PDA

View Full Version : Problem Starting A Wright Stander

jandreau
10-17-2008, 08:07 PM
I have a wright stander and it's only a few months old with less than 50 hours on it. Today I went to start it and it wouldn't turn over it acted like the battery was dead or the brake was off, but I checked both and neither was the problem. does any one know if there is a way of bypassing the safety switches to check to see if they are the problem?

olde_blue
10-18-2008, 09:25 AM
My Stander will start with the brake on or off. It doesn't have an electric switch on the brake, only on the operator platform.

Have you tried jumping a wire directly from the positive battery terminal to the starter solenoid (positive terminal)? I've never done this on a kawasaki, but I did it to start a kohler a few times to start a mower before I tracked down the problem to a bad ignition switch. Watch out for sparks!

pugs
10-20-2008, 04:15 PM
What stander do you have? A rapid height would require the brake to be on I think since it probably shares the wiring harness with Sentar sports and I know they need the brake on. But a regular stander will start with the brake on/off and it will start if you are on/off the platform...makes no difference.

Easiest thing to do is check the fuses. If the main one that powers the key switch is blown you wont have any power getting to the switch and thus no power coming out the other end at the solenoid.

Other than that get the wiring diagram and start checking where you have voltage at...follow it from the battery through the switches all the way to the solenoid.

WrightCommercial
10-21-2008, 10:16 AM
jandreau,

Pugs is correct, check battery voltage, fuses and trace power to solenoid. My bet is the solenoid has gone bad. The low hours are a concern but the solenoid is a purchased part and may have been faulty. Quickest check is to jump the solenoid, if the starter engages, bring the unit to your local Wright dealer and they will replace the solenoid under warranty. With it being such a new unit I would recommend having a dealer take a look at it regardless.

Best regards
Wright Service Dept.

Bagit
10-21-2008, 05:40 PM
I have a wright stander and it's only a few months old with less than 50 hours on it. Today I went to start it and it wouldn't turn over it acted like the battery was dead or the brake was off, but I checked both and neither was the problem. does any one know if there is a way of bypassing the safety switches to check to see if they are the problem?

I had exactly the same problem one time. A little piece of debri lodged were the brake safty engagement happens. This area is between the hydro pumps.