PDA

View Full Version : Ferris owners

CleanCutProLawn
10-18-2008, 09:54 PM
I just had a fast vac system put on my is2000 mid week and it works amazing. My only question is how centered is the bagger mount supposed to be on the back? The way they installed it, it is actually a little to the discharge side. Could some of you guys post pictures with your baggers attached.

Frue
10-18-2008, 10:03 PM
Thats right, this way it does not rub against things as your are trimming out properties. I actually took out a mailbox onetime. What deck size do you have?

CleanCutProLawn
10-18-2008, 10:07 PM
61" thats what I kind of figured but wasn't totally sure because the pictures on the Ferris website show it totally centered with the clear tube almost touching the tire. I love it so far even though i only have three days using it, I might adjust the front springs maybe a notch to firm up the front a little. Thanks for the quick reply

Frue
10-18-2008, 10:14 PM
61" thats what I kind of figured but wasn't totally sure because the pictures on the Ferris website show it totally centered with the clear tube almost touching the tire. I love it so far even though i only have three days using it, I might adjust the front springs maybe a notch to firm up the front a little. Thanks for the quick reply

How is your ability to cut level wise. i am having huge problems gettig the deck to cut level with this system on? It seems to cut uneven on the left side?

CleanCutProLawn
10-18-2008, 10:22 PM
I've only had one instant so far where I didn't cut level and that was on an area where i was on a slope and turning, the extra weight on the discharge side caused it to dip a little. Thats why i want to stiffin up the front a little maybe one notch or so. Did you put on the system yourself or did you have someone else do it?

Frue
10-18-2008, 10:24 PM
the dealer. I have had it leveled 5 times. any type of grade causes this issue for me and I have 2 of these machines.

Frue
10-18-2008, 10:25 PM
the spanner wrench is under the seat!

punt66
10-18-2008, 10:29 PM
I have the fast vac on my machine. 52" deck. Cuts perfectly level. Saving me a huge amount of time with the leaves! I adjusted all my springs to the stiffest setting at the install. I installed it my self. Its easy to do.

CleanCutProLawn
10-18-2008, 10:40 PM
Thanks a ton on the spanner wrench location! I guess the only thing that i could see affecting HOC if all the chains are at the correct lenght is that your shocks might be too soft. I know when they installed mine they moved the rear shocks from the foward position to the upright position but I don't believe they adjusted the fronts at all, which i think they should because of the 150lbs of counterweight on the front. Just try goin through the manuel yourself and see if you can see a step that they might have overlooked. Like I said mine is excellent on most terrain just the slopes/turning issue i'm having now, i'm pretty confident that I can work this out quickly. Thanks again

doubleedge
10-19-2008, 12:19 AM
Isn't the deck attached to the wheels so the suspension doesn't make the deck scalp? If so, I dont think it is from the the suspension. Maybe the deck , because of the added weight, is tilting to the discharge side because of the added weight. That would make it affected more by hills than on flat ground because of the angle. Maybe you could try to attach a spring from the impeller housing to the rops like Kubota does. It may not work, though, because kubota uses iron braces, not chains.

punt66
10-19-2008, 08:22 AM
Thanks a ton on the spanner wrench location! I guess the only thing that i could see affecting HOC if all the chains are at the correct lenght is that your shocks might be too soft. I know when they installed mine they moved the rear shocks from the foward position to the upright position but I don't believe they adjusted the fronts at all, which i think they should because of the 150lbs of counterweight on the front. Just try goin through the manuel yourself and see if you can see a step that they might have overlooked. Like I said mine is excellent on most terrain just the slopes/turning issue i'm having now, i'm pretty confident that I can work this out quickly. Thanks again

I only us 1 weight on the front. I started with all three and the mower felt real front heavy. So i took 1 off and it was better and then took another off and even with full bags the mower was very stable. You defenetly need to stiffin the springs.

