PDA

View Full Version : Hand tools??

meets1
10-20-2008, 03:54 PM
I can tell it is the end of the season - broke another shovel here today. Is it worth paying for quality shovels out of Am Leonard ot some company or just go back to the local hardware store and get a cheap one again hoping to last the another season?

Also do you guys go with wood or fabriclass handles?

Lawnworks
10-20-2008, 05:39 PM
I use those Northstar 4" spades for trenching. I have never ever broken one. We wear out the tips on them.

I came across some wood shovels at Northern at a sale for $4 a piece for flat and spear shovel. Bought 20 of them and I still haven't worn/broke/lost all of them 8 months later.

I used to buy those nice Fiskars metal shovel at 30 bucks a pop... but I cheaped out this year and bought the $4 ones and haven't really missed the $30 ones.

LITLJOHN
10-20-2008, 06:00 PM
craftsmen break it then bring it back for a new 1 .

Isobel
10-20-2008, 08:29 PM
I personally like the fiberglass handles. a little bit lighter really helps at the end of the week.
I haven't broken a shovel, wood or fiberglass, in a few years, so I don't know if one is stronger than the other.

frumdig
10-20-2008, 08:50 PM
your best bet is to buy a hoss ass metal spade, and use that dig, and the shovel to clean... its the first thing i pick up before i grab anything else... works well for everything, cutting roots, prying, breaking up hard clay, digging trenches, diggin holes, sometimes a hammer... hah i prefer wood for everything else... nothin too expensive, but not cheap either... and they last a lot longer when you have a spade to do the hard work...
-Evan

JimmyStew
10-20-2008, 08:53 PM
I used to buy those nice Fiskars metal shovel at 30 bucks a pop...

That is the greatest shovel ever made!!! except on these cold fall mornings....

Actually, they are a bit heavy for everyday use but its always on the truck. Normally, we just use the cheaper, wood handle shovels from the hardware store. They tend to last quite a while if your careful. I have just a small crew so I can keep an eye on them and make sure they know to get the brute from the truck if they do any "pry digging".

Jason Rose
10-20-2008, 08:59 PM
Another vote for the Fiskers metal shovel. I love mine, and you can pick them up a Lowes (I think). You can find heavier duty shovels out there though. But all steel is the way to go. I think the extra weight to the shovel actually makes digging easier, as long as you aren't scooping into a wheelbarrow or something.

Mike's LawnCare Landscape
10-22-2008, 09:53 AM
We get the $4 ones around here they seem to stay around longer I thing the $30 shovels sprout legs and walk off ????:confused:

JB1
10-22-2008, 10:01 AM
we have bought these several years ago expensive but have never broke one.