PDA

View Full Version : bidding cemetery

saylorsdad
10-20-2008, 07:39 PM
i have been asked to bid a cemetery with around 200 headstones pretty open so my 60in ztr should get around fine but there is alot of flowers and small limbs around what would be a good price? anyone have experience with cemetery's?

davis45
10-20-2008, 07:58 PM
We do alot of cemeteries. Need alot more info to help with your bid. Is it just mowing or will you be digging the graves also? 200 stones on how many acres? Trimmed how often? Most say every week, 2 weeks or some even 3 weeks. Weed control on rock areas? Any tree triming? Most require old plastic flowers to be removed after a certain amount of time, or once they become faided. Some times cemeteries can be complicated, they all want somethin different so lets know all the details.

Be sure your insurance covers everything that they wish. Broken headstones(some require this, mine do not).

saylorsdad
10-20-2008, 08:23 PM
it is around 4 acres bid will be pretty simple just mow, pick up limbs, pick up flowers, and weedeed. The cemetery is a country cemetery so there will be no spraying involved, broken headstones is a good question I will have to check on that.

Sweet Tater
10-20-2008, 08:39 PM
it is around 4 acres bid will be pretty simple just mow, pick up limbs, pick up flowers, and weedeed. The cemetery is a country cemetery so there will be no spraying involved, broken headstones is a good question I will have to check on that.

If you don't have it already get liability insurance. I mow an old country cemetery and it is way too easy to back over or turn around and knck a headstone.

supercuts
10-20-2008, 08:45 PM
thats alot of trimming.....i see $$ signs. try to plan it according to amount of time it will take. we can blow out 4 $40-45 lawns in an hour so id be shooting for a good $150/hr worth, but alot of the 16 year olds on here will be happy with $50/hr. so do whats right for you. dont forget how long it will take (and suck) to trim around all those headstones

davis45
10-20-2008, 08:56 PM
thats alot of trimming.....i see $$ signs. try to plan it according to amount of time it will take. we can blow out 4 $40-45 lawns in an hour so id be shooting for a good $150/hr worth, but alot of the 16 year olds on here will be happy with $50/hr. so do whats right for you. dont forget how long it will take (and suck) to trim around all those headstones

Thats the best part about Cemeteries, most sextons or Townships won't hire scrubs or little kids. Even if they did, they wouldn't last long without proper equipment.

saylorsdad, sounds like a small one so it shouldn't be much of a pain. We have one that is 20+ acres and somewhere between 2,000-2,800 stones.

Its hard to do an estimate on a Cemetery without seeing it. Go walk around a full line of the headstones and see how long it takes you. Shoot for no less than $85/hr.

MOHUSTLER
10-21-2008, 10:46 AM
Yes bid that for what its worth, Most LCO's shy away from them because of the trimming. You probably wont have many bids to compete aginst.

We use to do one that was 33 acres and 5,700 headstones. :hammerhead:
Never again...........

WoodBrothersLC
10-21-2008, 11:10 AM
We do a cemetary and there are a few things that are important in making your bid. The one we mow is an older cemetary with raised headstones and some old monuments. You need to make sure you cover your insurance expenses, the fact that you will use a lot of trimmer line, and the wear and tear of turning and backing up a lot with your mowers. Ours is a 2.5 acre cemetary and takes me and another guy 2.5 hours to mow and trim the whole thing. It works out to a little over $120 an hour. GET INSURANCE!!! It was a family friend's headstone thank goodness, and she had insurance, but before I was insured a few years ago I knocked over a $12,000 hand carved statue headstone above her husband's grave. Needless to say, I was lucky she bought insurance on the headstone and I went right out and got insurance myself.

-Mark

saylorsdad
10-22-2008, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the help guys I bid right around 66.5 hr and got the bid. They want two cuts this year then start in march of next year.