PDA

View Full Version : LARGE Live Oak Suppliers?

CALandscapes
10-17-2008, 12:36 AM
Here's my dilemma:

I have a potential client who is looking to have the LARGEST Live Oaks that money can buy installed. I'm trying to find a grower/installer who might be able to help me.

Please keep in mind that money is absolutely not an object to this client. The larger the tree, the better.

I'm able to find 765 gallon boxed trees with 10"+ calipers, but these aren't large enough.

I'm trying to find 50+ year old oaks...

I'm in the greater New Orleans area, and would like to find a supplier who grows in the same climate and soil conditions as to reduce the shock that these trees will experience when transplanted.

Any input is appreciated.

-Chase

Michael J. Donovan
10-17-2008, 12:47 AM
you may also want to check out our tree forum and ask your question over there as well - www.treeservicessite.com

have a good one :waving:

BrandonV
10-17-2008, 04:48 PM
I don't know of any growers in your area the only thing to keep in mind is having trees moved getting more than 100" ball is going to be very difficult because of highway weight limits.

Summit L & D
10-18-2008, 12:26 AM
You might try Alfaro Tree Sales in San Antonio, Texas. They have a fair selection of big oaks. Here is the number for Lucio: 210-710-8938. I know they cross state lines....so they should be able to help you.

Also, have you checked with Davey Tree Moving? You may be able to work your way up the chain and find so really big stuff.

kogafortwo
10-18-2008, 08:54 AM
This would be a good post on www.arboristsite.com.

PHS
10-19-2008, 11:30 PM
Sorry I haven't lived in this area long enough to point you to the right people but I can tell you form experience that when you get into trees of that size you probably aren't looking at nurseries anymore but rather tree movers. I've worked on projects like that where we found property owners who were willing to sell some native trees. We selelcted the ones we wanted and negotiated prices for them and that's how we got trees of sufficient size.

The only other piece of advice I can give is to really have your post planting care program in order before you start. Many times I've worked on the IPM side of those projects and it can be very tricky the first couple years until the trees get stabilized again.

CALandscapes
10-20-2008, 01:07 AM
Sorry I haven't lived in this area long enough to point you to the right people but I can tell you form experience that when you get into trees of that size you probably aren't looking at nurseries anymore but rather tree movers. I've worked on projects like that where we found property owners who were willing to sell some native trees. We selelcted the ones we wanted and negotiated prices for them and that's how we got trees of sufficient size.

The only other piece of advice I can give is to really have your post planting care program in order before you start. Many times I've worked on the IPM side of those projects and it can be very tricky the first couple years until the trees get stabilized again.

I was advised the same thing by a friend; to locate trees we can purchase from homeowners.

I will probably not be responsible for the moving and installation portion; rather, I'll sub this to my friend and let him be liable for the warranty, after care, etc.

PHS
10-20-2008, 10:23 AM
Often times a specialized tree moving company has connections for buying and selling large trees themselves. They figure in their take of the pie but at least you can get what you want. Landscape architects can sometimes pan out as a source for large trees too. They may have a project in the works where a customer may be looking at cutting some trees and the homeowner, if offered, would likely rather sell them than pay to have them cut.

If you don't have the specific expertise in the challenges associated with large tree moving and care, subbing it out is absloutely the right decision. Make your money and reduce the headache :). Spend the saved time and energy to make money on the projects your company specializes in.