PDA

View Full Version : Mowing head for KX161 excavator

AWJ Services
10-19-2008, 03:54 PM
I am looking for a mowing head for KX161.
Flow is 20 gpm.
Mostly for rough brush with an occasional 2 to 3 inch tree.

I have looked at some rotary mowers.Whats your opinion on them?

bobcat_ron
10-19-2008, 04:00 PM
Go with a flail type from US Mower or Rock hound, rotary mowers throw material and leave often kindling wood behind. Flail's grind everything down and they are more efficient, rotary mowers have the most power at their tips, flails have multiple cutting edges to shred and destroy brush.

minimax
10-19-2008, 04:21 PM
I would go with a US mower EX 40 super samurai brush flail you will be very happy with it and US mower just change the blade bolt to a new style that you can change the knifes with hand tools and don't need a impact.PM me and I will give you some more info.

minimax

trailmaker
10-19-2008, 05:12 PM
I have about 300 hours on my us mower (flail) and it has been really bullet proof. I have jammed it up with hidden fence wire or thick poison oak vine roots at least ten times and it still works perfectly. I've seen video of rotary heads and they look sloppy and unwieldy compared to the flail. Check out my post from yesterday for a time lapse video of the us mower in action on a TB138FR.

AWJ Services
10-19-2008, 05:17 PM
I will be using it for maint around tress I do not want too damage and also pond maint.
I have a tractor mounted bush hog and can use it for large areas.

How well do they do if you cut the foliage too the ground as far as damage too the mower.

bobcat_ron
10-19-2008, 06:03 PM
This is my brother's 52" ProMac Disc mower, 51 GPM @3500 PSI and this was as close as I could get.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUvF-DDMnrY

Even my brother gets second thoughts about Flail type mowers, especially when working near buildings.

trailmaker
10-19-2008, 06:10 PM
I mow my own property which has almost no rocks, so I always try to mow to the ground. If you have rocky ground I'm not sure it would be a good idea to go all the way down. Minimax can probably chime in on that issue, he has probably worked in more varied terrain than I have. On thicker stuff I come at it from the top down little by little and it usually becomes tougher the further down you get and you have to slow down a bit. Sometimes it's faster to leave little stumps and make a final pass ripping them out with the bucket. There's a learning curve with these excavator mowers but once you get the technique down it's a really useful tool.

minimax
10-19-2008, 07:27 PM
These flail mowers are tuff but are not a cold planer.On the kifies I have hit lots of rocks and have not ever broke one but have bent them.The triple blade degin helps cut much bigger stuff,it acts like a raker tooth in a saw blade.The kifies last about 300-400 hours using both sides and will cost about $325 for a full set of kifes on a 3 blade set up cutter shaft in a 40" head.Your cost per hour is about $0.81 to a $1.08 based on 300-400 hrs it does not get much cheaper. You can cut right to the ground even if the is rocks but you have to watch out for people,animals,cars,houses,etc. you can throw a rock over 300 yards or 900 ft ( yes that is the right number I have done it and have broke the window to prove it.but a flail will aways throw stuff the same way,rotays throw stuff 360 dereges inclueing at you in the machine.

AWJ Services
10-20-2008, 09:03 AM
How well do these mowers do on small sweet gums and pine trees?

As far as mowing speed how much ground can I cover with them?

trailmaker
10-20-2008, 04:22 PM
I don't have either of those types of trees. As far as covering ground, it depends on the situation. If you've got a level area a track loader or wheel tractor will be much more efficient. But certain places, like in my video, can't be accessed with a track loader or tractor so the excavator mower becomes very efficient.

coopers
10-20-2008, 06:50 PM
Here's a pic of a guy who has various attachments for his 161....

I also found the log grapple attachment interesting...

minimax
10-20-2008, 09:12 PM
AWJ, the pines should not be a problem,but I don't know about the small sweet gums we don't have them?coopers,where is that guy with the 161 with the us mower head on it?

minimax

coopers
10-20-2008, 09:53 PM
AWJ, the pines should not be a problem,but I don't know about the small sweet gums we don't have them?coopers,where is that guy with the 161 with the us mower head on it?

minimax

Minimax,

He's from California, northern California. http://www.yougotbrush.com/index.htm#

bobcat_ron
10-20-2008, 10:02 PM
Minimax,

He's from California, northern California. http://www.yougotbrush.com/index.htm#

"Compact Space All Terrain Dump Truck"

What a joke!! It's a Kubota Utility Vehicle with quad tracks!!! :laugh:

A mini Morroka or Yanmar dumper is a Compact Space All Terrain Dump Truck!

AWJ Services
10-20-2008, 11:56 PM
I have been thinking and the mower my actually add a feature for a niche market.
Everyone here has a farm pond and that think would be excellent for maint.
It would also work well for retention pond maint.

