PDA

View Full Version : Is it too busy?

m&mmowing
10-18-2008, 10:13 PM
Please check out my website. I may have too many pages, and I want to add one more, before and after pictures after i get them. Please give me any insight and suggestions you may have to make this better. Thanks
www.boldlawns.com

Turboguy
10-19-2008, 06:03 AM
I don't think you have too many pages. Actually it looks pretty good.

The Be Bold that follows the curser was a little distracting but I think it would make people remember your site so it has a good side and bad side.

You were driving the old truck when you were in 3rd grade? I think I would reword something in the about us part. Something about the "you started the business 10 years ago when you were in 3rd grade and you started 10 years ago with an old truck and 8' trailer sounds off. I guess maybe the image of a 9 year old kid trying to see over the top of the steering wheel driving his old truck to the jobsite to mow your lawn might be another image they remember but I would change your wording there a bit.

The navigation being on the top for the home page and on the left on the other pages throws it off a bit as well. It would be better to be consistant with your navigation structure.

m&mmowing
10-19-2008, 09:37 PM
i think that's just how my provider has the navigation set up, i don't like it, and the be bold only works for internet explorer, you know the one browser everyone uses, thank you for the tips and i'll probably change those

Chris B.
10-19-2008, 09:41 PM
I'm confused? You had a truck and trailer when you were 8?

I'm Matt, the owner of BOLD LAWNS. I started mowing lawns for other people when I was in 3rd grade, about 10 years ago. I have slowly built the business, and built it upon solid relationships with my customers. If you don't like me, you won't like my work. Communication is key, if I cannot get to your lawn, or project, you will be informed when I will get to the job, whether by phone or a personal visit.

Company
We started 10 years ago with a small 8 foot trailer, no racks, a small 30 inch dixon mower, a couple push mowers, and an old truck. We slowly built up relationships with customers and grew the business with referrals, allowing us to buy a new trailer, with decent racks, and allowed us to hold our brand new 42 inch Husqvarna mower. Now 10 years later, through great relationships and making BOLD lawns for our customers, we have the top of the line equipment to serve you to the best of anyone's abilities, just ask one of my other customers.

m&mmowing
10-19-2008, 10:52 PM
it was my dad's i rewrote it, thank you for the suggestions

RickR1818
10-20-2008, 12:02 AM
Just my opinion but mentioning the type of trailer or brand of mower doesn't mean anything to the customer. You do a good job of pointing out your customer service and belief in customer communication but the fact of having a trailer with racks or a Husqvarna doesnt make me want to hire you. You have to sell me on what you can do for me, not what you can buy with the money you make off of me and your other clients. As a customer, I dont care if you can grow your business. I just want to know if you'll show up every week, do a good job at a fair price, and be available if I have a problem.

RickR1818
10-20-2008, 12:11 AM
Here are my ideas:
#1 The most important thing in web design is continuity from page to page. Each page should be set up basically the same way for ease of navigation. Your navigation buttons go from the top of the home page to the left side on other pages.
#2 I would change "Make your lawn a statement" to "Make a statement with your lawn!"
There are other issues but this is a good start.

Turboguy
10-20-2008, 06:37 AM
Sitting here drinking my first cup of coffee for the day I decided to take another look at your site.

One thing I really like is the specials. Sometimes it is hard to pin down where a new customer comes from and that will do it and it rewards someone for visiting your site and calling you. I don't see that on most sites and I think that is great.

I had already commented about the navigation inconsistency and agree with the comments Rick and Chris made but I will give you another BIG BIG BIG mistake that is an absolute website KILLER. You have next to no contact info. All you have is your phone number a few places. So that means if someone does an Internet search for Lawn Services Mulvane KS you will never show up. No one will ever find your site. You should list your city, state and your county so anyone doing a search has a chance to find you. There is another website asking reviews done by Tom Penny, check out his "contact us" page. He did a great job with it. You need to add something like that to your site. Without the contact info it also looks like you have something to hide.

Your photos are OK. I really like the one with the sprinklers and the one with the leaves makes sense but your main photo really does not tie in with your site that much. It is an outdoor scene but I think you could find a better photo.

