PDA

View Full Version : Paperwork suggestions help!!!!!!!

Construct'O
10-17-2008, 10:07 PM
It has been raining so trying to get paperwork done that never ends seems like.Not a good deal since i'm old first off :) single,and the operation is basicly just me when it comes to getting everything done.

Do have three workers,for the work.

My concern is! did i say i'm old!!!!!!!! and single.I have a daughter who lives 150 miles away and doesn't have a clue what is going on.If something would happen to me she would just be out.

Like now have been working on big job since spring(same guy) and the bill is huge and getting bigger since the time it is taking and him adding more work.

It is a goverment cost share job ,so have to be done before he gets money and he takes out a loan.

One problem is that it is more complicated,because of all the different things i'm doing.

Anyway,just worry about the what if ? and my daughter not knowing who i have worked for,time spent,prices of work,bills and loans that i have and money that is on the books.

I'm calling her tonight to get her to come up and go over somethings as soon as possible.I feel good other then at my age but things can change over night sometimes :cry:

So any ideas????? and have any of you the same problems being single and trying to run lets say,a one man busniess.:usflag:

P.S. Also suggestion on the house cleaning,would be helpful also ,the dirt is getting really bad and the rest i can do ,but dusting is one that never seems to end or gets done:rolleyes:

CAT powered
10-17-2008, 10:14 PM
Idea: Stop being single. That sounds like it would solve your cleaning/paperwork problem. My wife does all my invoices for me in Excel spreadsheets.

The only issue is that although a woman takes away 1 set of problems it creates another new and different set of problems.

P.Services
10-17-2008, 10:18 PM
in short you need to take the biz/numbers out of your head and put them on paper. anything no matter how crude is better then nothing.

Construct'O
10-17-2008, 10:35 PM
Idea: Stop being single. That sounds like it would solve your cleaning/paperwork problem. My wife does all my invoices for me in Excel spreadsheets.

The only issue is that although a woman takes away 1 set of problems it creates another new and different set of problems.

Last one of them i had cost me more then i care to remember:rolleyes:

RockSet N' Grade
10-17-2008, 10:45 PM
Estate planning is better to do sooner than later. Best advise I could give is sit down with an attorney, get all the papers drawn up so your daughter gets your assets, bank accounts, etc. seamlessly. Very easy to do. Since we are in the same boat age wise, something to consider is a living will......in a nutshell, if you get ill or become veggie like they do not keep you on a machine or go to heroic measures to keep you alive......leaves your loved ones with something other than huge unpaid medical expenses. Constructo, we are doing the same thing......getting our "house" in order. That is just smart business for the ones you love. NOW, on the other hand, since you are crappy at book work (like me) hire a book keeper and be done with it.....As for house cleaning, call a maid service to come in and give the place a once over......that will make you feel good and it doesn't cost as much as a wife or divorce or both!!!

Construct'O
10-17-2008, 10:48 PM
in short you need to take the biz/numbers out of your head and put them on paper. anything no matter how crude is better then nothing.

I keep a log of things,but if your not into what is going on(like daughter,family)then it is confusing.Because of drawing of maps of my drainage tile lines and so fore.Not that simple like stated.

Just got done drawing maps and had 10 pages of maps and that consisted of about 50,000 feet of tile installed,just on this job alone.

Cat power the idea at least of using the computer to store things is a good one.Just need to get a better up to date computer ,since mine is close to 10 years old it is pretty short on memory,like it's owner.:)

I have 2 sisters,but they don't have time and are older then me and their short on memory also:usflag:

CAT powered
10-17-2008, 11:01 PM
Constructo if you really want to invest in a good computer I'd say you'll run yourself close to 1,000 dollars or so. Don't just pick up the run of the mill junker at Circuit City or something like that. My wife's IT friend helped us after we made that mistake once. For something like bills you don't need a high powered machine. You will probably want a lot of memory so I would select the largest hard drive you can while staying in budget as well as a decent processor. If you are going to run Vista have at least 2 gigabytes of RAM. If you can still get XP then you will be ok with less. Vista just eats up a lot of RAM for normal operation.

