PDA

View Full Version : Demoing a Tak 120

stuvecorp
10-19-2008, 08:38 PM
When we do hardscaping projects our 70xt with VTS is to big and the ASV300(RC30) can't lift pallets of block or pavers so we have been splitting up the pallets or hauling in both machines and it is getting old. Thought we would try the smallest Tak because of its compact 60" width and wanting to have a machine to replace the Polaris for compact work. The Tak120 will lift a full pallet of block, it does struggle pulling the pallet across the truck but can get it off and on the truck. The bad thing is the visibility when doing fork work. The ride is rough, would a different track style work better? I thought the controls were too easy. I have never minded the ASV/Cat controls but the Tak was too easy, it didn't seem to have a neutral so I zig-zaged some. I liked it though, 50 horse has never felt this powerful. It sounded mean, 2 liters of power. I thought the cab was too big, could have been smaller for better visibility out of the corners on the front and back.

Overall I liked it, the next size up may be alittle better for us.

finegrade
10-19-2008, 08:52 PM
Nice pics, does that door open outwards or up under the cabin?, from the pic, it looks like outwards. Do they have ac option on that model?
When you say a full pallet, are you referring to 2,200lbs plus per pallet?
I really think you're on to something good!!!

Finegrade

Dirtman2007
10-19-2008, 09:02 PM
you can't go wrong with the tak. I did not know that the 120's had a door that opened out instead of rolling up? is that an option only for that model side. I know the 140 and 150 have doors that side up over your head. it's nice because you can run the machine with the door open on a nice day.

Yes they ride a little rought, but the spent the money where it counted by making a good reliable machine. The tak's sure to have unique sound dont they. That's the sound of a Cat D6 under the hood!

stuvecorp
10-19-2008, 09:07 PM
On this one the door swings out. This machine does have air, don't know what it costs. The salesman is working up a price, will be interesting but this isn't a good time to buy a machine.

I was looking at the 130 specs and that one is 62" wide, with more track on the ground. Bet that is an animal. That 130 that sold on Iron Planet awhile ago would have been a good thing to get, I think it is listed on Machinery Trader for $22,500 with new tracks.

Dirtman2007
10-19-2008, 09:10 PM
Does that thing have a radio in it? I noticed a antenna on the back of the cab. I thought the radio option was only in the TL2** series.

stuvecorp
10-19-2008, 09:12 PM
Yes they ride a little rought, but the spent the money where it counted by making a good reliable machine. The tak's sure to have unique sound dont they. That's the sound of a Cat D6 under the hood!

The Tak does have an awesome sound, it really has power.

KTM
10-19-2008, 09:19 PM
Is there A Tak dealer up there? or are you getting it all the way from Madison?
I love Tak's the only thing that sucks is the filters are expensive (thats the only thing I have bought so far) so I imagine any replacement parts are going to be, just like are Kubota's

stuvecorp
10-19-2008, 09:20 PM
It does have a radio, sounded like it was a factory install according to the salesman.

One thing that kinda goofed me up was the 'negative dig', the boom stops are set to allow the bucket to be lower. I would like it to be flat not cut below the tracks. The salesman spent alot of time talking about that. I also liked the roll back with the bucket, I like to flip material to the back of the bucket when grading.

I think I am going to start watching for a 130 size(Tak/Mustang/Gehl) machine, that would compliment the small and big skids real well.

stuvecorp
10-19-2008, 09:23 PM
Is there A Tak dealer up there? or are you getting it all the way from Madison?
I love Tak's the only thing that sucks is the filters are expensive (thats the only thing I have bought so far) so I imagine any replacement parts are going to be, just like are Kubota's

The dealer is Swiderski out of Thorp, their service is legendary.:rolleyes:

KTM
10-19-2008, 09:29 PM
I bought from Kelbe Bros, I have herd good and bad about them. I had no choice Tak dealers are few and far, one bad thing about them

stuvecorp
10-19-2008, 10:13 PM
I bought from Kelbe Bros, I have herd good and bad about them. I had no choice Tak dealers are few and far, one bad thing about them

That is kinda a problem, I believe BCRon had a good quote about Tak dealers(something about moldy trailers?). Swiderski will give you a very low price but then you are on your own.

bobcat_ron
10-19-2008, 11:33 PM
That is kinda a problem, I believe BCRon had a good quote about Tak dealers(something about moldy trailers?). Swiderski will give you a very low price but then you are on your own.

