PDA

View Full Version : Feedback on Striping Kits

trex2693
10-17-2008, 09:54 PM
In the market for a striping kit. I've checked out the BigLeagueLawns CheckMate option, the rubber pieces that attach to the rear of the deck, chains, the SCAG Tiger Striper as well as a few others.

So my question is: What's the best way to go for a ZTR?

Thanks

greenred
10-17-2008, 10:01 PM
Well I have a Exmark Turf Tracer Walk Behind with the same deck they put on many of their ZTR's. It has their stripe kit option which is a metal roller. It leaves some amazing stripes.

Nosmo
10-18-2008, 05:26 AM
Where are you located ? Are you up north, south or ? A lot depends on the type of grass you'll be cutting.

Do a search on striping and your are gonna get plenty of other people's ideas on what they use. There are factory installed rollers (my tank has them) some folks use flaps or chains.

I use the factory roller and use a heavy flap on the back of the mower too. In my area Bermuda is the predominant grass.

Nosmo

trex2693
10-19-2008, 01:10 PM
Where are you located ? Are you up north, south or ? A lot depends on the type of grass you'll be cutting.

Do a search on striping and your are gonna get plenty of other people's ideas on what they use. There are factory installed rollers (my tank has them) some folks use flaps or chains.

I use the factory roller and use a heavy flap on the back of the mower too. In my area Bermuda is the predominant grass.

Nosmo

I'm in the North, NY to be exact. I did a search and got some hits like the flaps, chains and even the rollers. I like the roller idea as it seems like the least in resistance. Just not sure as to which roller maybe the best.

JayD
10-19-2008, 02:28 PM
Well I have a Exmark Turf Tracer Walk Behind with the same deck they put on many of their ZTR's. It has their stripe kit option which is a metal roller. It leaves some amazing stripes.

Hey greenred, Does that kit get in the way if you back up onto curbs? I know once or twice I have knocked off the black plastic strip on mine backing up onto them.

greenred
10-19-2008, 05:10 PM
Hey greenred, Does that kit get in the way if you back up onto curbs? I know once or twice I have knocked off the black plastic strip on mine backing up onto them.

Well to tell you the truth I never approached curbs that way. Im a big guy and I would use my weight to push on the back end lifting the front end off the ground and set the front end on top of the curve. Then I would let the rear wheels walk over the curve. But the way I did it the roller never got in the way. It might rub, but that didnt cause a problem cause the deck would just raise up on its own and the roller was attached to the back of the deck. I found the Exmark roller to be very well built and thought out design.

I cant see going backwards to be anymore of a problem for the roller then going forwards.

ALC-GregH
10-19-2008, 05:15 PM
I think the key to striping is in the pitch of the deck and the length of the grass. A kit will help make it last longer.

foreplease
10-19-2008, 05:32 PM
My Toro Z is too old to be retrofitted with their roller kit. The local American Legion owns a Toro 62 Z that I encouraged them to order with the rubber "striping kit." It did not make a great deal of difference in appearance. On that particular mower and field, keeping sharp blades on it makes a bigger difference. We removed the rubber strip after two seasons because I felt it impeded airflow through the deck and left more clippings clumped on the surface. It is an unusual field: lies in a flood plain and grows very quickly.

I would buy the roller kit for my own Z tomorrow if it could be easily retrofit. It's on my must have list for the next machine. Between the airflow problem, wear on the rubber strip, and lack of adjustment, I donít think they are a good way to go.

trex2693
10-19-2008, 08:37 PM
I seen a metal roller on craigs list for a Toro. Was wondering if it could be retrofitted to fit other ztr's.

I like the roller option better then the rubber flap. Anyone use the CheckMate striping kit or another roller system on there ztr?

foreplease
10-19-2008, 10:16 PM
I seen a metal roller on craigs list for a Toro. Was wondering if it could be retrofitted to fit other ztr's.

My dealer made some calls about two weeks ago. I think 2004 and newer is the cutoff date for the roller kits we looked at. Now I don't remember what that was. I get a pretty good looking stripe without it but am always interested in doing a little bit better.

greenred
10-20-2008, 12:19 AM
I think the key to striping is in the pitch of the deck and the length of the grass. A kit will help make it last longer.

What is the typical pitch you should aim for?

Kennedy Landscaping
10-20-2008, 12:21 AM
Build your own if you can manage. Much cheaper than paying $150.00 for something that you could've done the exact same for $25.00 and some time

Runner
10-20-2008, 01:27 AM
Exactly. I have the original roller setup by York sheet metal (all stainless). The ones that were made for the Exmarks before Exmark took on a different source. And while I love this roller, and think that it does a good job and all, if I was to do it again, I would go with the home made chain setup off the back. Dragging chains seems to be the most effective way to produce the high contrast stripes at a reasonable cost. Not only that, and I've discussed this further in other threads, but you can do things with chains that you could never do with rollers. (On the other hand, the solid roller across the back of the deck DOES keep it from scalping at the crests of berms and hills). Some of the nicest striping jobs I've ever seen came from dragging chains.

ALC-GregH
10-20-2008, 07:39 AM
What is the typical pitch you should aim for?

I try not to exceed 1/4 on 60in decks or smaller.