PDA

View Full Version : Ethics & Marketing

Wittapp
10-20-2008, 11:31 AM
Most of my marketing/advertising is target. IE, I drive the areas I want to work and look for homes that are in need of service and leave them a flyer or sometimes even a quote.

My question is this; What is your opinion of targeting peoperties that you know are being seviced by another LCO? I have mixed feeling about this. On one hand, if the LCO is doing a good job at a fair price, the customer will stay, so no problem. On the other hand, I don't feel too good about trying to "take food out someones mouth".

I know that there are a lot of fly by night guys around here and am thinking that I may be able to pick up some customers by targeting properties that I know have been mowed by LCOs. Any thought?

DUSTYCEDAR
10-20-2008, 11:37 AM
Ah what? Market to all

Wittapp
10-20-2008, 12:07 PM
Ah what? Market to all

After having owned a successful business for the last 20 years or so, that statement makes no sense to me. Why would I want to market my service to someone who does not want or need it. Time and money are better spent marketing to those who will use your product/service.

Woody82986
10-20-2008, 12:25 PM
I personally have no problem letting homeowners know about my company who have LCO's that do crappy work and are unreliable and it shows. That being said, there are many companies in the area that I see out that do great work and I wouldn't ever specifically target those homeowners for work. If they call me out of the blue however, that's a different story.

Turboguy
10-20-2008, 02:09 PM
Personally, I don't see anything wrong with it. You are letting them know about your services. If they are happy with what they have they will stay. If not you may help them to get better service.

If you were planning to go see them with the idea of quoting cheap prices to undercut the competion I might feel different but giving someone options is never a bad thing.

kaferhaus
10-20-2008, 05:09 PM
I target selected high end neighborhoods (however I mostly do commercial work). I couldn't care less if they already use another LCO.

It's just business don't ya know?

I never assume a potential client is "happy". I know I can do a better job that whoever they're using now. And that doesn't mean cheaper either. I have my pricing structure and I stick too it.

I won't "low ball" any account period.

Green Finger
10-20-2008, 09:48 PM
Personally and business wise I don't covet other LCO's properties. I'm young but i was taught the business from guy of a different era.

If another LCO is cutting next to me I'll introduce myself and I'll cut my butt off. EVERYTHING IS TIGHT . I don't volunteer personal information... how much a cut etc.

If I advertise through a mailer it goes to whoever and everyone but I wouldn't comment on another man's work. (bad mouthing)

Enough yards for everyone out there.

tinman
10-20-2008, 11:25 PM
No one belongs to another LCO. I wouldn't do it while the LCO is on the property just because as it is rude. But you shouls advertise especially to likely clients

Chris.B
10-21-2008, 02:19 AM
I can't see a problem with it. People pay us to make their gardens look good and if you think the garden needs attention then it needs attention, maybe you're the guy they need to do it.

sweetz
11-01-2008, 05:38 PM
This is business. I know for a fact that other lco's are marketing to my customers. If they feel that I'm doing a good job, they'll stay, if not, they'll leave. More power to them. Don't bad mouth another company, that looks bad for YOU.

IN2MOWN
11-01-2008, 05:50 PM
After having owned a successful business for the last 20 years or so, that statement makes no sense to me. Why would I want to market my service to someone who does not want or need it. Time and money are better spent marketing to those who will use your product/service.

How do you know they dont need it though? Get your foot in the door with good marketing and it can lead to something else.

HOOLIE
11-02-2008, 01:44 AM
There are a lot of developments in Northern VA where its hard to find a lawn that is NOT mowed by an LCO. I can be mowing someone's front lawn and see 5 or 6 other LCOs drive by in that short time. It's every man for himself. I do realize it's not this way all around the country though. Pretty much, someone that uses a lawn service, that's the type of person you want to target. There's a couple guys I'm friends with, and while I wouldn't specifically go after a lawn a know is 'theirs' as a courtesy, we all market to each other's customers. A lot of new guys falsely think the homeowner with the 2 foot high grass is a prime candidate for a lawn service. 95% of the time this is not the case, it's just someone too lazy to do it themselves, and too cheap to hire someone.

sweetz
11-02-2008, 02:20 AM
There are a lot of developments in Northern VA where its hard to find a lawn that is NOT mowed by an LCO. I can be mowing someone's front lawn and see 5 or 6 other LCOs drive by in that short time. It's every man for himself. I do realize it's not this way all around the country though. Pretty much, someone that uses a lawn service, that's the type of person you want to target. There's a couple guys I'm friends with, and while I wouldn't specifically go after a lawn a know is 'theirs' as a courtesy, we all market to each other's customers. A lot of new guys falsely think the homeowner with the 2 foot high grass is a prime candidate for a lawn service. 95% of the time this is not the case, it's just someone too lazy to do it themselves, and too cheap to hire someone.

That's the way it is in some areas down here too. To get to a couple houses that you mow for in a neighborhood you have to drive past 3,4,5,.... other lco mowing yards.:dizzy:

Gecko Lawns
11-02-2008, 04:38 AM
In general I market to all and quote full market rates.
A customer that is happy will always stay with the existing LCO anyway.
I dont bad mouth anyone I think bad workmanship shows well enough anyway without me having to point it out.
I have on occasion been told by a customer that one of their friends is unhappy with their LCO and my first question is "Have they told them"
I am also aware that in most cases an unhappy customer will tell everybody EXCEPT the person doing the job.
I figure that if someone is doing a substandard job then they deserves to lose the customer.

yard_smart
11-02-2008, 06:21 AM
Are you a winner? . . . That question should bother you
If your not THE winner your A loser . . . That statement should motivate you
Business is a competition . . . That statement should answer your question. . .

