PDA

View Full Version : Godaddy.com

Allens LawnCare
10-19-2008, 11:15 PM
I'm sure this sounds stupid but I just bought my domain name through Go-Daddy.....Any advise. What to use hints/tips etc......Not really sure what I'm doing...Thanks for the help

Frontier-Lawn
10-20-2008, 11:58 AM
look at my site i use them for the domain buying and hosting each month

Turboguy
10-20-2008, 01:03 PM
I would rate GoDaddy as the best choice by far for Domain names but personally I would rate them far below average for hosting. I have two sites hosted with them which will both be pulled if I ever get the time.

Frontier, not bad for a home made job. Since I own property in North Port and could end up your neighbor if I ever decide to retire I will be nice to you. Actually I am usually nice to everyone all the time anyway. You have some good things on your site but might want to work on getting a logo on the top of the home page and work on the links a bit as well as getting content on some of the blank pages. Still, not bad! I just took a quick glance so I will stop there.

Frontier-Lawn
10-20-2008, 01:58 PM
i used smox pad to edit one of the gopher web templetes that they have.

Frontier-Lawn
10-20-2008, 02:00 PM
also what blank pages are you talking about?

and i reather save the $1,000+ on a web design like this site probly spent http://www.artistree.com/ and save it for a good new ZTR :drinkup:

Turboguy
10-20-2008, 05:04 PM
I looked again and it wasn't blank. The links page was what I saw and there were actually a few links on there but at a glance it looks empty.

If Artistree only spent a grand he got a good deal. I just glanced at the home page but it looked like it would convert enough extra business to pay for a complete ZTR in no time. So you are saying saving a thousand is better than increasing your business enough that you earn an extra $ 20,000 or $ 30,000 a year?

Really your site is decent. I think there might be a few things that could improve it but all in all you did a good job. I have no ax to grind one way or the other. I do my own websites but that is it.

Frontier-Lawn
10-20-2008, 05:45 PM
we i have no prob with this I just glanced at the home page but it looked like it would convert enough extra business to pay for a complete ZTR in no time. So you are saying saving a thousand is better than increasing your business enough that you earn an extra $ 20,000 or $ 30,000 a year?

i just have a prob with having time to do any more lawns then what just i can handle right now. wife has new job 38 miles away (one way) and i have to now work mowing to when she's off and watching the kids when she's working.

and is cool i like axe's :laugh: :waving: :drinkup:

cbscreative
10-21-2008, 01:46 PM
Back to the original question, GoDaddy is a good choice for domains and not so much for hosting just as Turbo says, but I will offer some important advice. Have a list of domains you would like to get BEFORE doing a search. Once you do the search, register the ones you want IMMEDIATELY. They will disappear in as little as a couple hours if you don't. Register both the .com and .net if they are available. All the others like .info and .biz are a waste IMO. It's a good idea to get the Private Registration, but all the other extras are just a way to line the pockets of GoDaddy.

Frontier-Lawn
10-21-2008, 01:55 PM
Back to the original question, GoDaddy is a good choice for domains and not so much for hosting just as Turbo says, but I will offer some important advice. Have a list of domains you would like to get BEFORE doing a search. Once you do the search, register the ones you want IMMEDIATELY. They will disappear in as little as a couple hours if you don't. Register both the .com and .net if they are available. All the others like .info and .biz are a waste IMO. It's a good idea to get the Private Registration, but all the other extras are just a way to line the pockets of GoDaddy.

i had no choice but to get the .biz, i wanted .com for me but a outdoor rec company took it already because i named the company before a search.

so addition to what you said; after you pick a domain name then name you company after that web name not the other way around, if you 100% want a .com and not a .biz.

Allens LawnCare
10-21-2008, 06:34 PM
Currently I'm a dot nothing....just figured I'd buy it while it was available.........

Turboguy
10-21-2008, 11:53 PM
I agree with CBS. Go for a dot.com if at all available. It is better to make some variations in your name to find a .com if possible. Like if AllensLawnCare.com is taken try AllensLawnCareServices or AllensQualityLawnCare. Net would be the second choice but anything beyond that is not accepted yet and may never be. I have taken a few fliers on unpopular endings such as I own lawns.ws but I may never use it and probably it was a waste of money.

I also agree that you should not wait. Back in the early days I missed a really prime on by a few hours.

tradeyouraccounts
10-22-2008, 12:17 AM
The site builder that they have website tonight can be pretty tricky to use and takes some getting used to. You maybe better off if your not that familiar with the whole site building thing is to pay the $$ and get a basic site built that looks professional. They have available now .me domain names so you could make up some interesting domain names with that ending. We have http://tya.me/

DanaMac
10-22-2008, 08:34 AM
We buy thru GoDaddy as well, and host with ReadyHosting. There is a lot more to the website design, search engine registering, meta tags and keywords. I own the domain for my company name - sprinklersetc.com, and five or six others that are similar that get redirected to the main site. If you want a good web presence, pay to get it done right, or find a friend that knows what they are doing. Don't do a hack homemade job of it.

Allens LawnCare
10-22-2008, 09:33 PM
I did get the .com.....I think I'll pay someone to set it up....No Rush, I'd like to have it up and running by the spring

Turboguy
11-15-2008, 06:10 AM
I am glad to hear you got the .com. What URL did you get if you don't mind me asking?

Team-Green L&L
11-15-2008, 09:34 AM
I have over 300 domains registered with GD, but I canceled my hosting with them eons ago, when I learned that I could not stream video on their server with the ffmpeg script. Their hosting is far beneath others like apthost.net.