PDA

View Full Version : winterizing

Executiveos
10-16-2008, 09:51 PM
what do you guy's do with your backpack's, trimmers and weed whips in the winter? anything special

Richard Martin
10-17-2008, 03:58 AM
I drain the fuel out of mine, check the air filter and plugs and then put them away. On the trimmers I also put a squirt or two of grease in the trimmer head. I've been doing it this way for many, many years and they always start up on the first or second pull in the Spring.

ALC-GregH
10-17-2008, 08:04 AM
I've had luck with not even touching them over the last 5 years. :) This year I might do some maintenance though since I use them daily now.

topsites
10-17-2008, 10:59 AM
Yes, grease the gear head on the trimmer!
The part that holds the spool, most dealers sell a tube of Stihl grease and it
is expensive ($8) but the advantage is the tube screws into that hole so then
I just squeeze and done (plus it's the right grease), put the plug back in.
The plug is a bolt, actually, can be loosened with the Stihl T-handle torx tool thou a wrench might be required.
One tube goes a bit of a ways, I'm finishing my 7th year solo and am on my 2nd or 3rd $8 tube.

Then drain the fuel manually,
start it and run until it shuts off,
put it away.

Wittapp
10-17-2008, 11:15 AM
I have heard that you should fog the carbs, but, I have never done that. I just drain and lube, then store.
Dave in Dayton

Weedas_Lawn_Care
10-17-2008, 01:08 PM
i also heard that while you have the spark plug out put a couple of sqirts of W-D40 in the cylinder and that will keep the rings good and from rusting that might be if you are going to store it for a long time

Scagguy
10-17-2008, 01:58 PM
I start mixing a little bit of Sea Foam in all of my equipment this time of the year. Some of my stuff runs year round, while other pieces don't. Never had a problem yet.