Yes, our Takeuchi/NH dealership is not the best for sales offices.

I like the side by side shot, it's got all the attitude of the bigger Case, but in a smaller size.
And I love those rear lights, now that's smart!

RockSet N' Grade
10-20-2008, 12:01 AM
I was thinking the same thing about the lights.....brilliant! I moved some dirt a couple years ago with a Takehoochi and it was a pit bull. I really liked its performance, and I would own one right now instead of my Gehl, but as I have whined about for years.......the Takehoochi dealer here is like the black plague and everyone stays away from them........no support at all, in fact, they quickly forget who you are.

BIGBEN2004
10-20-2008, 05:02 AM
I was thinking the same thing about the lights.....brilliant! I moved some dirt a couple years ago with a Takehoochi and it was a pit bull. I really liked its performance, and I would own one right now instead of my Gehl, but as I have whined about for years.......the Takehoochi dealer here is like the black plague and everyone stays away from them........no support at all, in fact, they quickly forget who you are.

That is a shame. My local Takeuchi dealer is the best dealership you could ever want to know. They all know me by name and will talk to you for hours. They are almost like family.

AWJ Services
10-20-2008, 07:29 AM
One thing that kinda goofed me up was the 'negative dig', the boom stops are set to allow the bucket to be lower. I would like it to be flat not cut below the tracks. The salesman spent alot of time talking about that.

You can actually lift the tracks while digging because of this.
It takes some time too get used too this.
It has it's uses.

bobcat_ron
10-20-2008, 02:28 PM
You can always weld some thicker stops on the loader stops, that's not such big deal.

BIGBEN2004
10-21-2008, 05:04 AM
I love that feature about them. I am on the east cost though where we use large 953 and 963 track loaders and they also do that so that could be why I love that ability. Once you get used to it you might enjoy it.

stuvecorp
10-29-2008, 08:33 PM
I have the Mustang MTL16 in the shop and it is an animal. It will lift two stacked pallets of block and the hydroseeder. It does everything I want in a compact machine. I just may have to add to the fleet.

AWJ Services
10-29-2008, 10:06 PM
They all have really good hydraulics power wise.
There little powerhouses and will really allow you too work beyond there size.

Construct'O
10-30-2008, 07:17 AM
I have the Mustang MTL16 in the shop and it is an animal. It will lift two stacked pallets of block and the hydroseeder. It does everything I want in a compact machine. I just may have to add to the fleet.

What is your thoughts on how the MTL machine turns and moves compared to your machine with the VTS????

Have you gotten a change to do any digging or pushing yet?Thought there also compared to your machine.:usflag:

stuvecorp
10-30-2008, 09:58 PM
What is your thoughts on how the MTL machine turns and moves compared to your machine with the VTS????

Have you gotten a change to do any digging or pushing yet?Thought there also compared to your machine.:usflag:

In the yard I would say that the VTS seems to dig up a little more than the MTL. The VTS does seem to be smoother. The Mustang pushes pretty good, can't really say it is apples to apples against the Case but fills a spot for me when I need a smaller machine than the Case. I just might have to hop aboard the TAK/Mustang/Gehl train. Choo, Choo, baby.

SellingIron
11-03-2008, 09:44 PM
Thats great guys. Support a product that doesn't support the paying customer. Very Smart...

stuvecorp
11-03-2008, 09:49 PM
Thats great guys. Support a product that doesn't support the paying customer. Very Smart...

:confused: elaborate,please?

Junior M
11-03-2008, 09:57 PM
Well, apparently you bought the mustang. So how do you like it? is it really a MTL? I thought CAT and ASV were the only ones that sold MTL's..

ksss
11-03-2008, 10:09 PM

I don't get it either.

stuvecorp
11-03-2008, 10:11 PM
Well, apparently you bought the mustang. So how do you like it? is it really a MTL? I thought CAT and ASV were the only ones that sold MTL's..