LuvMyFerris
10-30-2008, 12:27 AM
FYI, for Ferris users:
If you use your mower on an angle (incline) like the side of a hill or ditch I hear the inside of the rear wheels will rub and eat into the hydro lines, so be carefull, I have pics of this on a mower like mine too YMMV.

punt66
10-30-2008, 06:51 AM
FYI, for Ferris users:
If you use your mower on an angle (incline) like the side of a hill or ditch I hear the inside of the rear wheels will rub and eat into the hydro lines, so be carefull, I have pics of this on a mower like mine too YMMV.

only if the hydro lines arnt adjusted properly. Mine did rub. I removed the tires and lossened the lines and made an adjustment so the lines were further away from my tires. I did that at 500 hours when i replaced the tires and 1 line was rubbed into.

sam c
11-13-2008, 09:05 PM
I have a 52" I centered mine. Have you had any belt issues yet?

punt66
11-14-2008, 03:46 AM
I have a 52" I centered mine. Have you had any belt issues yet?

when i first bought it the deck belt was jumping off. I adjusted the deck and it never happened again. The machine has been flawless.

LuvMyFerris
11-14-2008, 07:53 AM
No issues with mine wither...:usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag:

sam c
11-14-2008, 09:31 AM
I was most curios about the bagger belt. But Yes, I had the same problem with the blade belt also. I also adjusted the deck, then the dealer told me that it was necessary to engage the clutch at full throttle anything less would cause the belts to "chuck" and subsequently jump off. At 2 yrs old and 400 hrs I have spent over $500. on belts. 2 blade belts, 3 hydro belts and at least 12 (I lost count) bagger belts.

punt66
11-14-2008, 10:41 AM
I was most curios about the bagger belt. But Yes, I had the same problem with the blade belt also. I also adjusted the deck, then the dealer told me that it was necessary to engage the clutch at full throttle anything less would cause the belts to "chuck" and subsequently jump off. At 2 yrs old and 400 hrs I have spent over $500. on belts. 2 blade belts, 3 hydro belts and at least 12 (I lost count) bagger belts.

WOW. I have a new deckbelt shelved and plan on changing it for the first time at 700 hrs this winter. Still on original vac belt as well. With the vac belt you need to make sure you have the pulleys in the right mounting holes. The 1500z uses differet mounting positions as the others including the pully on the drive of the vac. The vac drive pully is put on backwards compared to the other models. Maybe thats the issue. Who assembled the vac?

sam c
11-14-2008, 11:58 PM
The dealer installed the vac. it has been on the mower since new. The dealer has a new GM who has taken interest in my problem. He has my machine now for warranty work on the hydro system (again). The drive seemed a little weak so before the warranty expired (on 11/1) I brought it in to be checked (on 10/16). Both hyd pumps and motors tested bad so it was all replaced under warranty. After getting it back (two weeks later) I mowed for one hour when the right pump had an internal failure. So after the work was done (again) I asked him to keep it and use it to see if he could find anything. He gave me an IS1500 with a 24hp Briggs and 44" deck w/bagger to use. It has preformed fine. I found the ride to be rougher, the 2 bag system fills fairly quick compared to my 3 bag and the 44" deck is to small for my large accounts. But power to size ratio it's a tough little machine!

punt66
11-15-2008, 08:11 AM
The dealer installed the vac. it has been on the mower since new. The dealer has a new GM who has taken interest in my problem. He has my machine now for warranty work on the hydro system (again). The drive seemed a little weak so before the warranty expired (on 11/1) I brought it in to be checked (on 10/16). Both hyd pumps and motors tested bad so it was all replaced under warranty. After getting it back (two weeks later) I mowed for one hour when the right pump had an internal failure. So after the work was done (again) I asked him to keep it and use it to see if he could find anything. He gave me an IS1500 with a 24hp Briggs and 44" deck w/bagger to use. It has preformed fine. I found the ride to be rougher, the 2 bag system fills fairly quick compared to my 3 bag and the 44" deck is to small for my large accounts. But power to size ratio it's a tough little machine!

yea mine is the 25hp 52" with the tripple bagger. I cant kill it. It is a tough machine. The 1500 does ride little rougher compared to the 2000 or 3000 because of the non independent front suspension. The 1500 is now available in a 61" model starting this year. I hear all the time people tell me the 1500 has smaller pumps and motors etc. but O problems and i see the bigger machines hydros failing all the time. ????????