PDA

View Full Version : Retaining Wall around Culverts

AKC Ranch
10-17-2008, 05:53 PM
Hello everyone,

I am new to this site but have read some threads and there is some great information here.

My question is I need to install a retaining wall around (2) 3' culverts and I am new to retaining wall construction. I want to make it look like a stone wall. (see attached) I thought about using conrete block with verneer stone, but then I heard about Redi-Rock. So I contacted Redi-rock and they gave me a bid of 10k not installed. I felt like that was high. I think I should probably hire someone to do this for me, becuase I would rather get it right the first time, but what should this cost to install. (the lights will not be there day 1). Also if you guys know of anyone in the North Texas area that does this kind of construction and you would recommend them, please let me know.

Thanks,

shovelracer
10-17-2008, 07:53 PM
It will cost a lot more than 10K.

Mike33
10-17-2008, 09:53 PM
I agree, thats a pretty big project.
mike

AKC Ranch
10-17-2008, 10:15 PM
The 10k was only the materials, they said that is will cost around 18k with labor. Is that about cost what I am looking at?

Summit L & D
10-17-2008, 10:31 PM
That sounds a little on the cheap side. Don't forget you will have some expense for the base material and the geo grid (if you choose to use it with the block)...I don't think that was included in the 10k you had quoted for materials. 8k for labor....that sounds like a base price, figure a little more.

stuvecorp
10-18-2008, 10:29 AM
Looks like a cool project. Just looking at it I would think it should be a little more money wise. Don't know where you are but what about Versa-Lok? It could be Weathered block or maybe their Mosaic block style?

PatriotLandscape
10-18-2008, 01:54 PM
your looking at at least a 60k project not seeing the sight condition and could be more like 90k when all is done.

PlatinumLandCon
10-18-2008, 08:54 PM
your looking at at least a 60k project not seeing the sight condition and could be more like 90k when all is done.

That seems high!! I would say 25-40k, all depending on site and materials.

CALandscapes
10-18-2008, 09:43 PM
I'm thinking the wall portion of the job should be in the $20-25k range, depending on the type of block you use.

Judging from the price you were quoted for the Redi-Rock, I'd say you'll be looking at closer to $25k.

AKC Ranch
10-18-2008, 10:21 PM
Everyone,

Thanks for all the replies. Thats a little more than I wanted to spend right now (especially now with the economy), so we will see if I go forward with this project. I really think it would make our road much nicer and I would not have to worry about dirt washing out on heavy rains. Right now there is just dirt and a gravel driveway over the culverts.

Has anyone ever used Redi-Rock. Those concrete blocks are massive. I am just curious if anyone has any feedback. Is there any other blocks you guys would recommend?

Thanks,

kemmer
10-19-2008, 11:10 PM
Have you had this checked out by an engineer? water is very powerful, and if you don't have culverts that can handle the high flow you may see your expensive wall washing away again. also you sure you put plenty of vegetation in upstream of the culvert to reduce headward erosion.

AKC Ranch
10-19-2008, 11:11 PM
Here is my update.

I have decided to make the wall much smaller now only about 7' high and 25' long. I have also had another contractor look at it today and is going to quote me a concrete (steel re-inforced) wall with veneer stone. The only thing I am having quoted out is the wall and the stone on the wall.

Would you guys do a concrete wall in the application? I see it done all over the place but I obivous do not know if this will hold up and what is the maint. on this type of wall.

kemmer
10-19-2008, 11:12 PM
also what type of flow are we talking about? whats the width and depth?

AKC Ranch
10-19-2008, 11:15 PM
Kemmer,

I agree, I've learned that lesson. The culverts have been there for over 1 year and we've had some pretty heavy rain. The creek is a dry creek bed and only flows water when it rains. The culverts are 3' diameter and there is (2) of them. So we have been good in that respect.

We just want it to look a little nicer now, give it a bridge look for much less cost. So we have started looking at different applications to achieve this look.

Thanks for the heads up!!!!

stuvecorp
10-19-2008, 11:26 PM
I remember reading in one of the landscape magazines how they were building bridges out of block, can't remember which one. I know they were talking with a golf course how they wanted something like you are proposing. I think they used Versa-Lok block on that project. I have some landscape magazines laying around, will look through them.

stuvecorp
10-20-2008, 01:13 AM
Found the story, www.masoncontractors.org/newsandevents/masonryheadlines/headline.php?id=20080528095353

It is a master planned community not a golf course and it may be bigger scale but gives you an idea.

