PDA

View Full Version : English Ivy, theres has got be be a better way.....

Sweet Tater
10-20-2008, 04:28 PM
I have spent most of the day on my knees trying to remove english Ivy that the previouse home owner planted everywhere. and there is still a lot more.
I finally gave up and round-up'ed what I could and will go back tomorrow and tear it up with the line trimmer. but there is liriope intermingled with it that we are trying to save, also a few shrubs that has ivy on them. the stuff is everywhere.
Theres has got to be a better way of removing ivy besides spending your day on your knees. Any suggestions?

jkilov
10-20-2008, 05:22 PM
English Ivy is always hard to kill.

Best thing to do is wack it down with a trimmer where possible. Fallow up with Roundup Pro or Garlon 4 (or 3A, can't remember exactly which one). If rain does'nt wash it down it should work, but it takes like a week to work and success can be elusive :rolleyes:.

With trees and shrouds just cut the ivy at the base and leave the rest to die on its own.

tamadrummer
10-20-2008, 05:39 PM
You can trim the liriope right down to nothing and it will come right back. It will also thicken up with the cut. Don't worry about hurting it. Just use your line trimmer and it will be fine.

As far as IVY goes, it laughs at Glyphosate here anyway. Pulling it and applying a pre-m, don't know which one maybe barricade or snapshot or both to prevent it from coming back.

Personally I have been using with good success, Preen and Barricade (Yes I am licensed) in mulch beds and it lasts months and months with little to no breakthrough.

Good luck hope this helps.

Brian

Tharrell
10-20-2008, 05:39 PM
I walk away from that stuff!
I had one when I first started that was intermingled with heavy black plastic someone put down. It was a huge area too. I felt overwhelmed to say the least. Tony

Whitey4
10-20-2008, 06:03 PM
I had good luck this spring with an English Ivy job, but there was no other vegitaion I had to worry about injuring or killing. I hit it with Roundup Pro at the strongest rate, (with bonide sticker) and two weeks later, it looked almost unaffected. Hit it again three weeks after the initial application, and two weeks later, 100% kill.

Removal was relatively easy once it was dead. The stuff hasn't come back this season either. I don't think this is the right time to hit Ivy... it's going dormant in my region now. I'd hit it in the spring, and replant the liriope. Now way you can hand pull Ivy and keep it at bay... it just comes back. Gotta kill the roots.

NINER
10-20-2008, 06:18 PM
the only success i have had is to weed eat it down in the sring and hit with round-up when the leaves start to emerge twice a week apart. it has thick waxy leave and round-up wont penatrate it. i tried to kill it just a couple of weeks ago on another property and let the homeowner watch me mix up the potion just to prove to him it wont work this time of year i hit it 3 times and it did not effect the plant at all.

Whitey4
10-20-2008, 06:34 PM
I don't think weed whacking it before a Glyphosate application is a good idea. When it gets into it's most active growth period, in the spring, that is the time. The more leaf surface, the better. The more active the growth, the better.

Be SURE to use a surtificant, a good one... not Palmolive when you do spray it... as mentioned, the waxy leaves will not hold a Gly app without a good surtificant added to the tank mix. If it is where there is lilttle danger of drift... off target application, use a fine spray... small droplets which will tend to adhere better to the waxy leaf suface. Don't ry to soak the leaves... that just creates run-off.

Hitting Ivy at the max mix rate has worked for me, but mix ratio, timing and droplet size all factor into how well it will kill.

ed2hess
10-20-2008, 07:22 PM
We remove a lot of ivy and jasmine.......we weed eat it down first then simply use a big pick to cut it off. Roots aren't real deep. Don't worry about lirope if it don't come back simply replant it is cheap. Messing around with roundup takes weeks....now that temp is down/

Sweet Tater
10-20-2008, 07:29 PM
Thanks guys, guess for now I'll weed whack the heck out of it, then do as ya'l say with the round-up in the spring. Tharrell I know what you mean about feeling overwhelmed. There is soooooo much of that crap.

Tharrell
10-20-2008, 07:35 PM
I forgot to mention, a friend of mine has that stuff growing up a tree. She asked me if I could kill it, I explained I could only kill what I could reach. That's exactly what happened too. The stuff from the ground to about 10-11 feet eventually died but, the rest kept growing up the tree.
She wasn't that good of a friend or I would have told her to just cut the vines! I wanted to see a bushy vine seemingly coming from nowhere on a tree! Tony