PDA

View Full Version : frost on the ground this morning.

lawnwizards
10-19-2008, 09:48 AM
today is the official transition period from cutting to fall clean ups. anyone else experience frost yet?

TREEGUARD
10-19-2008, 09:51 AM
Not today but it was friggin cold when i got up this morning

David Haggerty
10-19-2008, 09:53 AM
Frost on the windshields here, none on the grass in SW Ohio.
Just finished fall broadleaf weed control. Looks like just in the nick of time too.

ECS
10-19-2008, 09:58 AM
today is the official transition period from cutting to fall clean ups. anyone else experience frost yet?

Got our first frost on August 12th. Been having frost nearly every morning since then.

ALC-GregH
10-19-2008, 10:08 AM
Frost was here this morning for the first time. I temped the soil at 26.4 degrees with my temp gun at 7am. Everything else around was about 40 degrees.
This is my first season cut lawns. What is the kicker that throw's the grass into dormancy? Is it the first frost? Will the grass grow anymore once that first frost hits? I always thought it was the soil temp that stops the growth, that and lack of water of course.

djflats
10-19-2008, 10:25 AM
There's been frost here Friday morning, Saturday morning, and this morning.

Jason Rose
10-19-2008, 10:42 AM
We had a frost here on Oct. 16. (only once) Temps were about 34 degrees. It didn't damage any plants that I have seen though. The leaves didn't start coming down any faster either. Until we get a good freeze, most things are uneffected.

We have also had RAIN, lots and lots of rain. All this moisture is going to make the trees hang on to their leaves till the bitter end, and most will drop slowly too, meaning I'll have to be out there doing clean-ups till Christmas! Uggg... Wish it would be like last year and just be DRY for a month.

lawnwizards
10-19-2008, 11:12 AM
Frost was here this morning for the first time. I temped the soil at 26.4 degrees with my temp gun at 7am. Everything else around was about 40 degrees.
This is my first season cut lawns. What is the kicker that throw's the grass into dormancy? Is it the first frost? Will the grass grow anymore once that first frost hits? I always thought it was the soil temp that stops the growth, that and lack of water of course.

grass does continue to grow after the first frost. its just for me, when the frost comes i know the grass cutting is about done and its time for me to get into fall clean up mode. time to hit the advertising for fall clean ups.

jeffex
10-19-2008, 11:27 AM
close but no cigar here for frost. next week will be real slow for me as it is cold enough to slow the growth to 2 weeks for a cut. I begin my leaf maintenance mode. Either I skip trimming and edging and replace that time with mulching up leaves while cutting lawn or I add the extra fee if trimming is necessary. The more time it takes the more it costs IMO. My biggest question is will some people skip leaf cleanups like they did aeration this season to save some $..? As I understand it a hard frost , soil temperature, and the hours of daylight all contribute to trigger dormancy in cool season grass.

karlgrooms
10-19-2008, 11:30 AM
Spotty frost and 33 degrees here in WNC. The trees kept my lawn frost free. Every thing looked unharmed but it's to early to tell. It supposed to get even colder tonight.

Green Team Landscaping
10-19-2008, 12:17 PM
Yesterday morning. It was funny to see the water come out the side discharge chute.

JayD
10-19-2008, 02:35 PM

Yep, just got some this morning. Not a full complete covering but enough for me to call it a first frost. Indianapolis, In here.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
10-19-2008, 06:23 PM
Two or three times very light frost, only enough to kill very sensitive flowers/plants.
Someone posed a good question, at what point does the turf (speaking of northern turf) completely shut down the topgrowth? I am assuming a good hard frost/freeze, anyone care to elaborate?

1MajorTom
10-19-2008, 07:09 PM
woke up to a light frost, mostly on the rooftops, a little on the grass in certain areas.

Kglenn04
10-19-2008, 08:01 PM
none here in Michigan

STIHL GUY
10-19-2008, 08:38 PM
No frost yet but it getting pretty close

puppypaws
10-19-2008, 10:30 PM
Got our first frost on August 12th. Been having frost nearly every morning since then.

I've got a good friend that is a highway patrolman in Jackson Hole, his name is Shannon Basaraba. He was a professional hockey player at one time and is married to a past Hawaiian Tropic model, she is a looker.

Do you know him by any chance?

corey4671
10-19-2008, 10:37 PM
I HEARD we had a light frost this morning. Sunday is my day to sleep in a little before going to church at 10. All the old folks were talking about it. NWS issued a frost advisory for us tonight. I noticed that there were white spots forming on my parent's tin roof tonight when we left their house. Supposed to be in the 70's al this week with nighttime lows after tonight in the 50's.
I'd also ask this question, how late is too late to sow Perennial Ryegrass? I've had a few folks ask me to overseed.

Kennedy Landscaping
10-20-2008, 12:23 AM
Its been kinda chilly here in the mornings lately. But it normally warms up mid morning early afternoon

Kglenn04
10-20-2008, 01:37 AM
how long will you guys be cutting for another week 2 weeks???

jeffex
10-20-2008, 07:05 AM
big time frost today

puppypaws
10-20-2008, 08:33 AM
I am in the southern Piedmont of NC, about 15 miles from the SC border. We had our first frost this morning, it got down to 34 degrees so it was a fairly heavy frost. Last week everyday it was in the mid 80's until a front moved through on Thursday.