I also don't agree with your statement about IE being the browser "everyone" uses. You would be surprised how many don't use IE.

m&mmowing
10-20-2008, 10:03 AM
wow, i should have come here earlier, i really, really appreciate it, all i get from my family is "it's good" "good job" "i really like it". so this outside info is great, thanks a lot, and the service i'm using, that was the best pic and the navigation for the page was already setup, i'm trying to figure it out as i go a bit, but it'll come around, and thanks again for all the input and constructive criticism.

m&mmowing
10-20-2008, 06:19 PM
I have made the changes you have recommended me, and i thank you, except for the navigation change, i am unable to do that right now. Again, thank you for all the help and constructive criticism

Turboguy
10-21-2008, 06:40 AM
Much better.

m&mmowing
10-21-2008, 12:55 PM
thanks a lot, anything else needs to happen?

Turboguy
10-23-2008, 10:35 PM
I think it looks pretty good actually.

You might want to add an e-mail contact. Lots of people surfing the net want to do something "right now" and that would be a good addition.

You have almost no meta tags. Keywords are not as important as they were at one time but a good title and description can really help with the search engines and the keywords should be there.

Other than that no other ideas right now.

tinman
10-23-2008, 11:09 PM
like it except for the color mix below picture. Looks odd

WebMan
10-25-2008, 04:39 PM
The opening page doesn't have an SOB. :nono:

That's a Statement of Benefit and is the most important thing in your entire marketing plan especially your web site.
An SOB is one statement that tells me as a customer the greatest single benefit I will get from using you. (This takes some thought)

Remember it must be a benefit not a feature. What you have now is a kind-of vague feature, My lawn will make a statement :confused: what kind of statement, why does my lawn need to make a statement :confused: do I want a "BOLD" lawn?...maybe I'm not a bold kind-of personality ...that phrase might or might not appeal to me enough to make me want to look at your web site and that's what it has to do. IMHO that phrase would be 50-50 at best as far as how many people would be interested and look at another page. The title of that page is also "Welcome Page" so on Google or any search engine it would look like:

Welcome Page
Make your lawn a statement. Bold lawns is proud to help...

Maybe...since it would probably pick some random text for the description because your description tag is blank so it might or might not say anything at all under "Welcome Page" (on a search engine the Title is the top line the description is what's underneath it...both are tags.)

Then on your pages you have mostly features not benefits and your cat do-do link doesn't work. You have a couple of pages with just a couple of pictures and a line of text...I' probably be gone if I was a "looker".
Also all your links are active (they do things when you move over them) You need to either have a plain set of text links on your home page (preferably on all pages) or "hide" them in the page code (hard to do, easier to just put some text links at the bottom) If they are in Javascript a search engine can't follow them so it won't get the rest of your pages. It's a good idea to always have an extra set of text links. It appears you have a site map link but it doesn't have an address, so where is the site map if the spider follows the link?

Remember the 8 second rule. You only have 8 seconds (tops) for me as Joe Surfer to decide if you do what I need done and if there is something about your site interesting enough for me to keep reading...Even if I find your site and like the "Bold Statement" concept it's very hard to read since it is spread across 3 colors, at least put that in a box with a solid background and leave the split colors below

(and I won't even mention it's another one of those 800X600 sites built for 15" monitors...people in the lawn care business here seem to love those and I can't begin to change any minds about why you are wasting all that screen space if they have more than a laptop...)

PSS: Marketing 101: In Any Marketing effort; Benefits sell, Features don't.

Benefits vs. features... A car that has a GPS has a "feature" (the GPS) the salesman finding out that I travel a lot and explaining that with this neat thing built in I'll never miss a turn or get lost again--now the GPS is a benefit... a benefit DOES SOMETHING for ME!
The fact you rake leaves is a feature...
Saving all my time and money spent on bags and my back aching from raking or even filling bags from a yard vac...those are benefits.

G.M.Landscaping
10-25-2008, 05:01 PM
The opening page doesn't have an SOB. :nono:

That's a Statement of Benefit and is the most important thing in your entire marketing plan especially your web site.
An SOB is one statement that tells me as a customer the greatest single benefit I will get from using you. (This takes some thought)

Remember it must be a benefit not a feature. What you have now is a kind-of vague feature, My lawn will make a statement :confused: what kind of statement, why does my lawn need to make a statement :confused: do I want a "BOLD" lawn?...maybe I'm not a bold kind-of personality ...that phrase might or might not appeal to me enough to make me want to look at your web site and that's what it has to do. IMHO that phrase would be 50-50 at best as far as how many people would be interested and look at another page. The title of that page is also "Welcome Page" so on Google or any search engine it would look like:

Welcome Page
Make your lawn a statement. Bold lawns is proud to help...

Maybe...since it would probably pick some random text for the description because your description tag is blank so it might or might not say anything at all under "Welcome Page" (on a search engine the Title is the top line the description is what's underneath it...both are tags.)

