PDA

View Full Version : i never read dear abby but..............

TONTAGE
10-20-2008, 06:03 PM
since someone stole my trimmer last week,i got a chuckle out of the column today:
DEAR ABBY: A few weeks ago, I returned home after mowing the lawn at my mother's place and parked my truck behind my house. I left the lawnmower and a 5-gallon can of gas in the bed of my truck and went into the house for a drink of water. When I returned, the gas can was missing.
I bought another can, filled it with gas and added 2 pounds of sugar. Again, I parked my truck in the same spot with the gas can visible. An hour later, it too had disappeared.

A short while later, I noticed a neighbor's son and his friends pushing his car up the street. They said they had "engine problems." My wife thinks what I did was wrong and that I should offer to pay for this lad's engine repairs. What do you think? -- "A-GASSED" IN ILLINOIS

DEAR "A-GASSED": I disagree with your wife. What if the boys had another kind of engine problem and this was just a coincidence? I'm sure whoever stole your gas got an expensive lesson. Let's hope it also saved them from a life of crime.

Charles
10-20-2008, 06:11 PM
Yea he is da man:weightlifter: I hope it was the crooks that stole the gas:laugh:

lawnman_scott
10-20-2008, 10:39 PM
I have heard the sugar thing is a myth.

MJS
10-20-2008, 11:10 PM

I guarantee you if you go out and put 2# of sugar in your gas tank that it's not going to do the engine any favors. . .

Cool story :clapping: it's nice when a simple solution solves a problem like that.

Jason Pallas
10-21-2008, 11:31 AM
That's great! I had a similar experience. I suspected somone was stealing gas from us. I left two 5 gallon cans out - with a 2/3 gas. 1/3 water mix. It did 2k worth of damage to the guy's vehicle (fuel pump, injectors, engine, etc..... lol). BTW, I didn't feel one bit bad about it either. He got what he deserved. I figured he'd ripped off about $600 before I noticed it. Karma is a *****.

Way to go!

DBL
10-21-2008, 03:21 PM
thats a good one

KACYDS
10-25-2008, 04:28 PM
There is nothing more I hate, someone who steals. They deserve what they got.

procut
10-25-2008, 07:10 PM
Nice work! But......

I once heard of a farmer who was havnig probelms with kids stealing gas from him. So, he dumped a few pounds of sugar in the storage tank. Sure enough, the kids came by and filled up their car. A few miles down the road, the car quit running, and they had it towed to the shop. The mechanic asked where they last got fuel from.

To make a long story short, they took the farmer that the stole the gas from to court and sued him for the engine repairs, and won!

Amazing isn't it?

DLAWNS
10-27-2008, 09:03 AM
That's great! I had a similar experience. I suspected somone was stealing gas from us. I left two 5 gallon cans out - with a 2/3 gas. 1/3 water mix. It did 2k worth of damage to the guy's vehicle (fuel pump, injectors, engine, etc..... lol). BTW, I didn't feel one bit bad about it either. He got what he deserved. I figured he'd ripped off about $600 before I noticed it. Karma is a *****.

Way to go!

Nice man. That's awesome.

Greenleaf Lawns
10-27-2008, 12:49 PM
I LIKEY

:cool2:

EMJ
10-27-2008, 03:30 PM

Sugar does not disolve in gas. So you get a clogged fuel filter and a good lesson.

Scagguy
10-29-2008, 08:41 AM
Nice work! But......

I once heard of a farmer who was havnig probelms with kids stealing gas from him. So, he dumped a few pounds of sugar in the storage tank. Sure enough, the kids came by and filled up their car. A few miles down the road, the car quit running, and they had it towed to the shop. The mechanic asked where they last got fuel from.

To make a long story short, they took the farmer that the stole the gas from to court and sued him for the engine repairs, and won!

Amazing isn't it?

I don't think it's amazing at all. It sucks that either a jury or a judge would rule like that. Someone needs their ass kicked back to reality.

STIHL GUY
10-29-2008, 09:58 PM
tought that guy an expensive lesson

jkilov
10-30-2008, 08:45 PM
I have had gas cans stolen several times. I just can't understand people. 2 gallons of gas is worth 5-$7, the can is worth more.

Would you steal $10 ??? Get real.