I have gone to the dark side. The Mustang is to fill a gap between the ASL and 70XT, more of the hardscaping machine or for smaller dirt work. I am getting more comfortable with it, think it is a good value for me.
The MTL is just what Mustang calls it, sort of model identification. I might have some grapple work the end of the week, time to put some scratches on it.

Junior M
11-03-2008, 10:15 PM
Oh, well post some pic's if you get that job...

Oh, yeah did you get it fully loaded? and how much did it run you?

That machine is Mustang's competition for the T190

KTM
11-03-2008, 10:21 PM
Is he talking about supporting imports?

Dirtman2007
11-03-2008, 10:34 PM
I might have some grapple work the end of the week, time to put some scratches on it.

Yep, I dont care how careful you are, grapple and clearing work will put scratches on the machine. My skid steer looks like it has been to Iraq and back with 1200 hours in my line of work. Not many of the scratches are mine though as I really dont run the skid steer anymore. I rather not bounce and stay on the excavators!

ksss
11-04-2008, 12:20 AM
Is he talking about supporting imports?

I think he is saying that Loegren doesn't support the VTS. The BC salesman does not appear to be saying.

I can only say what kind of support they provide me. I bought my VTS on Iron Planet and they were for a 246 not a 440. So I had no dealer support to turn to. I stopped at the Loegren booth at ConExpo. I explained my situation and asked for some help on how to adjust the tracks for my machine. They were overrun with people, they took my information and said they would get back to me. Honestly I wasn't counting on hearing from them. Well a week after I got back from Vegas, I had several emails and phone calls from them on how to make it work. So far they have impressed me.

SellingIron
11-04-2008, 07:39 AM
:confused: elaborate,please?

My post is in regard to the Takeuchi TL120 comments. There where a few post talking about dealer support and lack there of...Take does built a very good machine but dealers come and go. Thats how it is in FL anyways..Bobcat has a T100 coming out soon that will compete with the RC30...

AWJ Services
11-04-2008, 09:23 AM
My post is in regard to the Takeuchi TL120 comments. There where a few post talking about dealer support and lack there of...Take does built a very good machine but dealers come and go. Thats how it is in FL anyways..Bobcat has a T100 coming out soon that will compete with the RC30...

Every area has a machine that is not supported well.
They are supported wel here in Georgia.
Service second to none.

stuvecorp
11-04-2008, 10:29 AM

Thanks for clearing that up. To be honest every dealer could do better on some stuff. My Case dealer is a joke on the sales side but the service guys are awesome. I am not big enough for a dealer to really care.

KRtraxx
11-04-2008, 09:14 PM
In the yard I would say that the VTS seems to dig up a little more than the MTL. The VTS does seem to be smoother. The Mustang pushes pretty good, can't really say it is apples to apples against the Case but fills a spot for me when I need a smaller machine than the Case. I just might have to hop aboard the TAK/Mustang/Gehl train. Choo, Choo, baby.

Many thanks Stuvecorp for your recent purchase on the Mustang MTL16 . I will do my best to meet your service needs down the road.Its kind of neat to have a customer who bought a VTS and a Tak style track loader the same year.Looking forward to getting some "on the job" comparisons from you Ryan.. Thanks again. Dale@KR Equipment

mrsops
11-04-2008, 09:45 PM

how do you know about a t100? and when is it coming out

SellingIron
11-05-2008, 01:14 PM
how do you know about a t100? and when is it coming out

I have seen one being demoed for testing. I think its the first qtr of 2009..They are working on SJC (joystick) controls..

mrsops
11-05-2008, 02:03 PM
I have seen one being demoed for testing. I think its the first qtr of 2009..They are working on SJC (joystick) controls..

any idea what the width of the machine is going to be?

Hollowellreid
11-05-2008, 03:10 PM
We have never been big on bobcat but might have to look at a T100 if it comes out. Hope it has a bit more power/size than the T140, that was a real dog. Would be a good alternative to the RC30.