DLAWNS
11-02-2008, 08:26 AM

That is the best way to explain this. Very good point.

TomberLawn
11-08-2008, 01:34 AM
Does BMW market to Mercedes owners? You bet they do. When you pick a target market, you can be assured that someone else has also chosen that market as their prime potential. You never know how many people might be dissatisfied with the current company and all they need is a post card with your company's name on it to get them thinking about switching. Even if they are happy now, they might not be later or the current company might go out of business or something.

Of course, I wouldn't try to market while someone was on the job. That's just rude. Imagine viewing 2 car commercials on a dual screen at the same time. Neither one would be of any use. And the guy on the property will get really mad. But since lawn care is not usually marketed door-to-door, this isn't really a problem. A postcard or newspaper add can be placed at any address without bothering the homeowner or the current lawn care company.

sweetz
11-08-2008, 01:41 AM
I wouldn't try to market while someone was on the job. But since lawn care is not usually marketed door-to-door, this isn't really a problem.

I've had a # of guys leave door hangers at a house while I was there mowing the lawn & ya it does piss you off.

Door-to-door is the main way of marketing down here. It is the cheapest & the most profitable.

TomberLawn
11-08-2008, 11:59 AM
The "door-to-door" I was referring to is like vacuum cleaner salesmen type calls. Instead of just leaving a flier or hanger, actually knocking and talking to people. Door hangers do seem to be a good method. But yeah, leaving while somebody is working there is rude. A lot of homeowners will also see this as being too forward and reject it. I know one time while I was mowing, I saw a car driving around taping things to mailboxes. The homeowner went and got his mail and said it was an advertisement for pine needles, delivery and installation. He couldn't believe the audacity of somebody trying to market to him while I was still there working.

sweetz
11-08-2008, 12:26 PM
The "door-to-door" I was referring to is like vacuum cleaner salesmen type calls. Instead of just leaving a flier or hanger, actually knocking and talking to people. Door hangers do seem to be a good method. But yeah, leaving while somebody is working there is rude. A lot of homeowners will also see this as being too forward and reject it. I know one time while I was mowing, I saw a car driving around taping things to mailboxes. The homeowner went and got his mail and said it was an advertisement for pine needles, delivery and installation. He couldn't believe the audacity of somebody trying to market to him while I was still there working.

I kinda figured that was what you meant by door-to-door. :) Ya, I won't do that, I consider it to be very rude. IMHO.

HOOLIE
11-08-2008, 12:43 PM
I've had a # of guys leave door hangers at a house while I was there mowing the lawn & ya it does piss you off.

Door-to-door is the main way of marketing down here. It is the cheapest & the most profitable.

I find most people passing out doorhangers/flyers do not work for the company that is being advertised. They were hired to pass them out, and probably are not told to skip houses to keep an LCO from getting mad :laugh: Like that matters. A lot of you guys are hyper-over-thinking all this.

sweetz
11-08-2008, 12:48 PM
I find most people passing out doorhangers/flyers do not work for the company that is being advertised. They were hired to pass them out, and probably are not told to skip houses to keep an LCO from getting mad :laugh: Like that matters. A lot of you guys are hyper-over-thinking all this.

No, I'm not hyper-over-thinking all this. It's just common sense to me that you skip the house with an lco blowing off by the front door. This is all IMHO, so oh well, I must be wrong. Oh well.

Wittapp
11-08-2008, 02:15 PM
I have done some door to door with very little success. The "door to door" that I do now goes something like this. I will be mowing at customers and one of the neighbors will be out working in the yard. I may walk over and ask if they want a quote, or, just say hello and spend a minute or two chit chatting. Had much better success this way

sweetz
11-08-2008, 04:12 PM
I have done some door to door with very little success. The "door to door" that I do now goes something like this. I will be mowing at customers and one of the neighbors will be out working in the yard. I may walk over and ask if they want a quote, or, just say hello and spend a minute or two chit chatting. Had much better success this way

Ya, I only want to talk to people if I'm already at their neighbors or if I'm out putting up door hangers & they just happen to be outside. You can almost tell which people are interested enough to talk with & which people just want to be left alone.

HOOLIE
11-09-2008, 11:03 PM
No, I'm not hyper-over-thinking all this. It's just common sense to me that you skip the house with an lco blowing off by the front door. This is all IMHO, so oh well, I must be wrong. Oh well.

Well you didn't read my entire post...as I said, and I've talked to a lot of flyer people to find out, a lot of them are not working for the company whose flyer they are passing out. They work for a company that passes out flyers. So they really don't care if someone is mowing a lawn while they go to the door. They may not even pay any attention to what the flyer says. They are hired to pass them out, that's all.

sweetz
11-09-2008, 11:51 PM
Well you didn't read my entire post...as I said, and I've talked to a lot of flyer people to find out, a lot of them are not working for the company whose flyer they are passing out. They work for a company that passes out flyers. So they really don't care if someone is mowing a lawn while they go to the door. They may not even pay any attention to what the flyer says. They are hired to pass them out, that's all.

I apologize, & I did read your full post but I forgot to include in my post that these guys will be wearing labeled shirts from the companies, so they do work for the lawn companies. The other companies that do advertise will do it by mail or throwing a bag with rocks and their add in it on the property. :hammerhead: :waving:

Flow Control
11-10-2008, 08:00 AM
Potential customers do not know you exist unless you get your company information infront of them

yard_smart
11-10-2008, 09:46 AM
Last week i walked up in a yard full of illigal workers and handed my flier business card and coffee cup to the HO. the white guy that runs the company was sitting in his truck and just looked at me all mean . . ..

This dude has been unercutting me on landscape jobs by as much as 50% . . . I'm over playing nice, business is a competition, and I don't like losing !!!