Construct'O
10-17-2008, 11:10 PM
Estate planning is better to do sooner than later. Best advise I could give is sit down with an attorney, get all the papers drawn up so your daughter gets your assets, bank accounts, etc. seamlessly. Very easy to do. Since we are in the same boat age wise, something to consider is a living will......in a nutshell, if you get ill or become veggie like they do not keep you on a machine or go to heroic measures to keep you alive......leaves your loved ones with something other than huge unpaid medical expenses. Constructo, we are doing the same thing......getting our "house" in order. That is just smart business for the ones you love. NOW, on the other hand, since you are crappy at book work (like me) hire a book keeper and be done with it.....As for house cleaning, call a maid service to come in and give the place a once over......that will make you feel good and it doesn't cost as much as a wife or divorce or both!!!

Rock i have the estate plan thing in place its mainly the bus and as far as house cleaning i have thought of that ,just been working daylight to dark all year and it has been a real bear with floods and so fore.

Tired when i get home and just want to relax before the next day starts.

I have work then i'll ever get done ,but work keeps me sane,as bad as it get sometimes.It's about all i have left that i really can get into.

I have a bookeeper for taxes and that stuff ,again its just my bus as in getting the billing and things logged down so some one can find them.Guess could at least get them made out and take copies to bookeeper to have, at least for the account recievable thing if something would happen.

The drawing of the maps and not being on the jobs and actually understanding where the work is located on the farms that i work on would be hard without the experience of actually doing the work.I one guy that i'm working has me working on 5 different ones alone.

My new helpers are really taking off as far as taking on more responsiblitys.They measure and draw rough maps now ,so they would be able to help some .I keep truning move over to them,but it takes time,or at least for me.

Thanks for the replys:usflag:

Construct'O
10-17-2008, 11:18 PM
Constructo if you really want to invest in a good computer I'd say you'll run yourself close to 1,000 dollars or so. Don't just pick up the run of the mill junker at Circuit City or something like that. My wife's IT friend helped us after we made that mistake once. For something like bills you don't need a high powered machine. You will probably want a lot of memory so I would select the largest hard drive you can while staying in budget as well as a decent processor. If you are going to run Vista have at least 2 gigabytes of RAM. If you can still get XP then you will be ok with less. Vista just eats up a lot of RAM for normal operation.

Would wether go with xp,but could handle the Vista with a little practice.Would need a few classes or someone to get me started at least.

Winter project this year!

What are some of the other business software you have and use.?

How about some of you other guys as far as using your computer and doing it yourself and not someone else doing it for you?????:usflag:

dozerman21
10-17-2008, 11:19 PM
Construct'O- I would also hire a bookkeeper and have everything stored on a computer as well. It wouldn't hurt to have written documents as backup. If your computer is old, I would upgrade to something newer... they get outdated fast. While you're at it, kick the old dial up to the curb!:waving: We need more pictures...:laugh:

As for the cleaning, that's easy. French maid. ("Made" in the USA):usflag:

Construct'O
10-17-2008, 11:28 PM
Construct'O- I would also hire a bookkeeper and have everything stored on a computer as well. It wouldn't hurt to have written documents as backup. If your computer is old, I would upgrade to something newer... they get outdated fast. While you're at it, kick the old dial up to the curb!:waving: We need more pictures...:laugh:

As for the cleaning, that's easy. French maid. ("Made" in the USA):usflag:

Well the maid thing needs to happen,just for house cleaning only!!!!! Just hard to get someone that will travel out into the country for hosue cleaning.

The computer, well' Christmas is coming up:)

Direct TV and high speed internet is next.Just hard to come by when you live in the boonys:laugh:

As far as picture will be posting my two new work machines soon.Might not have enough cash for the cleaning lady or the puter:laugh::usflag:

bobcatuser
10-18-2008, 09:03 PM
Buy a cheap laptop and install QuickBooks on it, you can do the invoicing yourself then leave it with your bookkeeper to do anything else that is needed.

I use Quick books for contractors itís user friendly and fast once the customer info is saved. Some of the features I like the most is, being able to print Cheques , e-mail invoices, download bank or credit card statements and track sales and expenses.

bobcat_ron
10-18-2008, 10:10 PM
I shove all my papers into envelopes and throw them at the accountant every 3 months, it's worked great for me, only 2 requests from WCB and 1 near audit from the tax man, then I take a dump whenever I see his bill.
I have always kept my business as simple as possible, maintain a healthy 4 figure number in my bank account, track future expenses, pay the bills on time and stay away from loose women and curry.

YardPro
10-19-2008, 01:49 PM
why don't you drop a few hundred bucks on quickbooks.....??

great accounting software, easy to use, and any accountant can set you up in the program.