Takeuchi really needs to build a TL100. I bet we would be all over that.

bobcat_ron
11-05-2008, 03:21 PM
Takeuchi needs to stretch their tracks further back, then everyone will be all over them. C'mon!!

stuvecorp
11-05-2008, 05:07 PM
Takeuchi needs to stretch their tracks further back, then everyone will be all over them. C'mon!!

I agree, give him a gold star.

Digdeep
11-05-2008, 06:29 PM
We have never been big on bobcat but might have to look at a T100 if it comes out. Hope it has a bit more power/size than the T140, that was a real dog. Would be a good alternative to the RC30.

Takeuchi really needs to build a TL100. I bet we would be all over that.

I agree. The T140 is extremely underpowered. You can't turbo that engine due to the space constraints and I just don't see how the S70 frame slapped onto tracks will have a better weight to hp ratio than the T140 which only has 35.5hp. The S70 is only 23.5hp and how will it perform once you add the extra weight of the undercarriage and tracks?

mrsops
11-05-2008, 06:32 PM
I agree. The T140 is extremely underpowered. You can't turbo that engine due to the space constraints and I just don't see how the S70 frame slapped onto tracks will have a better weight to hp ratio than the T140 which only has 35.5hp. The S70 is only 23.5hp and how will it perform once you add the extra weight of the undercarriage and tracks?

I bet you it isn't even on a s70 frame i bet you the t100 is 44-48 wide more like the s100 frame who knows we will see. I just bought an s70 I'm gonna be pissed if this t100 comes out soon :nono:

Digdeep
11-05-2008, 06:41 PM
I bet you it isn't even on a s70 frame i bet you the t100 is 44-48 wide more like the s100 frame who knows we will see. I just bought an s70 I'm gonna be pissed if this t100 comes out soon :nono:

I actually like the S70. It was a great replacement for the 463. I meant to say that the T140 was underpowered with 46hp (the S130 frame) and I would hope it would be on the S100 frame but I still think it would be underpowered. The T140 is 1400lbs heavier than the S130 without a change in hp. If the "T100" gains say 1000lbs it would weigh 5100lbs with only 35.5hp. The ASV PT30 only weighs 3300lbs and its only 5.5hp less.

mrsops
11-05-2008, 06:47 PM
I actually like the S70. It was a great replacement for the 463. I meant to say that the T140 was underpowered with 46hp (the S130 frame) and I would hope it would be on the S100 frame but I still think it would be underpowered. The T140 is 1400lbs heavier than the S130 without a change in hp. If the "T100" gains say 1000lbs it would weigh 5100lbs with only 35.5hp. The ASV PT30 only weighs 3300lbs and its only 5.5hp less.

we will see what happens hopefully they figure something out. I didn't like the t140 when i demoed it that's probably the only bobcat machine i demoed and did not like. I did like the s130 quick little machine. The s70 def is a big replacement from the 463 everything is alot easier to work on to

SellingIron
11-05-2008, 07:20 PM
we will see what happens hopefully they figure something out. I didn't like the t140 when i demoed it that's probably the only bobcat machine i demoed and did not like. I did like the s130 quick little machine. The s70 def is a big replacement from the 463 everything is alot easier to work on to

I will get the fine details on the T100 HP, Width etc. You need to make sure the tracks aren't to tight when you demo the T140. That was an issue..

mrsops
11-05-2008, 07:21 PM
I will get the fine details on the T100 HP, Width etc. You need to make sure the tracks aren't to tight when you demo the T140. That was an issue..

do you work for bobcat?

Digdeep
11-05-2008, 07:30 PM

I don't think the tracks were too tight just that the machine is too heavy for the engine hp and has no track on the ground. I bet that if you put the ASV PT30 and the T140 side by side that the PT30 would have longer track on the ground.

SellingIron
11-05-2008, 08:04 PM
I don't think the tracks were too tight just that the machine is too heavy for the engine hp and has no track on the ground. I bet that if you put the ASV PT30 and the T140 side by side that the PT30 would have longer track on the ground.

