PDA

View Full Version : Temp. Workers

Green Acres
12-27-1999, 11:08 AM
Hi how is everyone doing? I was wondering if anyone has ever used temp workers? What are some of the advantages and disadvantages? I think that it would be okay because I could just use them when I need them. Also I'm just starting out and was thinking that a temp worker might be cheaper since you don't have to pay taxes or insurance on them since it is covered by them temp agency. Any info will be greatly appriecitated. Thanks

cantoo
12-27-1999, 12:04 PM
We use temp workers in the factory that I work in. It works okay as long as the job is pretty straight forward, but I don't think you would want a temp driving your $8000 mower or new truck. We have them doing repetive jobs and dangerous tools because we don't want anyone hurt or machinery broken by someone who might not be here the next day. There are companies who specialize in experienced workers but they are pretty expensive per hour.

NewellMowingCo
12-27-1999, 12:14 PM
I have used temp agencies in the past. I like the idea of being able to &quot;order&quot; a worker and usually have one within a day or two. Sometimes, even within hours. Also, if you do not like the worker or he/she is not working out for some reason you can always get a new one from the temp agency. But remember, this goes both ways.<br>My company always contracts with at least two different temp agencies. The reason for this is because sometimes one agency will not be able to fill your order as soon as the other can. Plus, temp agencies are very competitive when it comes to finding employees for you. If they know they are competing for your business they will more then likely find you a worker faster.<br>As far as taxes and workers comp, you do pay for these along with a fee or mark up for using the service. For example, I paid a worker $8.00 per hour and it cost me $12.49 per hour using the temp agency. Although it is a little more expensive using a temp agency, it sure is a lot less of a headache for the most part.<p>----------<br>&quot;Your Grass Is Always Greener With The Newell Mowing Co., Inc.&quot;<br>

jeffclc
12-27-1999, 02:16 PM
I have used temp. labor in the past. The workers have always been on time, and willing to work. They are not by any means experienced in the trade, but are good for heavy and dirty work. I only use them in an assitant role, never giving them any responsibilities. You also have to supervise them fairly closely, and cannot leave them alone. <p>The biggest plus is that if you need help tommorow, you can get it. If you have a big job coming up, and need extra hepl, it is there. Try that with hiring regular employees. <p>I pay around $11.00 per hour, with a four hour minimum per person. This is not all that bad, as it includes all payroll costs, and workers compensation. <p>Are temp workers the awnser for your every day needs? Probally not. They are good for that big job, or that time that you are behind schedule, or are very busy.<p>The company that I deal with, Labor Ready, had told me once that some of the temp. workers are hired directly by some of the contractors. This can be a great way to screen potential employees with no strings attached. <p>The one thing that I have found to be common in all the temp. employees is the fact that they like to get paid at the end of each day. For the temp. agency, that is fine, but for me, that is a big pain.

cantoo
12-27-1999, 03:12 PM
Jeff: that's what we use the temp agency for, screening new full time employees. We have hired about 20 guys that way and only 2 have worked out so far. We pay the agency a set rate every two weeks and they pay the workers by the day or by the week. The agency looks after all costs, unemployment, workers comp, etc medical.

peacedog
12-28-1999, 01:00 PM
We've used a couple of different temp agencies and we had bad luck with both of them. The workers didn't want to be there and most often were in no condition to run equipment. <p>We put up with it for a week, then dropped it like a hot rock.<p>----------<br>Blake<br>Ferta-Lawn

kutnkru
03-04-2001, 11:37 PM
If we are awarded a bid that we submitted we will need to hire temp employees in addition to our full time staff to complete all aspects of this proposal.

They will be primarily:
removing trash from turf areas,
trim mowing(21 in.),
mulch laborers,
weeding ornamental beds,
etc.

I wanted to know how you guys contract or promote labor for these types of conditions. We are talking anywhere from 4-6 additional employees once a week.

Thanks for the input.
Kris

Ocutter
03-05-2001, 08:12 AM
I used to work for a temp agency about ten yrs ago. I know that if the company liked the worker, they could buy out the contract for that person. Does anyone know if that is still in effect or how much it costs to do this. I might give it a try this yr.

tpirobert
03-05-2001, 09:34 AM
When I looked into temp agencies in my area they mostly said no thank you. Only one I know of here(NC) is Labor Ready. Others just don't want to supply to our industry. Labor Ready said they would charge me $10/hr per worker. If the guy or gal sucks within first couple hours, I send away and don't pay. They do require "contact" which says I can hire after a year. Labor Ready does all taxes, workers comp. etc.. I may try them out this year, as I am starting season out solo for first time in about 6 years. All of this said, when I drive by the temp office it looks like the drunk tank just let out! I know, don't judge a book by the cover and give a guy a chance.

kutnkru
03-05-2001, 10:07 AM
Robert

We too have a labor ready and yes their applicants usually look like they eat from the soup kitchen as well. We have several agencies with which to choose from who have applicants fill out the pertinent information, so at least they can all read. They hire out to professional offices for sick leave matters and to industries when they have a 6 month rush and the like.

I believe that they have some sort of a clause where after 90 days I believe its a $500 finders fee if you wish to keep the employees. Not to say that I for cheating Uncle Sam, but I know of contractors who will work out a deal with qualified applicants to work under the table to avoid the costs of their services.

Kris

65hoss
03-05-2001, 11:02 AM
There is a temp agency that leaves a message on my answering machine several times a year. I always delete it. I may wish I had the number in a few weeks.

awm
03-05-2001, 02:19 PM
I can see big operations using temps to load unload and whatver.But im a solo.I would never hand one a trimmer much less a mower.If some guys are getting away with that you know something I don t.
Son is ins. adjuster.He recently handled a claim where a LCO sent one out to do a simple strait up an down mow .Hes not suppose to do nothing else.He mows discharging into the side of this long building.Yep knocked little holes in the siding all theway down.Son said they had to completly reside whole building. PILE O MONEY.
They havnt found temp yet. GUESS THEY WANTED TO TALK A RAISE OR SOMETHING LOL.

kutnkru
03-05-2001, 02:35 PM
AWM

Those are definitely some good points to keep in mind when we are looking into this.

About the only time I would use a temp for shearing would be to follow along behind one of our guys for clean-up detail.

As far as them using the mowers are concerned, I only have mulching mowers where they are concerned, so i am hopeing this will not become an issue.

And NO they would NEVER be able to run a string trimmer. I might contemplate a stick edger depending on the applicant in question.

Kris