PDA

View Full Version : edgit??

Wittapp
10-19-2008, 03:57 PM
OK, I am slow. I just saw the edgit for the first time. I went to their website. It was ver, very thin on information. So, for those of you who have them, I have a few questions.
1. How easy/difficult is it to install?
2. Is it a "permanant" install? or can it be taken on and
off between jobs?
3. Is it worth the bucks? Looks like it might save on line.
4. Does it take a lot of getting used to? and does it drasticaly
change your technique?

Thanks in advance
Dave in Dayton

Lawn-Sharks
10-19-2008, 04:43 PM
Is that the guard that you put on the line trimmer to use it like a edger??? If so i wouldn't waist the money! I use my (weed whacker / line trimmer) for edging with no problem....Sure it takes practice but i can put a fat edge down faster with my line trimmer then most people can with an actual edger! Good Luck!

:weightlifter:

brucec32
10-19-2008, 04:49 PM
OK, I am slow. I just saw the edgit for the first time. I went to their website. It was ver, very thin on information. So, for those of you who have them, I have a few questions.
1. How easy/difficult is it to install?
2. Is it a "permanant" install? or can it be taken on and
off between jobs?
3. Is it worth the bucks? Looks like it might save on line.
4. Does it take a lot of getting used to? and does it drasticaly
change your technique?

Thanks in advance
Dave in Dayton

Very easy to install. On echos it's just remove the trimmer head, then 3 screws holding the trimmer guard on, then put the edgit where the guard was using the same screws, then replace the head, and you're done.

It takes about 5 min, so you wouldn't be changing it between jobs. I have never needed to remove it though.

Yes, I have two and it saves back strain when edging as you can rest some of the weight on the edgit and it helps one edge much faster. I can edge walking forward with the edgit as fast as I can walk with good results. Overgrown edges require a little slower pace. Very overgrown edges need a blade edger though. I use very little line during a day with the edgit. One spool lasts more than a day.

Like any new tool there is a learning curve till you get the feel for it, but after a couple years of use I've almost forgoten how to edge without one.

I have some stops where I'm edging and trimming for 45 min straight. W/o the edgit I would not be able to do that w/o a break as my back would tighten up after that long. I only wish I'd gotten one sooner. I find it much more comfortable and quicker to use than the stick edger.

It also has the advantage of helping keep mulch from kicking out of beds as much when edging. Just angle it slightly so it throws the mulch back into the beds.

14 years edging without the edgit and I prefer the edgit.

Prosno
10-19-2008, 09:31 PM
Just bought one last week, after seeing it in the back of magazines for years I decided to give it a try.
Very pleased to say the least and if you get used to trimming left handed as on their site its a pita at first but actually comes out better and faster once you get used to it, also great for edging asphalt curbing.

Wittapp
10-19-2008, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the replies. I have not even started shopping yet. Do you have to order them from the manufacturer? Or do some of the dealers cary them?

Barefoot James
10-19-2008, 10:33 PM
Great tool. those who disagree have never used one. I worked over 10 years on golf courses without one and now as a business owner with one it is soooo much easier plus newbies can be experts in 5 mins. Saves line, time and does a better job.