Branch manager
10-30-2008, 11:16 PM
since someone stole my trimmer last week,i got a chuckle out of the column today:
DEAR ABBY: A few weeks ago, I returned home after mowing the lawn at my mother's place and parked my truck behind my house. I left the lawnmower and a 5-gallon can of gas in the bed of my truck and went into the house for a drink of water. When I returned, the gas can was missing.
I bought another can, filled it with gas and added 2 pounds of sugar. Again, I parked my truck in the same spot with the gas can visible. An hour later, it too had disappeared.

A short while later, I noticed a neighbor's son and his friends pushing his car up the street. They said they had "engine problems." My wife thinks what I did was wrong and that I should offer to pay for this lad's engine repairs. What do you think? -- "A-GASSED" IN ILLINOIS

DEAR "A-GASSED": I disagree with your wife. What if the boys had another kind of engine problem and this was just a coincidence? I'm sure whoever stole your gas got an expensive lesson. Let's hope it also saved them from a life of crime. Pretty clever on your part. Congrats on teaching some lowlife a lesson.It's kind of like those 'baitcars' the cops use.Made me smile!:laugh::drinkup: Keep those eyes open!:nono:

JimmyStew
10-31-2008, 08:22 PM
I'd try that too, but with my luck, I'd forget and end up using the gas myself.

Branch manager
11-06-2008, 09:51 AM
After some research, I have been told that sugar absolutely dissolves in gasoline. It gets drawn into engine, and it combusts with the gas, coating all pistons, rings, etc. with a nasty glaze,ruining the engine, pretty much.With shop rates as high as they are, it's a major repair. Maybe I should design and sell tags to attach to fuel cans that read: Is it gas? Is it sugar? Care to find out? Drop the can and back away!:laugh: Again: be vigilant,and keep your stuff in SIGHT whenever possible, under lock/key when not. Maybe rotate the breaks, so someone is nearby more often, rather than whole crew at once.This is what banks,etc.,do.Have fun, make $, be careful. :waving::usflag:

redman6565
11-06-2008, 03:04 PM
that sucks for the farmer that got sued.

MowHouston
11-08-2008, 12:09 AM
Nice work! But......

Amazing isn't it?

Eh. I call BS on that story. Why would any court find favor in the kids that stole from the FARMER'S tank? He had the right to put whatever the hell he wants in his own tank. lol. The kids made the decision to take it.

turboawd
11-16-2008, 09:58 PM
sugar dissolves and can gum up the system, but it wont do any major harm.
i've heard the best thing to use for revenge is BLEACH.
BLEACH in the gas will rust any metal it comes in contact with..... tanks, lines, pump, injectors.

GreenAcresFertCo.
11-17-2008, 07:33 PM
I'd try that too, but with my luck, I'd forget and end up using the gas myself.

My thoughts exactly

ovalracer44
11-19-2008, 05:37 PM
I guarantee you if you go out and put 2# of sugar in your gas tank that it's not going to do the engine any favors. . .

Cool story :clapping: it's nice when a simple solution solves a problem like that.

Sugar wouldnt do anything. The gas would dissolve it and might run a little rough for a while. Now if you want to cause someone problems put naval jelly in the gas.

punt66
11-19-2008, 05:57 PM
Its best to put water in the can.

Tim03
01-17-2009, 10:39 PM
Nice work! But......

Amazing isn't it?

It sounds like that farmer had a crappy lawyer, or he walked into court and flatly admitted that he set up the gas to cause damage, or the car didn't belong to the actual thieves.

It doesnt make sense to reward someone who suffered damage while engaging in a criminal act.

rlpsystems
01-28-2009, 10:09 PM
It sounds like that farmer had a crappy lawyer, or he walked into court and flatly admitted that he set up the gas to cause damage, or the car didn't belong to the actual thieves.

It doesnt make sense to reward someone who suffered damage while engaging in a criminal act.

Sounds to me like they had a little sugar in their tanks..

brucec32
01-29-2009, 06:59 PM
I believe it's been established that at least some of these "letters to Dear Abby, etc" are simply techniques to bring up an ethical topic the author wants to write about and not real letters from real people.

LawnGuy73
02-05-2009, 09:32 AM
Way to go! :nono:

IntegrityGuy
02-05-2009, 01:02 PM
MY friend buys gas form his buddy that owns a detail shop and every car that comes into the shop they take out 1 gallon of gas. MY buddy buys the gas for 1$ a gallon and sells it for 1.50$. He sold it to this one kid and the kid never paid so he asked me what to do and i told him to fill a gas can up with 2 gallons of gas and the rest with water and alot of salt. HE never had the balls to do it:cry:
:cry: