PDA

View Full Version : Operated the Toro GrandStand today.

Grits
10-17-2008, 05:45 PM
I really wanted to be impressed. Sadly, I was not. More later. Gotta go.

Richard Martin
10-17-2008, 06:40 PM
Right on! More later!

jbell36
10-17-2008, 07:01 PM
really? that's it?

Grits
10-17-2008, 11:05 PM
Didn't have time to expand on comments last time.

I have been waiting for a long time, just like everyone else, to get my hands on the Grandstand. I was so excited, the day was finally here. The local distributor finally got a Grandstand in (along with the G3) to let the dealers in the area put their hands on it and drive them around.
First seeing the Grandstand in person was cool. But I thought it didn't look much more compact than your average Z. Sure, you can get a couple on a trailer as long as the rider platform is up. But with the platform down it is about the same length as the G3 that was sitting next to it. You would be standing where the engine would be, so the bushes you might back an engine into, you would be putting yourself in the same bushes. The hydros seemed jerky and extremely so on sidehills. The platform is comfortable and big. However, with the platform up it was kind of awkward to control as the control panel was rather high for a 5' 10" person. There is a separate control for ground speed (which I don't care for this feature on any mower that has it), but I don't know full groundspeed because on this particular mower this lever wasn't working. I think they set it at a certain point and disconnected it for demos...IDK. It doesn't come with the Donaldson filter because they said during testing it kept getting damage. All in all, I was really wanting to be impressed with this mower and I am really disappointed that I was not.....especially with the price tag. Rumor has it ( I did not hear this from the distributor, but from one of the dealers that were there) that dealer cost is well OVER $6000!