PDA

View Full Version : Scag 36" WB repower

siggeorge
10-17-2008, 03:26 PM
I am a residential user with a 20 year old 36" Scag walk-behind, belt-drive, clutch mower. Its first 5 years were spent in commercial duty and now 15 years on my 1.5 acre yard. I love the machine and thought it would be a lifetime mower but it seems that I have lived too long. The Kawasaki FB460V engine is on its last legs and I wish to re-power. Since the FB460 is discontinued I have looked at the Kohler CV15T-41582 engine and the latest Kawasaki engine. While I like Kawasaki the Kohler is much more reasonably priced considering this is a residential machine.

Question - Are there any suggestions for these or other engines that I may consider? I want to stick with recoil start machines.

Thanks for any advice.

Tharrell
10-17-2008, 06:20 PM
I have 2 cv15 Kohlers. They are pretty much bullet proof. Tony

djchiodo3
10-17-2008, 06:37 PM
Tharrell is right. Kohlers are great engines. Take care of them and you will be passing this mower on in your will. LOL

Tnlawnguy
10-17-2008, 06:40 PM
I just put a CV15-41582 on my old scag and it's been perfect since then. I'm gonna add electric start to mine soon. Great engines, they'll last a long time with proper care! Go with the Kohler!

ed2hess
10-17-2008, 08:26 PM
We have been putting the Kohlers on our Scag when engines failo over the years but the last two are duds. Both of them had carb that had to be replaced because they leaked gas in the cyclinder after a year....warranty 90 days on carb. And one was a darn hard starter after the first year, finally at the end of second year Kohler agreed to clean valves and put in new rings and that helped. Bottom line I would stay with Kaw....they start easier when you got rope pull. yes I know that cost a lot more but I have had it with Kohler.

djchiodo3
10-17-2008, 08:33 PM
There are thousands of Kaw. and there are thousands of Kohler engines out running right now. Both will always have issues here and there. You can buy a lemon mower too, doesn't mean they are all bad.

NINER
10-17-2008, 08:57 PM
I am a residential user with a 20 year old 36" Scag walk-behind, belt-drive, clutch mower. Its first 5 years were spent in commercial duty and now 15 years on my 1.5 acre yard. I love the machine and thought it would be a lifetime mower but it seems that I have lived too long. The Kawasaki FB460V engine is on its last legs and I wish to re-power. Since the FB460 is discontinued I have looked at the Kohler CV15T-41582 engine and the latest Kawasaki engine. While I like Kawasaki the Kohler is much more reasonably priced considering this is a residential machine.

Question - Are there any suggestions for these or other engines that I may consider? I want to stick with recoil start machines.

Thanks for any advice.

cv-15 is a great motor i used one on a scag 36 for 7 years commercially i have no idea of hours sold to a friend and still runs perfecy for him. of course reg preventive maint. helps.

siggeorge
10-28-2008, 03:34 PM
Many thanks for the input from everyone. Having read through numerous threads on this site it is easy to see that there are a lot of generous giving people here. Kudos.

TLS
10-28-2008, 04:27 PM
Just another way of looking at things....

Are you prepared to do this work yourself?

The reason I ask, is that your going to dump at least $600 into a 20 year old mower. Add a couple hundred to that if your going to pay someone to do the swap. Thats close to what you could buy a much newer walkbehind that would cut better. The older SCAGS aren't known for their cut quality.

I would rather see you jump up to a newer model with a wider deck for your size property.

Check out the local mower shops, ebay/craigs, and even on here for listings of used mowers for sale. There are guys getting out of biz this time of year and they need cash for the winter. Many sell off equipment in the fall. Just as you bought this unit used some time ago, you can do the same again. You will also be able to get some money for yours as well.

Just hate to see you sink anymore money into such an old mower.

Tnlawnguy
10-28-2008, 06:12 PM
My old scag WB gives a great quality cut, I'm very pleased with it's results!

Doing the swap is ridiculously easy. Let me know if you need any help if you do end up going with the kohler!

TLS
10-28-2008, 11:29 PM
Just trying to give him some other options. For less than the cost of a new engine, he can sell his still operating 36" and buy a newer (still used) 48-52" WB with no engine problems. 1.5 acres is a lot for a 36" mower IMO.

I would have to rank the classic deck SCAG's cut quality as one of the lowest in industry. Not that there unusable, but there are much better cutting decks out there.

Tnlawnguy
10-29-2008, 09:49 AM
Well I guess I probably wouldnt consider mine as classic as the OPs. I think it's around a 99 model.

