PDA

View Full Version : 2 stroke or 4 stroke

Wittapp
10-18-2008, 10:55 AM
Thinking about getting a new blower next season. I have not had any experience with the 4 stroke blowers or trimmers. The research that I have done seems to indicate that 2 stroke is still the way to go. Pros and cons ?

Dave in Dayton

Pennington Lawncare
10-18-2008, 11:40 AM
Weight. The 4 stroke engine will be significantly heavier. Reliability. The 4 stroke has many more internal moving parts and more chances for something to go wrong. Service. A 4 stroke will require valve adjustments and other adjustments at specified intervals. Price. 4 stroke powered equipment usually costs more.

The only advantage a 4 stroke has over a 2 stroke is lower emissions and the only disadvantage to a 2 stroke is having to mix the gas and oil and cost of that oil.

I bought a 4 stroke trimmer back before I got into mowing and that thing was very heavy and was almost glad when someone stole it from the inlaws lake house. I had left it up there for some minor trimming. That reminds me, that trimmer would turn fairly high rpm but, it took it a few seconds for it to rev up but, a 2 stroke's engine revs much faster.

DLAWNS
10-18-2008, 11:46 AM
I would definitely go with a 2 stroke. Just my opinion.

Turf Dawg
10-18-2008, 11:51 AM
I have 3 backpack blowers. Echo 651, Redmax 7001 and Stihl 600. The echo is the heaviest and not quit as strong as the other two. The one that gets grabbed most of the time is the stihl, it is the most comfortable to use and has the most power. The most dependable one is the redmax hands down. The redmax has never given one problem while the stihl eats ignition coils and also had problems with the fuel vent one time. I have heard people say they have trouble with the 4mix things , but out of the trimmers-eadgers-blowers the only problem I've had is the blower coil. When I need to replace blowers I am going to check out the big Dolmar/Robin I have heard great reviews from one of the cities that have swiched to them.

Lazer_Z
10-18-2008, 04:28 PM
Weight. The 4 stroke engine will be significantly heavier. Reliability. The 4 stroke has many more internal moving parts and more chances for something to go wrong. Service. A 4 stroke will require valve adjustments and other adjustments at specified intervals. Price. 4 stroke powered equipment usually costs more.

The only advantage a 4 stroke has over a 2 stroke is lower emissions and the only disadvantage to a 2 stroke is having to mix the gas and oil and cost of that oil.

I bought a 4 stroke trimmer back before I got into mowing and that thing was very heavy and was almost glad when someone stole it from the inlaws lake house. I had left it up there for some minor trimming. That reminds me, that trimmer would turn fairly high rpm but, it took it a few seconds for it to rev up but, a 2 stroke's engine revs much faster.Not quite the only Pro with the emissions, the power and torque are also a pro. Now about the gas/oil mixing, Stihl (4Mix) and Shindaiwa (C4) both use a gas oil mixture so you don't have to worry about changing the oil in your trimmer or blower.

Yes, Stihl does state that you should have the valves adjusted after the first 100hrs or so, but some guys have had machines for years and have never had the valves adjusted and the machines are being used daily with no problems.

bbahun
10-18-2008, 06:32 PM
I would go with the 2-stroke. I am very impressed with the echo PB-755. If you go with a 4-stroke look at Dolmar. I saw both of these at a dealer in New Carlisle, Oh. They both look very well made and the echo comes with a 5 yr. warranty.

Richard Martin
10-18-2008, 08:53 PM
Let me add that the 4 stroke blowers tend to be lighter than their 2 stroke counterparts. I have a Stihl BR600 and I'm very happy with it. I've had it so long I'm going to have to change the fuel hoses this winter.

CleanCutProLawn
10-18-2008, 08:57 PM
I have a 4mix Stihl trimmer and love it, can operate at much lower rpms so its a lot quieter. If you use the strap weight shouldn't be an issue.

Elite Outdoor
10-18-2008, 11:53 PM
My only experience with a 4-sroke is with a stihl pole saw that I own. It's hard to keep it ideling on cold days, and it must be at full throttle to cut anything worth a darn. Also takes a couple of seconds for the engine to rev up. But it hardly uses any gas at all which is very nice. If it was me I would stay away from the 4-srokes for now.