I have been into compact equipment for sometime now. I know a few people and I favor bobcat. Everyone has there weak points. Here are specs between the RC30/T140 and PT30. Let me know if this helps out.

stuvecorp
11-11-2008, 11:25 PM
Been playing on the compound, don't want my rent to go up next year so have been clearing the fence row by the road. I also thought maybe the neighborhood farmers would get inspired to call but so far everyone just stops to ask about firewood.

stuvecorp
11-11-2008, 11:40 PM
Here is a couple more and a bonus one of Dad's old crane. It does run but don't have a reason too. The Kobelco is running good, wish that would have pulled its weight this year, basically loaded my 350 with it:rolleyes:. Even managed to get the mascot still long enough for a picture, puppy jihad will not be denied.:nono: Once the big haul is done then I have some raking with the Mustang, looking forward sense it has a cab and the weather now is lousy(snow/rain for you southern guys). Not looking forward to sorting out what I am hauling, rocks, barbed wire, roots, dead critters, posts and sod but will worry about that next year.

Stick Pro
11-11-2008, 11:56 PM
I had a chat with my bobcat salesman a few months ago he said the t100 is just a s100 with tracks in my point of view it will be like the t140 underpowered but it would come in handy in some jobs

coopers
11-12-2008, 02:36 AM
Nice looking mustang! And great shot of the pup.

GradeMan
11-12-2008, 04:52 AM
Have good luck with the root rake?

Construct'O
11-12-2008, 09:29 AM
Been playing on the compound, don't want my rent to go up next year so have been clearing the fence row by the road. I also thought maybe the neighborhood farmers would get inspired to call but so far everyone just stops to ask about firewood.

Hows the Mustang working out for you.That was one of the sizes i was thinking of renting and putting the 84 " 4+1 bucket on to backfill my field drainage tile trenches.

Power wise isn't a big issue, it is the weight of the machine, rubber tracks in the muddy conditons and wet clay that is trenched out.They have a MTL 20 which was the size i would probably end up using(if weaather straightens up)i used if:).

You need to find some pipe laying jobs for the old crane,and your other equipment would go good togather.Just wrong time of the year because of all the rain and etc.Just rain here missed the snow by about 80 miles.

Thanks for sharing your job pics!!!!!!:usflag:

stuvecorp
05-09-2009, 11:15 PM
Well, I ran out of good dirt so I rented the Thomas to screen out the fence row scrapings. It went pretty good considering how many roots and barbed wire was in the dirt. The 70 was acting up, it was running like it was gelling up so I had to take it easy. I am guessing that there is roughly 300 yards there. I would be in my Happy Place if I had some of this sold but you can't sell what you don't have.

Junior M
05-09-2009, 11:24 PM
I cant tell, does your Kobelco have a blade on it?

stuvecorp
05-09-2009, 11:29 PM
I cant tell, does your Kobelco have a blade on it?

No, I don't know if I would want one one it. I would like to find an old Drott front shovel bucket for dirt loading. Dad ran the Kobelco today and I think it's getting very close to 12,000 hours but just purrs away.

Junior M
05-09-2009, 11:33 PM
No, I don't know if I would want one one it. I would like to find an old Drott front shovel bucket for dirt loading. Dad ran the Kobelco today and I think it's getting very close to 12,000 hours but just purrs away.
What! 12k? You can tell its got some hours, but not that many.. I'd guess 8k or so..

ksss
05-10-2009, 12:47 PM
What did you think of the Thomas screener? I had considered on of those on and off for years. I bid one to 14K at a RB auction and that is as close as I have gotten. Theres another one coming up at a RB auction. With the rock we have you can imagine how valuable they could be.

stuvecorp
05-10-2009, 03:49 PM
What did you think of the Thomas screener? I had considered on of those on and off for years. I bid one to 14K at a RB auction and that is as close as I have gotten. Theres another one coming up at a RB auction. With the rock we have you can imagine how valuable they could be.

If you could get one for ten or less I would say go for it. They won't give you the production a regular screener would but it's so simple and easy to use. We were probably getting 50 yards an hour production wise. I found a screener that is built in Canada(Pro Screen) that is kind of like a smaller Thomas but you can haul it on a trailer or truck.