The sweet gums and pines give the stump grinders fits.
Thats why I was asking.

coopers
10-21-2008, 12:14 AM
AWJ, I've been thinking about the same thing for when I actually get going on my business. Aside from Minimax (and he's way north of me) there are not too many companies that do a lot of this type of work. I was thinking of adding this to the list of services I can provide.

Ron, I thought the kubota utility vehicle was funny. Nice idea, but just doesn't haul that much dirt. Just get a skidsteer IMO. But of course, he has good taste in minis that's for sure! :)

AWJ Services
10-21-2008, 08:05 PM
I spoke with Gun today at US mower.
She gave me a quote and spoke with me for a while.
I am very interested in it and I appreciate everyones comments.

skennedy04
02-19-2009, 02:54 PM
I have been thinking along the same lines as you AWJ.Let us know what you decide......lots of ponds , ditches that need mowing down here in the summer and have just started to think about it.I could use a Mini-Ex for a lot of other projects as well as mowing.

skennedy04
02-19-2009, 04:21 PM
This may sound like a stupid question.... but do you think it would be safe to run one of these with out an enclosed cab ?????

Junior M
02-19-2009, 05:50 PM
I have been thinking along the same lines as you AWJ.Let us know what you decide......lots of ponds , ditches that need mowing down here in the summer and have just started to think about it.I could use a Mini-Ex for a lot of other projects as well as mowing.
Same here, I really want to get in to this, but of course it takes a machine to do it, and thats one thing I dont have.. :hammerhead:

skennedy04
02-19-2009, 05:54 PM
Same here.... no machine but have been starting to look around...I think this could be a real money maker around here and another thing we could add to our services....what would be the smallest machine that you could run one of these on?????

Junior M
02-19-2009, 05:58 PM
Same here.... no machine but have been starting to look around...I think this could be a real money maker around here and another thing we could add to our services....what would be the smallest machine that you could run one of these on?????
Well I am sure they make different sizes, I would say all the way down to like a 27D John Deere, or 331 Bobcat, just a guess though, I am sure someone else can give you some reliable information..

And as far as the cab, I know you've got a cabbed JD tractor, and I am almost sure you'd rather be in that cab than on an open ROPS machine when bush hogging, I'd go with a cab machine. Especially if your going to get a used machine, you can get a cabbed machine for close to the same price as an open ROPS machine when buying used because the guy that bought it new is who really paid for that cab..

ClearViewGroup
02-19-2009, 09:18 PM
do you have an excavator now or are you looking to purchase one?

check out our site www.deniscimaf.com

look at the DAH-080C we have installed them on Kubota KX 080 machines and most recently a Takeuchi TB 175 can be installed on most anything putting out around 20-24psi tho...

trailmaker
02-19-2009, 11:41 PM
It is definitely not safe to run one of these without a cab. Material ejects to the side but every now and then you get a weird ricochet at the cab. I had one the other day come right at my face. In 350 hours I've probably only had 20 cab hits, maybe 10 of those would have hit the body, but once is enough. If you have no choice but to run one of these with no cab you would have to wear a helmet and motorcycle chest protector at the very least. A better option might be to weld some kind of screen to the front of the machine, like an old truck headache rack or something.

Construct'O
02-19-2009, 11:58 PM

look at the DAH-080C we have installed them on Kubota KX 080 machines and most recently a Takeuchi TB 175 can be installed on most anything putting out around 20-24psi tho...

I think i would change how your link for your site opens up.New computer persons don't always know what to do when the site doesn't open into a full page.Just my thought.

I realize most will figure it out,but there is a few that would just close the page and surf some where else.Just my thought,altho i know there are several sites that do open on choice of language:usflag:

minimax
02-20-2009, 12:30 AM
skennedy04,You can run a 30 inch flail on 8GPM but more is better.
Look at a us mower or edge industries mower heads,Rockhounds are ok but not built like the other two.Guarding is a must,I would not cut with out a cab.
minimax

Gravel Rat
02-20-2009, 01:24 AM
The highways dept used to run tractors with flail mowers they did a better job now all they use is a rotary disk mower it does nothing but make a mess.

You definatly don't want to be mowing with a open rops machine your just asking for troubles.

AWJ Services
02-20-2009, 07:55 AM

Could not find it?
How much does it cost?

skennedy04
02-20-2009, 08:50 AM

Looking to buy....would like to keep it as light as possable so as to not tear up to much grass....couldnt find the DAH-80C.
As far as my stupid cab question...CAB IT IS.

skennedy04
02-20-2009, 09:17 AM
How do you guys in this charge.....Buy the Hr or Job ????

ClearViewGroup
02-20-2009, 08:50 PM
sorry guys just looked at the site and they havent updated it yet...check your PMs

ClearViewGroup
02-20-2009, 08:56 PM
correction on my earlier post...its 20-24gpm not psi doh!