Reconwalls
10-20-2008, 11:39 AM
Check out recon wall systems. You probably can do the wall without any geo-grid. Even though it is over 7' tall.

AKC Ranch
10-24-2008, 09:06 PM
I got a quote today for a concrete steel re-inforced wall for only 5k. Then they said for about 1k they can face the wall with stone. I cut the wall down to 25' so that did save some cost. I am getting a third bid this week, and I have going to have Redi-Rock requote it on a 25' wall. I hope the price comes down.

mrusk
10-25-2008, 12:44 AM
I'll do it for 2500 but you need to act now!

PatriotLandscape
10-25-2008, 07:59 AM
sounds like you found a quality contractor.

AKC Ranch
10-25-2008, 08:45 AM
Does 5k sound high for (2) 25' concrete walls about 7' high. The contractor said he would start at about 2-3' and work his way down to 7'. I am going to get another bid so I will see where that comes in.

Summit L & D
10-25-2008, 01:25 PM
No, it sounds like you found the lowest bidder. I can imagine the guy will get to the end of the project and hit you with some "additional charges". I figured a wall that is roughly 25' long x 10' tall (including an average of 3' footer) x 12" thick. (I have no idea if that is enough footer or wall width...you need to get the wall engineered.) It probably would be a good idea to embed cabling into the walls to physically tie them together...so they don't start pitching out with the weight of vehicular traffic. So figuring the concrete alone will get you about 18 cu. yds. Then you've got excavation, framing, steel, and finish work. $1,000 to face it, are you buying the rock?

AKC Ranch
10-25-2008, 01:58 PM
Yeah, we are going to buy the stone. We are going to use verneer stone, that will match our house. I was thinking about using real stone, but I like the verneer stone. The guy that bid the 5k did my father-in-law's same type of bridge, and he held to the price he quoted, so I am going to sign a contract with him that it will not exceed 5k.

AKC Ranch
10-25-2008, 02:01 PM
Mrusk, I would love for you to do it for 2500, but I am in Texas so that would be a little far for you. :)

Summit L & D
10-25-2008, 02:45 PM
Mrusk, I would love for you to do it for 2500, but I am in Texas so that would be a little far for you. :)

What part of Texas are you located?

AKC Ranch
10-25-2008, 04:04 PM
We are located in Collinsville which is about 50 miles north of Dallas.

PatriotLandscape
10-25-2008, 04:44 PM
you are crazy/stupid for not having it engineered. what if it fails when someone is driving over it?

Just because he may have done something similar before does not mean you will get the same result.

hire an engineer.

PatriotLandscape
10-25-2008, 04:46 PM
Yeah, we are going to buy the stone. We are going to use verneer stone, that will match our house. I was thinking about using real stone, but I like the verneer stone. The guy that bid the 5k did my father-in-law's same type of bridge, and he held to the price he quoted, so I am going to sign a contract with him that it will not exceed 5k.

So if he quoted it incorrectly you won't mind when he uses inferioir backfill because he underbid the job? as long as you won't have to pay more.

Summit L & D
10-25-2008, 11:29 PM
We are located in Collinsville which is about 50 miles north of Dallas.

There are several companies here on this site that appear to be very reputable and qualified to assist you in your project. Do a little search and you should be able to find them.

AKC Ranch
10-26-2008, 10:35 AM
PatriotLandscape,

Thanks for the concern. I think you are not understanding what I am doing. I have a earthen bridge where there is about 6' of dirt and 6" of gravel on top of (2) 3' culverts. This has been there for over 1 year and we've had no problems. The retaining wall is there to make the dirt and gravel look more like a bridge. The retaining wall will start at 2' and work down to 7'. The culverts are about 2 foot longer than were the dirt stops now, we did this becuase we knew we would put in some type of wall to make it look like a bridge. Yes the wall will hold some pressure of whats behind it but it if fails NO ONE will be hurt except for my wallet. The wall would fall but the dirt and gravel would still be there.

I agree that the concrete wall has a better chance of giving way then the Redi-Rock. The Redi-Rock guy said that we do not need a geo-grid with this type of installation. I want to use this type of installation but the cost has made me look at other ways.

PatriotLandscape
10-27-2008, 07:55 AM
the problem is that you will be creating a surcharge behind each wall and without them being tied together they will push away in time.

could be 5 years could be 15 but it will happen.