. sure u will change spindles and pulleys, belts steering dampeners. but as long as you always have proper oil levels in hydro and engine and keep parts clean so they dont over heat and dont beat the crap out of the mowers they will last for 8000 hours.

That's quite optimistic! :dizzy: I guess you fall into the run it till it falls apart crowd.

With ZTR technology as fast as it is, I would rather have something new and improved every couple of years, than every decade!