PDA

View Full Version : A Stupid, Probably, Edging Question

MOturkey
10-19-2008, 01:28 PM
OK, there aren't a lot of people around here who edge flower beds and the like, or at least I've never spent a lot of time in the neighborhoods where they do, so I'm going to ask a dumb question.

I was wanting to re-mulch around our trees this winter, and thought edging around the edge of the mulch would help eliminate grass growth and trimming. I saw a post about the TrenchRblade, and bought one. I also checked out the TrenchRblade website, and watched the video of one in use. The operator used the blade, then pulled the mulch over the cut to the grass line. This makes a nice, neat looking edge, but wouldn't the problem with grass growing into the edge of the mulch still exist?

How do you guys do it? Do you actually leave a strip of bare soil between the edge of the mulch and the turf or not? Thanks, cause I'm :confused:!

JayD
10-19-2008, 02:24 PM
Good question, I would like to know as well. I have the same problem.
I would think that you would not fill the mulch all the way to the top of the trench. Now a few weeks ago. I looked over and saw Brickman holding his trimmer streight up and down while trimming around the tree mulch But......he was using a edgit. We have been trying this out and it seems to help as long as you (of course) face the string away from the mulch. Hope this helps. PM me if you need more info, maybe I can call ya.

White Gardens
10-19-2008, 03:58 PM
Let me look and see if I have any cut edge pics in my folders and I'll post them if I do.

What I do is not put the mulch clear up to the top of my cut. I agree, I feel that the grass tends to want to move back in faster.

With the trench edge you have to maintain it also. I come back once a month during the summer and flip my trimmer on the side to clean the grass that has started to grow back in and also to clean up the lines, just like edging a sidewalk with a trimmer. I use my strait shaft stihl 4-mix and it has plenty of torque with the string to dig out any spots that have filled in.

Now, with not putting the mulch to the top, you can easily scalp the edge with a push mower when the wheel drops into your trench. That to me is the only drawback, and you will get this opinion from others. I don't use push mowers and always trim the bed edges regardless if I use a push or rider.

Your trimmer is your biggest friend when dealing with cut edges. If you keep your edges maintained, then you rarely have to come back in with a bed edger to clean them out.

1wezil
10-19-2008, 04:55 PM
????????????????????????????