PDA

View Full Version : Dillo Dirt

Sooner09
10-20-2008, 06:22 PM
Has anyone every tried this stuff, I'm thinking about topdressing my lawn with it to see how it works.

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/water/dillo.htm

treegal1
10-20-2008, 09:40 PM
no but it looks good, that is the standard " city post" that we see every place. it meets all the standards and the metal is no real high at all, I would say go for it, if its low cost then even better, get the test sheets from the dillo dirt, and you soil and then you have a road map of where you need to go with you soil, almost like paint by ###

cudaclan
10-21-2008, 09:03 PM
Our locals do the same at no cost to residence. However, I never had intentions in using it in the garden. Good thing too. Weeds were predominant and strange objects were found inside the “mixture”. It reminded me of an episode of Dirty Jobs. The one with Mike working in the water sanitation department. That was the first and last use of that product.

DUSTYCEDAR
10-28-2008, 06:59 PM
Wish it was closer i would try it

ICT Bill
10-28-2008, 09:16 PM
Wish it was closer i would try it

Pack up the truck and move to Austin, nice place especially the sunset grill

DeepGreenLawn
10-30-2008, 11:27 PM
I have a biosolid composting plant near by that I was using... then one day after a rain the problem showed... I was able to scoop up handfuls of glass that had washed off the top... and that was just off the top after a small shower... also... the stuff was hard to keep consistant... I am trying to find a good way to screen small enough to eliminate the glass... maybe when I start my own compost plant it will make a good N input... it was cheap as s%&^. Definitely wanting to feed it to the worms...

Projects I hope to tackle this winter...

DeepGreenLawn
10-30-2008, 11:28 PM
delete this post please...

Dchall_San_Antonio
11-20-2008, 02:29 PM
I have talked to the people who make Dillo Dirt. They also got the contract to make Alamo Gro in San Antonio. The way it is made is different from the municipal material made in Milwaukee (Milorganite) and Houston (Hou-Actinite). Dillo Dirt is made using predigested sewage from Austin. It is filtered before going into the sewage tank and then is digested anaerobically in a closed system. Then the nasty smelling goo (technical terms :) ) is trucked to the Dillo Dirt composting site where it is treated under the Texas state rules for making compost. They mix it with wet telephone books as well as municipal tree and grass trimmings. The windrows heat and are turned on a 3-5 day schedule to maintain high temps for the first 15 days. That heating process kills all the pathogens in the material. The piles are tested for pathogens and do not pass unless they have 0.00 pathogens in them. Then the windrows are turned every two weeks until they cool off. I'm not sure how long the process takes but it is very well controlled. The company that makes Dillo Dirt also makes compost from more conventional manure sources. They make enough compost to cover every fairway and every green on roughly 800 golf courses every year. They are very well respected in this area.