PDA

View Full Version : 289c

Mini man
10-18-2008, 12:23 AM
Looking for a machine for septic system installs.
I am going to buy a small dozer or 289C...any opinions?
Anyone know how the 6 way blade works with the tracked machine compared to dozer?
Thanks
:canadaflag:

CAT powered
10-18-2008, 01:08 AM
I did a LOT of septic system jobs 2 or 3 years ago. Probably 2 or 3 dozen a year. I always did them with a Link-Belt 2700 and a Dresser TD7.

That is probably the equivalent of a CAT 315 or so and a D3 or D4. A MTL/CTL would be good for doing finish work if you aren't bringing in screened topsoil to finish off. If you go with a MTL or a CTL you should get a rockhound to do your finish work. They do an awesome job of picking up any rocks from fist sized down and sometimes they can get bigger ones as well.

bobcat_ron
10-18-2008, 11:50 AM
Buy a small dozer, a blade on a CTL isn't the best for hard packed material, they are better for finish grade. A skid steer is designed to haul and dig, whereas a dozer is designed to push.
Another option is a blade runner excavator from Kobelco, excavator and a dedicated dozer drive system and blade.

stuvecorp
10-18-2008, 12:13 PM
Looking for a machine for septic system installs.
I am going to buy a small dozer or 289C...any opinions?
Anyone know how the 6 way blade works with the tracked machine compared to dozer?
Thanks
:canadaflag:

You dig with your excavator right? I would say something like a 440/450 Case(thats what I like) with steel tracks or VTS would be fine, your not doing mass excavating. I would skip the dozer blade, regular bucket or an 4n1 bucket. A skid can do way more than some think and be much less money(purchase and maintenance).

ksss
10-18-2008, 02:51 PM
Realizing spetic systems are different all over the country. Why a dozer? We install spetics and even on the commercial systems, I have never needed a dozer. I dig them with a 12K mini or a 160 if it happens to be on site (but I would never mob in for a septic) and backfill will mini or skid steer as appropriate (depending on depth of infiltrators).

Gravel Rat
10-18-2008, 03:21 PM
I never heard of using a dozer to put a septic system in. A mini excavator is used anything from a 12,000 to a PC78 sized machine.

murray83
10-18-2008, 05:41 PM
Same here a backhoe or excavator unless its for grading the field and surrounding area after but you can still do all the system with an excavator.

Dirt Digger2
10-18-2008, 10:23 PM
we do allllll our septic installs with a backhoe (except the ones that are ridiculously larger then we use a t-hoe)....backhoes are nice because if you can't get your stone to the trenches you have a nice big bucket to carry with

bobcatuser
10-18-2008, 10:43 PM
I have a 8í blade for my T320. It has 92 HP and weighs close to 12,000 LBS with the blade, so itís comparable to a small dozer. The dozer will have a more durable undercarriage which means lower operating costs but itís not as versatile as a CTL.

This is a short YouTube video of my machine with the blade.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBOvkJsCsvs

wanabe
10-18-2008, 10:49 PM
Man that is one b@ss ctl pushing a blade! But I don't think it will work for a septic install that well. How are you going to dig the laterals with a CTL? I think a TLB would work much better for somenthing like this.

Mini man
10-19-2008, 12:05 AM
Tried out the 289c with the 6 way dozer blade but I sure cant hold a grade like that Bob Cat on you tube!
What is the trick?
I am good with a dozer thou?

bobcatuser
10-19-2008, 12:19 AM
Tried out the 289c with the 6 way dozer blade but I sure cant hold a grade like that Bob Cat on you tube!
What is the trick?
I am good with a dozer thou?

There is no trick, Bobcat just sells a better 6 way blade than others. It has flat bar runners (like a snow plow) to make adjustments on the cut, curl the blade to go deeper. Having the runners makes a big difference on how effective the blade works. Working in granular material makes a difference to get the feel for it.

Mini man
10-19-2008, 12:35 AM
I looked @ the Bobcat blade just now and dont see alot of difference?
I was trying to grade in a sandpit where I was demoing it...

stuvecorp
10-19-2008, 01:28 PM
Why do you want the dozer blade?

bobcat_ron
10-19-2008, 01:40 PM
It takes time to be as smooth with a dozer blade, even getting on a regular dozer can be hard after the first few "bunny hops" you make.
The best advice I gave Bobcatuser was to use the loader to raise and lower the blade as you make adjustments, the bucket curl is too fast and it changes the pitch of the blade.

bobcatuser
10-20-2008, 01:02 AM
It takes time to be as smooth with a dozer blade, even getting on a regular dozer can be hard after the first few "bunny hops" you make.
The best advice I gave Bobcatuser was to use the loader to raise and lower the blade as you make adjustments, the bucket curl is too fast and it changes the pitch of the blade.

The curl actually works better for making depth adjustments and that was good advice.

If you had pilot controls, you could make finer adjustments just by curling the Bob-tach in, DON'T use the loader, the loader lifts faster and the first 2" of lift on any Vertical Path loader off the frame is tough, even when un-loaded.
Dozer's blades pivot up and down like the Bob-tach frame does, that's must easier to fine tune depth and height as you go, but you have foot pedals, so it's really hard to get it just right.

Now on the other hand, if you had a Cat CTL/MTL, with the AMICS in it, you could really play around with the controls.

That power rake sounds interesting. I don't have any custom implements, but given the time I would like to build some.

Today I spent 7 hrs cutting and piling compacted clay material mixed with road grindings. What I found was keeping the blade down like Ron mentioned and using the curl to control the depth works best. The blade has adjustable guides (like a snowplow but bigger) when you curl back the guides contact the ground behind the blade, raising the cutting edge.

Working in granular material this blade is extremely accurate, probably 3x faster than using a 4in1 bucket for grading work.

oakhillslandscaping
10-20-2008, 08:22 AM
we used to do close septic systems and we used a link belt 2650 with a power tilt wrist and a 48" spade bucket and rendered a dozer pointless the contractor we subbed out to a lot had a dozer and got rid of it because he had two excavators with wrists

Dirt Digger2
10-20-2008, 09:37 AM
you don't really need anything with a blade when you are doing new construction...because the guy doing the lot finish grade will have one. Thats the great thing about new construction is you just have to push dirt into a hole and make it look half ass nice...any extra dirt you leave in a big pile and let the finish grade guy push it where he wants it

BIGBEN2004
10-21-2008, 06:07 AM
you don't really need anything with a blade when you are doing new construction...because the guy doing the lot finish grade will have one. Thats the great thing about new construction is you just have to push dirt into a hole and make it look half ass nice...any extra dirt you leave in a big pile and let the finish grade guy push it where he wants it

And also as long as the builder doesn't run short on money usually things are done so fast that their is no time for weeds to start to grow. Nice weed free dirt always makes things allot nicer to grade with.:)