David Gretzmier
10-18-2008, 11:57 PM
the stihl br600 is a 4mix, and it is lighter, quieter and more powerful than other blowers. I am not so sure about weed trimmers, but I have experience with the blower.

freshprince94
10-19-2008, 12:02 AM
I have Stihl 4 mix trimmers, edgers, and hedge trimmers and love them. Way better than my 2 cycle Echo equipment which I sold off. They have great power, aren't too heavy, and have amazing torque.

I have no idea on the 4 cycle blowers, I have heard great things about them but went with a Stihl 2 cycle to save a little $$$.

ozd12005
10-19-2008, 09:28 AM
I went with the Makita 4 stroke blower this season and love it. Starts on the first pull and has plenty of power

World’s Lightest Commercial 4-Stroke Blower
Powerful 24.5 cc. commercial duty engine
Large 17.7 oz. fuel tank for longer run time
Quick start - low compression engine for easy starting
Lightweight (9.8 lbs.) for easy maneuverability
Improved exhaust emissions are EPA Phase II compliant while maintaining power and performance
Improved configuration for easier refueling and maintenance

bbahun
10-19-2008, 10:01 AM
My only problem with the stihl 4Mix is that you still have to mix the oil and gas. If you are going to have to do that, than get a 2 stroke blower. They are lighter, have less moving parts, and usually runn a little higher RPM. If you want a 4 Stroke get a true 4 stroke like the Dolmar. No oil and gas mix. The Makita in the post above is made by Dolmar for Makita.

Lazer_Z
10-19-2008, 10:15 AM
My only problem with the stihl 4Mix is that you still have to mix the oil and gas. If you are going to have to do that, than get a 2 stroke blower. They are lighter, have less moving parts, and usually runn a little higher RPM. If you want a 4 Stroke get a true 4 stroke like the Dolmar. No oil and gas mix. The Makita in the post above is made by Dolmar for Makita. But, You are doing double maintenance on a machine that was first designed to be a simple product. I'd go back to 2cycle before I'd change the oil in a back pack blower or trimmer.

BR600 http://www.stihldealer.net/productdetails-dealer-003979-prodid-464-toplvl-9-catid-9-subcat-9-catprods-52.aspx

The only place that the Makita/Dolmar blower beats the Stihl is weight, other than that the Stihl blows it away.

Richard Martin
10-19-2008, 02:08 PM
My only problem with the stihl 4Mix is that you still have to mix the oil and gas. If you are going to have to do that, than get a 2 stroke blower. They are lighter, have less moving parts, and usually runn a little higher RPM.

The Stihl BR600 is lighter than any other blower in it's class. It doesn't matter how many RPM the blower turns, it's what you can do with the blower that counts.

Wittapp
10-19-2008, 03:20 PM
specs I have seen on the 4 mix system seem to be lighter than the 2 cycles. That amazes me. I will have to look into the cost. Any maintenance issues I know about. I love the Stihl Products that I have, so, that is probably the way I will go. And, since I am not in need of a new trimmer, the 4 mix makes sense. I have to have mixed fuel anyway.
Dave in Dayton

White Gardens
10-19-2008, 03:30 PM
I have Stihl 4 mix trimmers, edgers, and hedge trimmers and love them. Way better than my 2 cycle Echo equipment which I sold off. They have great power, aren't too heavy, and have amazing torque.

I have no idea on the 4 cycle blowers, I have heard great things about them but went with a Stihl 2 cycle to save a little $$$.

Ditto, love the torque they produce.

S man
10-19-2008, 08:38 PM
I actually got to use a stihl br600 and wasen't impressed with it at all. It was a little lighter and more comfortable I give it that but my redmax 7001s and built better and have more power imo.

Lazer_Z
10-20-2008, 08:36 AM
I actually got to use a stihl br600 and wasn't impressed with it at all. It was a little lighter and more comfortable I give it that but my redmax 7001s and built better and have more power imo. I hate to burst your RM bubble Scott, but the BR600 & 7001 are pretty much in the same class. So saying you are not impressed with a BR600 and that the 7001 has "more power" is kinda funny. I personally ran side by side with a 7001 and I out blew it with my BR600.

