PDA

View Full Version : Blades getting old

ein999
10-18-2008, 12:01 PM
When blades get old and loose their edge to they loose cutting performance.

they are still sharp and have the lift baffle but dont have the meat on the cutting edge they once did. Does this affect cutting perfomance.

Please try to be helpful, if you dont have a helpful comment dont post.

IN2MOWN
10-18-2008, 01:25 PM
Of course it effects it.

How often do you sharpen? If you do it every 10-15 machine hours then you should have a good edge for a couple seasons easily.

I buy new blades every other year.

DLAWNS
10-18-2008, 01:31 PM
I agree, it definitely affects the cutting performance.

MyKisa
10-18-2008, 04:45 PM
I change blades daily. I believe it is worth it. I mow 35 40 daily.

TLS
10-18-2008, 04:49 PM
Yes as you sharpen blades back, they loose length. The also loose that all important 90 degree angle on the tip. Both degrade QOC to the point where I feel it's no longer worth sharpening them. Well before that time I have usually hit something real hard that renders it useless to me anyway.

FromtheGroundUp
10-18-2008, 04:53 PM
as long as you have enough"meat" to sharpen you fine. i replace them when my sharpening reaches pretty dang close to the lift baffle. i keep the older ones to use in fall/winter for leaves. at this time i switch to 2 blades per spindel. "in an X"

David Haggerty
10-18-2008, 08:00 PM
No. Not that I can see. I used to keep the old "thin" blades in one set, and put on new blades as a whole set, but no more. If they're properly sharpened there ain't no difference.
I've sharpened them with an angle back toward the tip, kept the cutting face parallel with the back, even rounded the tip around in a curve. Still no difference.

The only thing that makes a difference is;
1. The blade is bent
2. If it isn't sharpened at the proper angle.

I only run big mowers. But I don't see how it would be different form any other mower unless they had some kind of design flaw or something that would have problems with a slight change in cutting blade's width.
Then it would look like the owner's manual would say "you can't sharpen these blades" or something.

Genlandscape
10-18-2008, 08:04 PM
We replace our blades every two hundred machine hours, and sharpen every 8 hrs. We have very sandy soils here in coastal Florida so blades don't last long. Do what you feel is right for your lawns, and what gives you the best results. Yes poor blade condition will affect your cut, afterall its the blades that do all the work. The rest of these fancy machines just make the blades turn, and go forward.

CleanCutProLawn
10-18-2008, 08:12 PM
I do the same as Haggerty at the golf course and with my lawn care, i can run my blades at the golf course til there is only 1/4" - 1/2" of flat at the end before you hit the lift baffel. I have not experienced any loss of QOC running my blades down this far, we can get 800+ hrs out of blades up here but we don't have sandy soils. I will sharpen blades apprx every 30 to 40hrs, but always have a extra sharpened set with me at all times.

ein999
10-18-2008, 09:09 PM
I do sharpen everyday or everyotherday when im mowing.

I appreciate the comments nice to have help.

Scgentlman1
10-18-2008, 09:11 PM
I must be doing something wrong, I replace my blades about every 10-15 hrs of use, I only have them sharpened 1 time. But again I only pay $9.25 a piece for Gator blades.And they cost me 3.00 a piece to have sharpened. 61" cut mowers

IN2MOWN
10-18-2008, 09:30 PM
I must be doing something wrong, I replace my blades about every 10-15 hrs of use, I only have them sharpened 1 time. But again I only pay $9.25 a piece for Gator blades.And they cost me 3.00 a piece to have sharpened. 61" cut mowers

You buy all new blades every 10-15 hours?

Wow. That must get expensive.

I buy new blades every other season.

BTW, buy a grinder and do it yourself. Save some money.

CleanCutProLawn
10-18-2008, 09:41 PM
You buy all new blades every 10-15 hours?

Wow. That must get expensive.

I buy new blades every other season.

BTW, buy a grinder and do it yourself. Save some money.

I second that. What do you do with your old blades?

tjwalkingon
10-19-2008, 09:16 AM
Get a grinder, if I can sharpen the blades anybody can! Was paying one of my crew to do it, then when we slowed down I started doing it to save money. We changed ours every other day when we were running full blast in the summer. I've now graduated to changing the blades myself. Next step changing oil.

IN2MOWN
10-19-2008, 09:20 AM
I second that. What do you do with your old blades?

They are sitting on a shelf.

But now that you have mentioned it I wonder if I could recycle them?

ALC-GregH
10-19-2008, 09:23 AM

You can send the old blades to me, I'll use them. :)

RonB
10-19-2008, 10:00 AM

BS. cut 100 hrs. and you have a stack of 30 blades and have spent almost $1000 on blades? Since it seems you have already bought another set, you been in the biz for at least about 20 hrs? huh.

ALC-GregH
10-19-2008, 10:09 AM
BS. cut 100 hrs. and you have a stack of 30 blades and have spent almost $1000 on blades? Since it seems you have already bought another set, you been in the biz for at least about 20 hrs? huh.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

ALC-GregH
10-19-2008, 10:11 AM
I sharpen and balance my blades every few weeks. I have 2 sets, one on the mower and one sharpened and balanced set ready to swap out. Once I change them, I sharpen the dull set and I'm ready again.

LushGreenLawn
10-19-2008, 10:18 AM
I change to a net set every day and sharpen all at the end of the week. I have noticed that once the enge wears back a little, the cut performance goes down. I replaced my last sets after two seasons.

George Mason
10-19-2008, 03:48 PM
I use a vice and a hand grinder. My grandfather uses a table grinder to sharpen all of his tools and blades. Just curious as to what you all use. My dealer uses a machine, but that's more $ I am sure than I am willing to pay though I have no clue as to how much it would cost.