PDA

View Full Version : Can Anyone Explain This

puppypaws
10-18-2008, 10:42 PM
This is something I find extremely odd and was wondering if anyone may have a reasonable explanation?

What would your reasoning be that an electronic fuel injected Kohler engine with only one more hp (27 to 28) could cause the price of a Hustler Super Z (example) to be $1000.00 more?

Then you take a Bad Boy AOS model mower and go from a Cat 28 hp 3 cylinder diesel to a Cat 35 hp 4 cylinder for a price difference of $900.00.

With the Cat you are getting 7 more hp and another cylinder which means more metal and parts involved. The 28 efi is nothing but a Kohler 27 hp engine with fuel injection.

What is your reasoning on this crazy comparison?

nosparkplugs
10-18-2008, 11:41 PM
Free market economy, Supply & Demand. You know my stance on gasoline fuel injection it's overated, overpriced, and costs more to operate over the total life of the machine.

Your better off going diesel period, before investing in any gasoline EFI OR DFI fuel injection system at any price. Go the Poor man Cat diesel a big Block 35hp AC Vanguard gasburner thats going to be a good motor.

Diesel vs Gasoline not even apples to apples; furthermore the BB AOS 35hp Cat diesel owns it's own plant:laugh: while all other ZTR diesel's or gasoline remain on Earth. Been waiting for the day when a company like BB would have the sense to offer a robust diesel ZTR like the BB AOS 35hp Cat 72" deck. Anything else than the 35hp cat diesel was a waste of money for me.:hammerhead:

doubleedge
10-19-2008, 12:23 AM
Anything else than the 35hp cat diesel was a waste of money for me.:hammerhead:

A lot of multiple acre overgrown lots?

nosparkplugs
10-19-2008, 12:32 AM
A lot of multiple acre overgrown lots?

Pipe line right of way mowing, large church's, athletic fields, large 10 acre estate's.

The ZD331 72" deck was the second choice; however the final invoice price was higher, and the ZD was heavier, 3 cylinder bota is a stump puller no doubt; however less torque vs the cat diesel. I like the Kubota diesel's run a M6800 on the P- line too, just came down to the 4 cylinder 35hp 70ftlbs cat diesel running the same deck. Any inline 4 or 6 cylinder diesel is just naturally more balanced less vibration.

David Gretzmier
10-19-2008, 12:42 AM
Man, my lingo must be dated. I have difficulty understanding what you guys are saying, and I own diesel rigs and have run them for years.

nosparkplugs
10-19-2008, 12:51 AM
Man, my lingo must be dated. I have difficulty understanding what you guys are saying, and I own diesel rigs and have run them for years.

What yah need translated?:confused: my friend

bohiaa
10-19-2008, 01:55 AM
sounds like your dealer may be marking up tooo much, I dont find EFI that expensive.

puppypaws
10-19-2008, 09:38 AM
sounds like your dealer may be marking up tooo much, I dont find EFI that expensive.

Yes, I know I could buy one a little cheaper but even at $700.00 difference for the Kohler efi versus $900.00 between the major differences in the two Cat engines is hard to figure.

topsites
10-19-2008, 10:31 AM
SPOILER ALERT!!!

Do NOT read on if you did not want to be given the answer to the riddle,
such as if you would rather do it the hard way and figure it out on your own.
You have been warned, this is your last chance to back out so if you don't
want this answer then leave at once, the very next sentence contains the spoiler!

Spoiler: The latest technology comes at a price, this price can be steep.

Same reason why bmw's are more expensive than your everyday car.

coolluv
10-19-2008, 11:25 AM
What does it matter? If it cost $50000 its making you money, Right?

Dave...

grassaholic
10-19-2008, 11:51 AM
The reason it costs $1000 more is because of the entire EFI system. It doesn't matter if the EFI gives the engine 1 more hp or 100 more hp. Wether its worth the extra money is completely up to you.

ALC-GregH
10-19-2008, 11:57 AM
I know the DFI/EFI models don't come with a choke cable! LOL :D

TLS
10-19-2008, 12:06 PM
Puppy,

My EFI was also a grand more than a 27hp carby.

I don't understand the logic with the minute difference between the two Cat diesels either. My guess would be that some BIG user of that 4 cyl buys a TON of them and Cat has that engine mass produced cheaper than the 3 cyl one.

Aren't these small cats Perkins anyway?

puppypaws
10-19-2008, 02:19 PM
Puppy,

My EFI was also a grand more than a 27hp carby.

I don't understand the logic with the minute difference between the two Cat diesels either. My guess would be that some BIG user of that 4 cyl buys a TON of them and Cat has that engine mass produced cheaper than the 3 cyl one.

Aren't these small cats Perkins anyway?

I don't know but doubt they are. Does it not amaze you the number of people who post in these threads with no idea of what they are talking about but are trying to be cute, kinda like most 15 yr. olds would. Nothing to add of any relevance, just like to see themselves in print?