PDA

View Full Version : Digging a basement cost?

meets1
10-16-2008, 11:01 PM
Thought I would ask those that know! Looking at building a spec home, roughly 45 x 50 with garage included - only footings. What can I expect to pay for this?? Poured walls, i would think around 9 ft high.

P.Services
10-16-2008, 11:04 PM
just the cost to dig the basment? or the cost to pour also?

Dirtman2007
10-16-2008, 11:09 PM
Does the dirt have to be haul off or can it be spread out on site.

Your looking at atleast 750 yards, probably 850 by the time you over dig for waterproofing.

meets1
10-16-2008, 11:15 PM
Digging only - but heck throw in the poured walls also. 6 inch walls. Dirt will be pushed to the side and used as backfill where needed - then yes, maybe some hauled off site.

P.Services
10-16-2008, 11:18 PM
i cant guess a price on the poured walls. but i would say around a grand just for the digging then add a few bones for backfill.

wanabe
10-16-2008, 11:51 PM
9 foot walls 6 inches thick? I have poured basements in the past, and would not do that!

meets1
10-16-2008, 11:58 PM
then what would you do? Just visisted my brother-in-laws house. Spread footings 12 inches x 12 inches, set 9ft poured walls on top 6 inches thick. one local contractor goes with an 8 inch wall for residential and 12 on up for commercial.

P.Services
10-17-2008, 12:04 AM
is there a brick ledge your not counting?

RockSet N' Grade
10-17-2008, 12:14 AM
That is a loaded question. Spec home from the ground up? Hard and soft cost? Hard cost should be around $100 a sq. ft and $60 a sq. ft for the garage. It all depends on what you are putting into it as to finish, who the architect is ( they can easily double or cut your building costs in half), lot conditions, etc. You can easily spend $150-$200 a sq. ft and up for a "spec home"........not enough information to give you an intelligent response. Best advise would be to ask some local builders what they are building for, ask an architect what the rates are in your area or ask a building inspector - they are always full of information which you may have to sift through to find what you need.

RockSet N' Grade
10-17-2008, 12:19 AM
If you are looking for just a digging price for just footings, get backfill and compaction included in the bid and do not get those done as "extras". I can dig your footings in one day and rough grade/backfill/compact in another day.......that would be my equipment plus one laborer. I do not know rates in your area, but for me to show up and guide a homeowner through that process I would charge $3-$4k knowing that I would be babysitting and fixing as much as working. If I did that for a contractor, the price would be halved.

Dirt Digger2
10-17-2008, 03:48 AM
you say footings only? then you figure a day base charge would be $850

if you are digging the entire basement then you figure 3 days or $2550 if the dirt is to be piled on site like most foundations

obviously backfill/rough grade is going to be more so add a day for that or $850....

and a 6" wall is very very thin....i wouldn't want anything less then 8 on my house....the normal up here is 8"

10-17-2008, 04:25 AM
yes 8" is the way to go. I have poured lots of basements (help out my friend who is partner in a concrete company). FWI, 9' walls cost considerably more than 8', because most contractors only have 8' forms, and adding that extra foot on top is a pain. Also, corners will drive the price up alot. keep the house square/rectangle with just 4 corners and you'll save a bunch.

Canon Landscaping
10-17-2008, 09:33 AM
we form and pour for 7-9 dollars per face foot contractor supplies concrete and rebar

meets1
10-17-2008, 10:41 AM
Ok. I was told about 1/2 day to dig and move dirt back. I will most likely do my own backfill and rough grade since I do alot of rough grade already getting places ready for landscape/seeding. I haven't gotta a price on walls though yet.

wanabe
10-17-2008, 11:24 AM
If you can come up with some better deminisions, I can probably get you a price that is in the ballpark. The guy that dug our basements could usually get 2 dug a day, if they were in the same area, and the basement did not have a bunch of corners in it. The footing will need to be 22-24 inches wide and 10-12 inches thick/ We always poured 10 inch walls when going 9 foot tall. 8" for 8 foot walls. But 2 story houses always got 10 inch walls as well. What is concrete running in your area? We are $72.00 for 6 bag mix. Something that you also need to add in is backfilling the walls, along with the rock for drainage, and the fill for the garage floor. I will guess that you are in the $25,000 range, + or - 5,000.

meets1
10-17-2008, 12:18 PM
Yup - your close. Been told around the 25K range. DIgging and poured walls. At 9ft high, they will go 8 inches thick. Basement floor, garage floor with drain pit. I will take care of backfilling.

AWJ Services
10-17-2008, 12:40 PM
Here one person digs and pads the basement.
Another company digs and pours the footers.
Another company sets the walls and pours them.
Another company pours the basement floor.
Another company does the drainage.
Another company does the backfill.

Talk about efficiency.LOL

meets1
10-17-2008, 02:29 PM
1 company digs. Another company will do all footings and wall work, flat work if wanted. Then anyone's ballgame.

stuvecorp
10-17-2008, 09:56 PM
Here one person digs and pads the basement.
Another company digs and pours the footers.
Another company sets the walls and pours them.
Another company pours the basement floor.
Another company does the drainage.
Another company does the backfill.

Talk about efficiency.LOL

Not around here, most have gone to the one call do it all deal.

wanabe
10-17-2008, 10:32 PM
One call gets it all hear also. The concrete contractor that I worked for hired a guy with a cat 320 B excavator to dig the hole. We then poured the footing and called the readymix plat for the slinger with the rock. We then poured the walls, and called the water proof company. After they got done, we called the slinger truck back again. Then it was back to the excavating guy, this time with a 953B cat, and a tandem if too much dirt was on site.

AWJ Services
10-17-2008, 10:42 PM
The wall guys here all have specialized trucks with compartments for the forms and cranes too set the forms.

wanabe
10-17-2008, 11:58 PM
Yep, we had a tri axle flatbed sterling with a 64' boom on the rear of the bed. We also had baskets with all the fillers in it, that we just lowered into the hole, along with all the racks for the alum forms. The boom truck sure makes it a easier job!

meets1
10-18-2008, 01:16 AM
How long till forms come off? One company here does it all in a day. Footings at a 1-2 slump = dry. Then they set walls, pour at 4-5 slump and on a july day they pull forms that night. Yesterday they poured footings in the morning, then the walls in the afternoon and 8 am this morning they pulled forms. This was a 9ft wall, 8inches thick all the way around.

murray83
10-18-2008, 05:29 PM
Excavate,footings,forms,concrete and backfill for us is around 10K on an average house.

We'll lay out the footing and pour the same day,strip it and bail stone for the floor the next morning,our sub comes later and pours the walls and again they're stripped the next day then coated with tar.

SinjonAssociates
10-18-2008, 10:41 PM
Do you have to pull permits? Our local building department requires approved architectural and engineered plans for the project. The engineer inspects the steel for the footings then again for the walls. Some municipalities require their own inspectors to do the inspection. The project I am doing now is an addition and two car attached garage and with the expansive soils we have to drill 29 10" caissons 32' deep with 3 #6 bar with rings every 5'. The first hole we got down 30' and hit water so we had to bring in a pumper to pump the water out. It pays to have a soils test if you have potential issues with your local soils.
George

SuperDuty335
10-20-2008, 08:09 PM
32'??:dizzy::dizzy:Just build it on floats!;)