S man
10-20-2008, 06:53 PM
I hate to burst your RM bubble Scott, but the BR600 & 7001 are pretty much in the same class. So saying you are not impressed with a BR600 and that the 7001 has "more power" is kinda funny. I personally ran side by side with a 7001 and I out blew it with my BR600.

That's my point. They are in the same class basically and I prefer the redmax over the stihl. The redmax feels a bit more powerful to me. Also they are very reliable. And some of this would be different if my two favorite dealers sold stihl but they don't so I buy what they sell. Redmax echo shindaiwa kawasaki.

J&R Landscaping
10-20-2008, 07:02 PM
I prefer the 2 stroke units over the 4 stroke units. I have a couple Echo blowers and one Redmax EBZ 7001. The 7001 gets its done for me. None of my current dealers sell Stihl anyhow so I'm not in a real hurry to switch.

truthnlife13
10-20-2008, 07:08 PM
@ my job but just bought Stihl 4mix blower (br600) and trimmer (fs110r). Only used them one day. I highly doubt I will ever pick up the echo PB751 ever again. I was perfectly happy with it until I used the BR600. Much quieter, lighter, more comfortable, and does a better job. As far as the trimmer... the verdict is still out. I have a feeling I am gonna end up liking the 4 stroke blower and the 2 stroke trimmer

genesis215
10-22-2008, 09:51 AM
The Stihl BR600 is the most powerful, quiet, lightweight, and comfortable blower hands down. If you really want a 2-stroke, get an Echo PB-651. But I don't think you will after seeing this. The Stihl had reliability problems up until November 2005, but then Stihl fixed the problems, and there have been ZERO warranty claims since. Here is a video in which it competes against the Echo PB-755, Shindaiwa EB-8510, and the Redmax 8000. The Stihl outblows the Redmax 8000 by not a small margin as you will see. Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEePijBdgJw

Optimum Lawn
10-22-2008, 10:14 AM
If the 2 strokes got the same R&D over the last several years as the 4 strokes are getting there would be no comparison ....2T hands down....light weight and SIMPLE...especially IF something does go wrong. I hate the complexity and cost (upfront and rebuild) of the 4T.
Been through it all with offroad motorcycles and have switched to all 2T now and will never (till I have no choice) jump on the 4T bandwagon (I jumped off as the 4T crazz was taking hold)
Bombardier has some off the cleanest running recreational vehicles/outboards out there and they are 2T based with direct injection :cool2:
http://www.evinrude.com/en-US/E-Tec/E-TEC.Advantage/Cleaner.Quieter.htm

Long live the 2T
Simple cheap effective.

jaybird24
10-22-2008, 11:46 AM
In our climate 2-stroke all the way. We went to 4-mix stuff about 4-5 years ago and have finally fazed it all out. It just did not start well in the cold or hot humid conditions and needed more attention. 4 years ago our Stihl dealer said they would have a 4- mix chainsaw out within a couple of years. Still no saw. Nobody relies on their equipment more than loggers, Stihl knows the 4-mix will cause problems on a piece of equipment like that, and the government has kept the emissions away from that industry for that reason. We all need the lumber, and those guys need reliable safe equipment to deliver it. I've had the 4 mix, no thanks.

zeroturner
10-22-2008, 12:21 PM
2 stroke for me. I have owned the Shindaiwa 8510s and I was so glad to get rid of them and get back to my Echo 2 strokes.

Scagguy
10-22-2008, 03:21 PM
I have 3 BR600's. Other than a valve adjustment at approx 300 hours on each of them, no other maint has been done other than change the air filters and spark plugs. We run 80:1 Opti 2 oil.

Richard Martin
10-22-2008, 03:52 PM
but then Stihl fixed the problems, and there have been ZERO warranty claims since.

As much as I like my Stihl equipment (all but 1 of my handhelds are Stihl) not even I'll buy this pile of horse doody. Tell me you're just kidding!