Then on your pages you have mostly features not benefits and your cat do-do link doesn't work. You have a couple of pages with just a couple of pictures and a line of text...I' probably be gone if I was a "looker".
Also all your links are active (they do things when you move over them) You need to either have a plain set of text links on your home page (preferably on all pages) or "hide" them in the page code (hard to do, easier to just put some text links at the bottom) If they are in Javascript a search engine can't follow them so it won't get the rest of your pages. It's a good idea to always have an extra set of text links. It appears you have a site map link but it doesn't have an address, so where is the site map if the spider follows the link?

Remember the 8 second rule. You only have 8 seconds (tops) for me as Joe Surfer to decide if you do what I need done and if there is something about your site interesting enough for me to keep reading...Even if I find your site and like the "Bold Statement" concept it's very hard to read since it is spread across 3 colors, at least put that in a box with a solid background and leave the split colors below

(and I won't even mention it's another one of those 800X600 sites built for 15" monitors...people in the lawn care business here seem to love those and I can't begin to change any minds about why you are wasting all that screen space if they have more than a laptop...)

PSS: Marketing 101: In Any Marketing effort; Benefits sell, Features don't.

Benefits vs. features... A car that has a GPS has a "feature" (the GPS) the salesman finding out that I travel a lot and explaining that with this neat thing built in I'll never miss a turn or get lost again--now the GPS is a benefit... a benefit DOES SOMETHING for ME!
The fact you rake leaves is a feature...
Saving all my time and money spent on bags and my back aching from raking or even filling bags from a yard vac...those are benefits.

Excellant post. Do you design websites?

WebMan
10-25-2008, 05:09 PM
Yes, among other things. The rules here are very strict so I cannot really answer more than that; but feel free to contact me.

m&mmowing
10-27-2008, 04:25 PM
how's it look now mr. webman, thanks for the input

BDLC Mikey
10-28-2008, 01:31 AM
oww my eyes i couldnt look at it for longer than 10 seconds and i had to click off... try some neutral colors. you already got them to visit your page you dont have to get their attention anymore. now you have to make them aesthetically pleased and guide them through to the areas of importance...

m&mmowing
10-28-2008, 10:15 PM
Did you have laser correction surgery? That could be really beneficial to me, but like i said, best template i could find, and it got changed, i'll work on changing a background and making it more appealing, again, thanks for your input

BDLC Mikey
10-29-2008, 01:09 AM
Did you have laser correction surgery? That could be really beneficial to me, but like i said, best template i could find, and it got changed, i'll work on changing a background and making it more appealing, again, thanks for your input

no i did not if that was directed at me... but give me your source code and ill clean it up for free... just so you know you can save the site to your computer and send me your index.html and any other pages you want to fix and i can edit them and send em back to you so you can preview and then choose whether you want to upload it... sorry if thats confusing.

Turboguy
10-29-2008, 05:44 AM
I like the new main photo much better. Nice change. Your text on the home page is all goofed up now. the text is too large and not fitting in the layout of the page. You have the text specified as font size 4 and font size 6. I think smaller text would fix it.

m&mmowing
10-29-2008, 10:13 AM
no i did not if that was directed at me... but give me your source code and ill clean it up for free... just so you know you can save the site to your computer and send me your index.html and any other pages you want to fix and i can edit them and send em back to you so you can preview and then choose whether you want to upload it... sorry if thats confusing.

Confuses the crap outta me, but that's cuz i'm 19 and computer stoopid for my age. but sounds like you could help me out a lot, and i'd gladly accept it, and yes the laser vision statement was for you, because i don't want to alienate that group of people before i meet them, thank you

Turboguy
10-29-2008, 10:18 AM
At your age you might be able to find some frinds who can help as well. It amazes me sometimes how computer savvy some of the kids are. Way, way back when I was just starting to have a website I had a company do my first but they were not good on updates. I was on a forum somewhere and someone was pitching their website design services to me and showing me samples of the websites they had done. I said I would call this person the next day to discuss prices. He asked if I could call in the evening since he was in school during the day and added that he was 12 years old.

Kiril
11-11-2008, 11:08 AM
1) images need to be reduced in file size
2) your home page needs alot of work
3) your menu system makes no sense (pointless pages)
4) make your contact info more visible and easer to use.
5) your code is a mess

Also, I'm not sure I agree with rick on the menus. Header menus are a perfectly viable option and IMHO, changing from a header menu to a left column menu only serves to confuse the user. Choose one or the other, or both.

I do agree with Webman on your homepage. If you don't grab the users interest inside of 10 secs, your going to lose that user.