I agree on getting a bigger mower though. It would benefit to have a bigger mower with your property!:D 36" is definately too small for 1.5 acres!

siggeorge
10-29-2008, 10:58 AM
I am using a 36 due to the unusual grade nature of the property and associated stream bed that runs through the middle. Anything larger would bottom out. Also, I have numerous flower beds that would, otherwise, require a second pass using a push mower. I'd love to do fewer passes but in the end it would probably take as much time.

While I have never had a problem with the cut quality, I do understand the age issue and agree that a newer machine would probably be a prudent purchase at this point. I have been checking craigs list and missed two good opportunities in the past two weeks. I guess others recognized the good deals as well and beat me to it. I don't have a truck so that limits the distance someone might go to deliver thereby requiring the sale to be local.

Additionally, I'm a pretty decent backyard mechanic with an extensive tool inventory. I'm an EE by trade but by no means a "true" mechanic. However, I do have friends...

Thanks for your time.

TLS
10-29-2008, 11:03 AM
I have a 48" SCAG if you'd every want to try it out some day. I'm just a few minutes from you depending on what side of the mountain your on. It's not for sale, but if you ever wanted to see how it would work as the 48" are more compact than 36" (length wise).

topsites
10-29-2008, 11:13 AM
I used to think just like you're doing, and two years and countless repairs later
I would have rather spent the 3-4 thousand on a new machine, mine is only 10
years old but every other thing just keeps breaking and I've about rebuilt the
entire mower and one might think the road is clear but I am afraid of what's going
to break down next.

I'm talking transmission, spindle bearings, idler wheels, brake pads and wheel pulleys
and trans pulley and tension wheel, the control handle, and I forget what else has gone
but I've spent probably another thousand in parts alone by now, that's on top of the engine.

The only thing I can figure, all that new 'power' didn't go over too well with my old machine.
Such is life but it's not as ridiculously easy as one might think, just for starters one needs at
least one but usually several special tools, the older the machine the more stubborn it gets.

Then, the precise engine that you need is super expensive, nobody will help you find an
equivalent and if you order aftermarket and install it yourself nobody will cover the warranty.
They're supposed to, but they just got too busy or some other run-around, that was my experience.

So speaking from experience once a machine gets past a certain point you're as well if not
better off replacing the mower whole, for the $1-2000 you're going to spend on
that engine because there's no telling what's about to fail next.

TLS
10-29-2008, 11:17 AM
Topsites, what kind of engine on a 36" WB cost $2000??? The engine only costs $600.

Most I could see him spending is $1000 max to have it done for him.

The other route to go siggeorge.... would be to look into a Quick 36 or 44.

topsites
10-29-2008, 11:30 AM
Topsites, what kind of engine on a 36" WB cost $2000??? The engine only costs $600.

Most I could see him spending is $1000 max to have it done for him.

The other route to go siggeorge.... would be to look into a Quick 36 or 44.

http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/product.asp?PN=FB460V
Product Number FB460V does not exist or is not in stock.

Here we go, it's starting already.
Yup, same old, same old, sure enough.

Why I am sure you can find it, but I just went to the place I usually go to and they don't got it.
Now what, look elsewhere or take something similar?
How about my time?
This could take hours, who pays for that?

All those other engines we might suggest may or may not be
the exact fit for that mower, it's a 20-year old thing and what do I
care if everything hooks up right so long I don't have to put it in,
so long someone else is going to spend the afternoon sweating it.

Sure, get the dealer to put it in...
Once a dealer gets a hold of it they will sell you THEIR engine.
And you might find one you order it and they put it in, but no guarantees.
Once oil and gas is added the instant return warranty is void.
Hopefully they do it right.
So if the dealer does spring for it he'll have learned the same lesson the rest of them already have,
we do NOT install other people's engines nor do we cover their warranties, even thou they're supposed to.

And yes I'm just the bad news guy and the naysayer so maybe it might not be so bad and it's probably super easy,
but then again it might not and I am telling you, if I had to do mine all over again I wouldn't go through the headaches.

siggeorge
10-29-2008, 12:00 PM
I am certain that I could easily handle a Kohler CV15 swap but, at the same time, you offer excellent advice regarding upgrading to a late model machine. I guess that I have been spoiled by the extraordinary service of this machine. I paid $800 for it 15 years ago and have only replaced the drive tires, belts and blades. Oh yeah, and I lubed and changed the oil each season when I thought of it. Now that I think of it, the left blade spindle seems a little out of sorts and probably needs rebuilding and the peerless transmission is original and...

Do you think I got my money out of this machine yet? :)

siggeorge
04-25-2009, 01:41 AM
OK, spring is here and I have removed the Kawi engine to repower with the Kohler CV15 engine (41582). The service manual refers to the kill switch but fails to mention which color wire goes to ground for the kill. Would it be the white or black wire? Additionally, the manual gives the bolt torque values for everything but the engine mount bolts. Any ideas on this?

Thanks for all responses.